A Bit of a Narration Guide

waffles

How does negative sentiment during narration affect a tulpa?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. How does negative sentiment during narration affect a tulpa?

• It doesn't
    • Distracts the host
    • Makes the tulpa feel bad
    • Negatively affects the tulpa's development

Question

The poll

Don't answer unless you know, because you yourself have a tulpa. No guesses please.

Pointless foreword

Narration is pretty much the most important step in tulpa creation - I think so, at least, and I would expect most to agree. But how many narration guides are there? I can't see any. There are a load of nice guides for everything else, but still people rock up into Q&A and ask basic questions about narration. They could put in a bit of effort and search the section for their question, which has likely been answered ten times before, for sure. But why do that when you can read a guide? So here's a guide.

The actual guide

This is all my opinion on what you should do. Don't take it as the divine word, but take some hints at least. Even if some of this isn't necessary, it might help your narration to be more productive. That said, this is only a guide, so don't treat it like the law.

When to do it?

If you're going to do personality, but haven't started it yet, then don't. If you're underway with, or have finished, personality then do it. If you're not going to do personality, then do it. If your tulpa isn't vocal and you fit the above criteria, then do it. If they're already speaking back then you probably needn't read this.

Starting off; get an idea of your tulpa

So you want to narrate? It's not just talking to yourself, or talking out loud, it's talking to your tulpa. Before you start with the ridiculous monologue, you should get a sense of who you're talking to. If you've done or are doing form, or personality, or even just an introductory session, then you should probably have in your mind some idea of your tulpa. If haven't done any of this and you don't have any idea of your tulpa, then do one of them, or just try your best to get an idea of your tulpa through visualisation. If you visualise them as a fluffy cloud then you can talk to the cloud, and so on - more generally, you can visualise your tulpa and talk to that.

NB: This isn't strictly necessary, it just helps most. It is far easier to narrate productively when you have something to narrate to, but not necessary, and if you think you can manage talking to your tulpa without this then by all means do. Having an idea of your tulpa helps by giving you something to narrate to. This makes it, on the whole, easier to narrate, and likely more productive too.

Starting off; focusing

At this point you should have some concept of your tulpa in your head. If you don't, jump back a section. If you do, great! Now it's time to talk at length; or, it isn't. As I have already said, you need to talk to your tulpa. When you start narrating, the most important thing is to get into the habit of addressing your tulpa. Make a conscious effort to talk to the idea of your tulpa that you have. You can talk complete gibberish for all it matters, just get the hang of talking to your tulpa. Consistently address them by their name. If you suddenly realise you've been talking to yourself, it's not a big deal. Stop and refocus. To reiterate, the most important thing is who you're talking to right now.

Actually narrating

So now you can talk to your tulpa? Great. If you feel as though you've got the hang of that, then you probably won't need to ever revisit it, even if you think you've lost it. Then, the next step; talking. Talk to your tulpa about anything. It doesn't matter what you say, as long as what you're saying has some sort of meaning. You should try to communicate in words rather than ideas - this helps to build language in them, which helps later on in the creation process. Narrate at any time, anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're not focusing 100% on narrating. The important thing now is to narrate all the time.

I don't know what the hell to talk about

You don't? Idiot. Anything.

Talk about what's going on around you; explain what you're doing, or what others are doing. Talk about what you're studying (if you're studying). Rant about politics, or history, or your favourite TV show. Explain the deeper meaning behind Tim Hecker's latest album. Make things up at random. Talk about your relationships, your problems, your sources of pain and stress; narration can be therapeutic. And so on.

Continuing

Been doing this for a while? Great. Do it more. Unless your tulpa's speaking, you should be speaking. Don't think you can skimp on narration afterwards, either. It helps with fluency, with a clearer voice, with development in general.

FAQ

Because questions are asked frequently. Because these things would break the flow of the main guide. Because the reader is assumed to be lazy.

Is this all necessary?

I'd say you need to narrate. This guide, however, is not the only way to go about it.

Can I narrate about...?

Yes. You won't give your tulpa 'bad energy' by telling them about what makes you angry. If you're narrating 'about' something then it's not going to be bad.

Can I narrate through...?

Reading to your tulpa counts as narration. Anything that involves speaking words to your tulpa is narration; it's all good.

Can I narrate while...?

Unless you're performing a task that requires all of your concentration, then you can narrate while doing it. Mopping floors at some poorly-paid job? Great time to narrate? Driving? Try not to get too into it, but if it's not seriously affecting your concentration then do it.

Is it bad to narrate while angry/frustrated?

Opinions differ, but I'd say no. If you're losing focus because of your emotion, then you'll be less productive, but it's not actually detrimental. If you think your 'negative emotions' are getting to them, that's not really that bad either. They live in your head, and they're going to have to get used to your emotion at some point. It's not going to make your tulpa evil; worst case, they get upset themselves.

Can I narrate in my head?

Yes. By all means.

Should I narrate out loud?

It's preferable. Speaking out loud is better for narration; it helps to differentiate your from your tulpa. Even muttering under your breath helps. But again, it's not necessary.

Am I doing it wrong?

It's very unlikely. Whatever your problem, you'd have a hell of a job actually narrating wrong.

How long am I going to be doing this?

Hour counts are evil etc. Aside, anywhere from a few days to a few months. You'd be somewhat unlucky to be narrating for more than two months if you're actually putting any effort into it. If you have autism and you had a harem of imaginary friends as a child, then expect to be narrating for less time.

This all seems somewhat complicated.

I've embellished the process with more detail than most will need, just for the sake of making sure. It's simple, really; talk to your tulpa until they talk back.

This is boring.

Talk about whatever you enjoy talking about. If you don't like talking, then just do it anyway. Why have a tulpa if you don't like talking?

I get distracted. What to do?

At least this is a question. Do something else while narrating. It honestly helps. If not, then talk about something you enjoy talking about. If not, narrate from a book or comic or whatever. If you still can't concentrate, then you should take some concentration-enhancing drugs, and God help you when you get down to proper forcing.

In closing

If you still have questions, then ask someone, be it me or anyone else, here or in Q&A. Remember to have fun narrating.

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Why do you think it's better to first do one of these before narrating?

It establishes the tulpa, and gives the host something to narrate to.

Why do you think they should do it?

It builds language, and command over actual words helps the tulpa a lot come vocalisation.

I asked few tulpae (I can't ask mine, because I don't do this with them) and they report that ranting don't feel as well as their hosts just talking to them.

More likely because the host stops talking to the tulpa during such a rant. If the host becomes distracted from the tulpa while talking under the influence of emotion - if it's that kind of rant - then it's easy to see how this could be detrimental. However, this is far from inevitable, and is simply a matter of focus. I, for one, rant all the time at my tulpa, and have done since the beginning, but there's no problem with it since I always rant to my tulpa, rather than just ranting. I'll add a bit into the main guide about this at some point; thanks Purlox.

and gives the host something to narrate to.

I guess it can help with that to some people, but you can simply use a name to make talking to your mindfolk easier. I know this is only a guide and you don't say that everything in it is 100% correct, but I think saying, that people need to have their tulpa have form, personality or believe that their tulpa is sentient before starting to talk to it, is an exaggeration that might hurt them because narration is useful at any point in the creation process. It's true that talking to yourself instead of the mindfolk might not be as helpful as talking directly to it, but just using a name to address your mindfolk works as well as imagining your mindfolk's form while doing it.

It's also possible to talk to your mindfolk without doing neither of the above mentioned stuff just by thinking of talking to your mindfolk, but I don't know how well a newcomer could do this.

More likely because the host stops talking to the tulpa during such a rant. If the host becomes distracted from the tulpa while talking under the influence of emotion - if it's that kind of rant - then it's easy to see how this could be detrimental. However, this is far from inevitable, and is simply a matter of focus. I, for one, rant all the time at my tulpa, and have done since the beginning, but there's no problem with it since I always rant to my tulpa, rather than just ranting. I'll add a bit into the main guide about this at some point; thanks Purlox.

It's possible that you are right, but I think it's also possible that the negative emotions aimed at your mindfolk during a rant can hurt or at least annoy them.

Have you asked your mindfolk for his/her opinion on this as they are directly affected by this unlike you and other hosts?

I guess it can help with that to some people, but you can simply use a name to make talking to your mindfolk easier. I know this is only a guide and you don't say that everything in it is 100% correct, but I think saying, that people need to have their tulpa have form, personality or believe that their tulpa is sentient before starting to talk to it, is an exaggeration that might hurt them because narration is useful at any point in the creation process. It's true that talking to yourself instead of the mindfolk might not be as helpful as talking directly to it, but just using a name to address your mindfolk works as well as imagining your mindfolk's form while doing it.

It's also possible to talk to your mindfolk without doing neither of the above mentioned stuff just by thinking of talking to your mindfolk, but I don't know how well a newcomer could do this.

What I think is necessary is having some idea of your tulpa, and those steps aid that. I'll update the guide to clarify and include these things, though.

It's possible that you are right, but I think it's also possible that the negative emotions aimed at your mindfolk during a rant can hurt or at least annoy them.

Have you asked your mindfolk for his/her opinion on this as they are directly affected by this unlike you and other hosts?

I don't believe in that 'negative emotions affect the tulpa negatively' stuff, and I said as much, I think. Of course I've consulted my tulpa on this, and they agree. It's not bad for a tulpa to hear you angry or frustrated; why would it be?

What I think is necessary is having some idea of your tulpa, and those steps aid that. I'll update the guide to clarify and include these things, though.

Could you also clarify on why you think having an idea of your tulpa helps and also on how and what it helps?

I don't believe in that 'negative emotions affect the tulpa negatively' stuff, and I said as much, I think. Of course I've consulted my tulpa on this, and they agree. It's not bad for a tulpa to hear you angry or frustrated; why would it be?

Maybe not, but I think making a poll where mindfolk can vote and say their opinion could be interesting to see and let us find out if the mindfolk I talked to are an exception or not.

Could you also clarify on why you think having an idea of your tulpa helps and also on how and what it helps?

Is that enough? It gives you something to narrate to. Countless times are the questions asked: "I can't 'feel' my tulpa"; "Narration feels like I'm talking to myself" etc. This helps that.

Maybe not, but I think making a poll where mindfolk can vote and say their opinion could be interesting to see and let us find out if the mindfolk I talked to are an exception or not.

Done; was that the kind of poll you meant?

Is that enough? It gives you something to narrate to. Countless times are the questions asked: "I can't 'feel' my tulpa"; "Narration feels like I'm talking to myself" etc. This helps that.

Seems good.

Done; was that the kind of poll you meant?

Yes, but I think it would be better if the poll was aimed at the person taking it (e.g. by changing "How does negative sentiment during narration affect a tulpa?" to "How does negative sentiment during narration affect your tulpa?"), if it was posted separately from the guide (probably in the research section), because the way it is now not that many people will notice it, and if there was an option "In some other way (post explanation below)" and "I have never done that, so I don't know".

Yes, but I think it would be better if the poll was aimed at the person taking it (e.g. by changing "How does negative sentiment during narration affect a tulpa?" to "How does negative sentiment during narration affect your tulpa?"), if it was posted separately from the guide (probably in the research section), because the way it is now not that many people will notice it, and if there was an option "In some other way (post explanation below)" and "I have never done that, so I don't know".

Only moderators and admins can edit polls, I think - avoids vote manipulation - so I added a note at the top of the OP.

Just to make this clear, perhaps I'm a bit slow, but when you're narrating you don't make a response for your Tulpa, you just continue to talk to her/him/it?

Just to make this clear, perhaps I'm a bit slow, but when you're narrating you don't make a response for your Tulpa, you just continue to talk to her/him/it?

Correct. That would be parroting, which most would advise against. Your tulpa will, eventually, be able to respond on their own.