The "Tulpa Overview Video Project" Thread

MonarKay

So the other day I had an interesting idea- what if we had a simple video explaining what tulpa are and how they work?

So I started putting it together in my head. It would probably be about 5-6 minutes long, a narrated script with pictures, diagrams and such in the background. It would go over the basics of the concept while addressing frequently asked questions. If it turns out well, we could even go on to make more videos, like guides for possession and imposition. But that'll come later.

So, I want you guys' feedback and suggestions. What should be in it? How should certain subjects be approached? What sort of examples should be given to explain things? And then, we're going to need a narrator and some animators/clip editors. I can probably handle the script, once we've decided on what should be in it.

Here's my first draft so far. Feel free to edit it for... whatever you think should be changed. This is by no means finished.

If you're watching this video, chances are somebody just recently told you about the idea of "tulpas". And, if you're a skeptic like me, your first reaction was along the lines of "This is crazy! Either you're all lying, or you're all schizophrenic. No way this could possibly be a good thing." Am I right? Yeah, I understand. Trust me, I was just as doubtful as you when I first heard about it. And so, I suppose I've got some explaining to do.

The first question you've got to ask yourself is, "What is a tulpa?" Ah, but hold up, there's a bit of a problem here. See, tulpa has two meanings- it was originally a Tibetan word meaning "thoughtform", and they were believed by Buddhist monks to be objects and beings that one could create and destroy with the power of the mind. But don't go running away yet- our modern definition of tulpa strips away all the mystical stuff, and we view tulpa as a purely psychological concept. Or, more specifically, "An intelligent and self aware entity, existing entirely within the mind of a creator, but distinctly separate from the creator itself."

That clear it up? No, you've still got questions, I can tell. That's good! If you didn't have questions, I'd worry about your skepticism.

To really understand what a tulpa is, you first have to understand what it means to be self aware. See, the brain is a computer, designed* to perform calculations and give out orders to your body. But the thing that makes humans* so special is our "ego". The ego is the part of your brain that lets you say "I am". Without an ego, we would be like robots, functional in most ways, but incapable of thinking about ourselves objectively. Making a tulpa is essentially giving yourself a second ego- instead of thinking of yourself as one person, you're now thinking of yourself as two. There is no real difference between them, only the circumstances in which they were created is changed.

Now that you've more or less got the gist of "tulpas", it's time to tackle the elephant in the room- Why on earth would anyone do this intentionally?

---------- Other points:

How is this not a bad idea? Explain the emotional benefits of tulpa and how they are not a form of schizophrenia.

Are they physical? Explain that they are not physical, go over forms and gender identity.

What else can they do? Touch on a few of the various things they are capable of, such as parallel processing, memory recall, and possibly imposition.

----------

So yeah, that's it in a nutshell. But, I'm by no means an expert, so this will only succeed with lots of input from you guys. Everyone will get credit for even the smallest contribution- this is a community effort.

If you're willing to help with aspects like animation and narration, shoot me a PM. I'll do it all myself if I have to, but if other people have better voices/are better artists then me I'll be happy to pass the torch.

TL;DR I'm going to make a short introductory video about tulpa and I can't do it by myself. This is the thread to talk about it. Feedback and suggestions welcome. Thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things:

The biggest challenge you face is people not taking you seriously. No-one cares about what a tulpa can do when it seems that you're just talking about your imaginary friend, or you're delusional. To this end, you should start off by stating what is and isn't established - that you are aware that their sentience is questionable, and that the community as a whole tries to approach it scientifically. Best to state at this point that they are not physical, and that you follow the psychological viewpoint on tulpas. This will help avoid the viewer immediately dismissing your video for being 'delusional bullshit' or whatever.

The plural: 'tulpae' looks bad. I'd recommend using 'tulpas' as the plural to reduce ridicule.

Viewer retention taken care of, I'd advise putting "How is this not a bad idea" with "What they can do", making "What they can and can't do" the second topic.

I just think that going into the details and saying that they can posses to all crowds to hear is going to sound weird, not matter how you put it.

Maybe if this goes viral we should at least take some precautions like not saying f.e. that in switching the tulpa may block the host from coming back and things like that.

Anything that could scare newcomers would be bad, in fact. Like "memory modifying/deleting" and stuff like that.

Keep it at the basics and it should be fine.

The plural: 'tulpae' looks bad. I'd recommend using 'tulpas' as the plural to reduce ridicule.

This is subjective, that's not a fact and it's simply your opinion. Don't go using "it looks bad" as an argument because it looks bad for you, I think that both tulpae and tulpas are good words to use when referring to the plural of tulpa, and for the record, there are people that think that tuppers is the correct plural, so let's not censor words and let people decide what's best. In the end the best word is going to prevail.

For the record, it's going to be tulpae. lol

One last thing before I forget. It's a good idea to read progress reports and some threads from people around here, for example, the first time that their tulpa answered back and they knew for sure it was the tulpa and not themselves and things like that. That kind of thing is really charged with emotions and makes you wonder about all of it. Also, it's good to go into the early days of progress reports like going into the early days of a report of someone that had doubts and fear and things like that and then the later days where this person was happy with a tulpa, a companion that had a life of it's own and all. Kind like a before/after pictures of diets and things like that. Also, say how it's not something that one has to pay to do or anything like that, because some people will think "This is too good, how much does it cost". And don't forget to link this site!

I'm brazilian and my english is not really good, I'll do every mistake you imagine, but I'll try to avoid them.

Tulpa: Kuruminha

Form: My avatar.

Sentience: Confirmed.

Mindvoice: Not yet.

Working on: Visualization and Mindspeaking.

This is subjective, that's not a fact and it's simply your opinion. Don't go using "it looks bad" as an argument because it looks bad for you, I think that both tulpae and tulpas are good words to use when referring to the plural of tulpa, and for the record, there are people that think that tuppers is the correct plural, so let's not censor words and let people decide what's best. In the end the best word is going to prevail.

You're using the wrong mindset. I don't dislike 'tulpae' purely because it looks bad for me; it looks bad from a general outside standpoint.

The best word may not prevail because what the community thinks is the best is not necessarily what is the best from an outside standpoint. This video pitches to everyone, and given the importance of not coming off 'lol supernatural' etc., it's very important to consider what the average viewer would think. As an assessment, I'd go by the English plural for the better option in this aspect.

While this isn't the thread to actually argue about the plurals - what is? - it's worth noting that 'tulpae' has no linguistic backing whatsoever. There are two words imported into English from Tibetan that begin with 'a' that I know of: lama and sherpa. The plurals for these are 'lamas' and 'sherpas' respectively. Setting those precedents aside, it makes no sense linguistically to give a modern far-Eastern word a Roman plural. No sense at all. Even if "it looks bad" is subjective, that's an objective linguistic view.

"How is this not a bad idea" will be very important theme for audience from the very first seconds, I think you should place this as 2nd topic.

Alright, you and Waffles make a good point. The very first words heard should be the ones that reassure the skeptics. I'll get to work on how that could go and put it up in the OP.

Best to state at this point that they are not physical, and that you follow the psychological viewpoint on tulpas. This will help avoid the viewer immediately dismissing your video for being 'delusional bullshit' or whatever.

Yes, I was planning on doing this. I view Tulpa as being scientific as well. However, I'm still unsure if I should mention the supernatural aspects as well. If I do, I'll try and keep it brief and make it very clear that most of us don't agree with it.

Maybe if this goes viral we should at least take some precautions like not saying f.e. that in switching the tulpa may block the host from coming back and things like that.

Alright... I don't like leaving out information, but perhaps it would be better to leave the sensitive points alone for now, maybe go into more depth with them later.

One last thing before I forget. It's a good idea to read progress reports and some threads from people around here.

Will do.

Also, say how it's not something that one has to pay to do or anything like that, because some people will think "This is too good, how much does it cost". And don't forget to link this site!

Good point! Also, this is still up in the air, but I think it might be a good idea to make a tulpa.info Youtube channel with which to post the video. We'll see.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I didn't think about a lot of those things, so I'm glad I'm not doing this on my own.

EDIT: Also, on the subject of terminology, I was planning on taking the simplistic route and just using "Tulpa" as both the singular AND plural, like Sheep. Certainly not finalized though.

This should probably be added near the end but, you should make the viewer aware of a couple things:

A tulpa could very well be a life-long commitment,

And tulpa creation shouldn't be taken lightly.

This next part isn't really necessary (I just thought it would be neat), but maybe you could add testimonials from the community?

Or maybe add in an opinion from an expert in the field of psychology? That is, if one exists.

My Tulpa

And then it cuts to a scene where you're sitting in a padded cell.

If you want anyone to even take you remotely seriously you would need to look professional.

AKA:

- Have some kind of intro (optional but helps A LOT)

- Don´t wear sloppy clothes

- Don´t use a shitty camera

- Don´t use a shitty mic

- Have a good clear background (white wall etc or a clean environment, just not the back of mothers basement)

- Don´t be or look or sounds like you´re under the age of 18

- Don´t waver, have confidence in what you say, if you don´t seem like you believe what you´re talking about, other people won´t either.

If you chose not to show yourself while you explain it, a lot of these are obviously not required, but then whatever you put on the screen needs to make up for it.

I know it sounds like a lot, but unless you actually do these things, no one is going to bother listening to you, even if you have something interesting to say.

De bedste og smukkeste ting i verden kan hverken ses eller røres, de må opleves med hjertet.

It would be a good idea to bring up the horror story aspects and explain the fallacies in them. Also mention aspects like pain relieving and memory regain/retention.

Let's focus on the matter at hand, shall we?

I know it sounds like a lot, but unless you actually do these things, no one is going to bother listening to you, even if you have something interesting to say.

Oh yes, don't worry about that. I'm planning on having the narration over an animated video. The animations will be simplistic, but will highlight whatever is going on in the script, making it easier to understand. I DO intend this to look professional, and I don't intend my face to appear anywhere in it.

And nice idea about the intro. Not sure what it should be, but I will add something. Something to represent the whole community I hope.