A Bit of a Narration Guide

How does negative sentiment during narration affect a tulpa?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. How does negative sentiment during narration affect a tulpa?

• It doesn't
    • Distracts the host
    • Makes the tulpa feel bad
    • Negatively affects the tulpa's development

The poll

Don't answer unless you know, because you yourself have a tulpa. No guesses please.

Pointless foreword

Narration is pretty much the most important step in tulpa creation - I think so, at least, and I would expect most to agree. But how many narration guides are there? I can't see any. There are a load of nice guides for everything else, but still people rock up into Q&A and ask basic questions about narration. They could put in a bit of effort and search the section for their question, which has likely been answered ten times before, for sure. But why do that when you can read a guide? So here's a guide.

The actual guide

This is all my opinion on what you should do. Don't take it as the divine word, but take some hints at least. Even if some of this isn't necessary, it might help your narration to be more productive. That said, this is only a guide, so don't treat it like the law.

When to do it?

If you're going to do personality, but haven't started it yet, then don't. If you're underway with, or have finished, personality then do it. If you're not going to do personality, then do it. If your tulpa isn't vocal and you fit the above criteria, then do it. If they're already speaking back then you probably needn't read this.

Starting off; get an idea of your tulpa

So you want to narrate? It's not just talking to yourself, or talking out loud, it's talking to your tulpa. Before you start with the ridiculous monologue, you should get a sense of who you're talking to. If you've done or are doing form, or personality, or even just an introductory session, then you should probably have in your mind some idea of your tulpa. If haven't done any of this and you don't have any idea of your tulpa, then do one of them, or just try your best to get an idea of your tulpa through visualisation. If you visualise them as a fluffy cloud then you can talk to the cloud, and so on - more generally, you can visualise your tulpa and talk to that.

NB: This isn't strictly necessary, it just helps most. It is far easier to narrate productively when you have something to narrate to, but not necessary, and if you think you can manage talking to your tulpa without this then by all means do. Having an idea of your tulpa helps by giving you something to narrate to. This makes it, on the whole, easier to narrate, and likely more productive too.

Starting off; focusing

At this point you should have some concept of your tulpa in your head. If you don't, jump back a section. If you do, great! Now it's time to talk at length; or, it isn't. As I have already said, you need to talk to your tulpa. When you start narrating, the most important thing is to get into the habit of addressing your tulpa. Make a conscious effort to talk to the idea of your tulpa that you have. You can talk complete gibberish for all it matters, just get the hang of talking to your tulpa. Consistently address them by their name. If you suddenly realise you've been talking to yourself, it's not a big deal. Stop and refocus. To reiterate, the most important thing is who you're talking to right now.

Actually narrating

So now you can talk to your tulpa? Great. If you feel as though you've got the hang of that, then you probably won't need to ever revisit it, even if you think you've lost it. Then, the next step; talking. Talk to your tulpa about anything. It doesn't matter what you say, as long as what you're saying has some sort of meaning. You should try to communicate in words rather than ideas - this helps to build language in them, which helps later on in the creation process. Narrate at any time, anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're not focusing 100% on narrating. The important thing now is to narrate all the time.

I don't know what the hell to talk about

You don't? Idiot. Anything.

Talk about what's going on around you; explain what you're doing, or what others are doing. Talk about what you're studying (if you're studying). Rant about politics, or history, or your favourite TV show. Explain the deeper meaning behind Tim Hecker's latest album. Make things up at random. Talk about your relationships, your problems, your sources of pain and stress; narration can be therapeutic. And so on.

Continuing

Been doing this for a while? Great. Do it more. Unless your tulpa's speaking, you should be speaking. Don't think you can skimp on narration afterwards, either. It helps with fluency, with a clearer voice, with development in general.

FAQ

Because questions are asked frequently. Because these things would break the flow of the main guide. Because the reader is assumed to be lazy.

Is this all necessary?

I'd say you need to narrate. This guide, however, is not the only way to go about it.

Can I narrate about...?

Yes. You won't give your tulpa 'bad energy' by telling them about what makes you angry. If you're narrating 'about' something then it's not going to be bad.

Can I narrate through...?

Reading to your tulpa counts as narration. Anything that involves speaking words to your tulpa is narration; it's all good.

Can I narrate while...?

Unless you're performing a task that requires all of your concentration, then you can narrate while doing it. Mopping floors at some poorly-paid job? Great time to narrate? Driving? Try not to get too into it, but if it's not seriously affecting your concentration then do it.

Is it bad to narrate while angry/frustrated?

Opinions differ, but I'd say no. If you're losing focus because of your emotion, then you'll be less productive, but it's not actually detrimental. If you think your 'negative emotions' are getting to them, that's not really that bad either. They live in your head, and they're going to have to get used to your emotion at some point. It's not going to make your tulpa evil; worst case, they get upset themselves.

Can I narrate in my head?

Yes. By all means.

Should I narrate out loud?

It's preferable. Speaking out loud is better for narration; it helps to differentiate your from your tulpa. Even muttering under your breath helps. But again, it's not necessary.

Am I doing it wrong?

It's very unlikely. Whatever your problem, you'd have a hell of a job actually narrating wrong.

How long am I going to be doing this?

Hour counts are evil etc. Aside, anywhere from a few days to a few months. You'd be somewhat unlucky to be narrating for more than two months if you're actually putting any effort into it. If you have autism and you had a harem of imaginary friends as a child, then expect to be narrating for less time.

This all seems somewhat complicated.

I've embellished the process with more detail than most will need, just for the sake of making sure. It's simple, really; talk to your tulpa until they talk back.

This is boring.

Talk about whatever you enjoy talking about. If you don't like talking, then just do it anyway. Why have a tulpa if you don't like talking?

I get distracted. What to do?

At least this is a question. Do something else while narrating. It honestly helps. If not, then talk about something you enjoy talking about. If not, narrate from a book or comic or whatever. If you still can't concentrate, then you should take some concentration-enhancing drugs, and God help you when you get down to proper forcing.

In closing

If you still have questions, then ask someone, be it me or anyone else, here or in Q&A. Remember to have fun narrating.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I must ask, what are your opinions of parroting with narration similar to JD1215 and Fede's methods (they are pretty much the same method in that respect)?

Also quick typo, you put "Male" instead of "Make."

Noticed it too.

But thanks for the guide man, I was always unsure if I was "doing it right". Now I've got more confidence :)

Thankyou for this waffles, as a new person coming into the world of Tulpamancers, narration was one of the areas I understood least, but this helped heaps.

Name: Stranger (Until further notice)

Form: Human female

Birthday: 21-12-2012

Stage: Narration/Visualisation

Name: Carer (Until further notice)

Form: Human female

Birthday: ? (probably around the same time as Strangers)

Stage: Narration/Visualisation

So I must ask, what are your opinions of parroting with narration similar to JD1215 and Fede's methods (they are pretty much the same method in that respect)?

I don't feel strongly about parroting. It's not narration though, and thus will not be covered in this guide

Fixed a few typos; thanks TIN TIN.

Starting off; get an idea of your tulpa

So you want to narrate? It's not just talking to yourself, or talking out loud, it's talking to your tulpa. Before you start with the ridiculous monologue, you need to get a sense of who you're talking to. If you've done or are doing form, or personality, or even just this excellent introductory session, then you should probably have in your mind some idea of your tulpa. If haven't done any of this and you don't have any idea of your tulpa, then do one of them, or just try your best to get an idea of your tulpa through visualisation. If you visualise them as a fluffy cloud then you can talk to the cloud, and so on.

Why do you think it's better to first do one of these before narrating?

You should try to communicate in words rather than ideas.

Why do you think they should do it?

Can I narrate about x?

Yes. You won't give your tulpa 'bad energy' by telling them about what makes you angry. If you're narrating 'about' something then it's not going to be bad.

I asked few tulpae (I can't ask mine, because I don't do this with them) and they report that ranting don't feel as well as their hosts just talking to them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OrdoVsInfo
      So i started development of a tulpa about 2.5 days ago and she's been progressing very rapidly. The first day I spent forcing I came up with a placeholder form and name to help visualize ( I called her Tulp before she chose her own ) and embedded that form with some basic traits i wanted her to be built around and started narateing and parroting her responses. a while later she began to answer me with yes and no. she told me later she knew I would think I was still parroting if she just answered normally so instead since she already knew what i was going to say she interrupted me while i was relaying the thought to her. The next day I tried talking to her more and she started to diversify her vocabulary a bit with words like sure, uh-huh, nope, or nah. Later that day I asked her how she was feeling and she responded with happy. Whenever I ask questions that require more than one word to answer though I feel like i'm definitely parroting because the responses are exactly what I thought she'd say and they don't sound or feel like her. Later that day we talked about what kinda form she wanted and she decided she's 6'2", has black medium length hair, fair skin, a wide mouth and a perky nose. I also asked her what her favorite primary color is and she said yellow. We'll keep working hard and i'll post more updates as they come!

UPDATE

i forgot to mention that i created a mindspace for us that consists of my room and her room ( witch she decorated all b herself! ) and outside is a street and on the other side of that is a park. the street cuts off on both sides and the entire rest of the area is covered in grass as far as the eye can see. Tulip spends a lot of time in the park and also likes to draw things from my memories sometimes.
    • By Celest
      Greetings. I wouldn't say that I'm an advanced tulpamancer in the slightest. In fact, I'm still just learning things, myself, but during the drive home today, an idea had struck me that I put to the test, and began to see results with. I thought that I would share it here to see if others have tried it, or might be able to build upon this and share results.

For some beginning tulpamancers, early forms of communication from their tulpa mainly stems from headpressures. I am one of those. Normally, during everyday narration, I try to put some yes/no, positive/negative questions in there to get a response from Vinyl, and normally I do. However, I didn't want myself to become dependent on keeping things that way, in case I was only training myself. So, what I did was I told Vinyl, "We're going to change things up a bit. Instead of poking my left temple with pressure for positive and the right for negative, we're going to reverse them. Now, if you like something, poke the right, and if you dislike something, poke the left."

The results were immediate for me. I had turned on a music playlist that we're familiar with listening to that has some of her favorite tracks on it. I asked her to tell me if she liked the upcoming song that she had previously 'mentioned' to me before that she has. The result was headpressure on the right instead of the left, and not a weak one, either! Things continued that way, answering yes/no on the corresponding sides of my head.

Basically, my tip for beginners is to try and vary up how you perceive responses from your tulpa. If you're familiar with one method for a while, surprise yourself and your tulpa with a slightly different approach to the same method, and see if the results come out in high favor.

Another tip that I have started practicing, and I feel as if it is working wonders for me, does involve the use of parroting and puppeting during the beginning stages of raising your tulpa. Mind you, I can definitely understand how there can be doubt when it comes to using these tricks. Is it still you puppeting or parroting down the line, or is it your tulpa?

Something that I've been doing is if you're going to parrot your tulpa, or puppet them, let them know that you're going to. How I see it, it's common sense, however that doesn't mean that it isn't always done. I feel that if you start everything off knowing that it is you, and you discuss it to your tulpa first, and when you're done, that you tell them that you're no longer going to puppet/parrot them, you put yourself into a mindset that it can only happen while you have control over it. Thus, if your tulpa replies to you, you've already closed off your thinking that you're still in control of it. Sure, it might involve a bit of training your mind to perceive it that way, but it's definitely worked for me, and perhaps it will for you, as well.

If you are one who uses headpressure for communication, something that may or may not help you along the path to vocality is implementing more responses for your tulpa to work with. In general, most people start off with positive/negative responses on either side of their head. What I've done recently was added a front/back for OK and 'IDK'. It's worked out rather well for me, and it gives your tulpa a bit more freedom to express themselves. I'd say start off with your basic positive/negative, and if the two of you are comfortable/ready, add more responses.

Another thing that I noticed earlier today is that some people will go on an 'absense' with their tulpa, so that when they try working with them again, they run into complications getting things back to where they were. I am no tulpa expert in the slightest, but what I do that helps keep things going smoothly is that I passive force daily. As long as you can find even one spare minute a day, that's all that you would need to greet your tulpa, let them know that you still acknowledge their existence, maybe bring up how the day is going, or what you are feeling. It doesn't matter how busy you are in a day, there's always going to be some straggling moments that you can squeeze in a greeting or mini-convo. Doing this, I believe, should help keep the relationship between you and your tulpa consistent.
    • By Cosmic Cuttlebone
      Well, I've lurked, and I've lurked, and then I've lurked some more.
      I've read pretty much every guide there is. But now it's time to actually get to work
      Problem is... Well, you see, I'm lazy. Like, really really lazy. I also have a habit of hesitating and second guessing myself. I can also get a little distracted. Sometimes.
      So, I'm starting this little journal here.
      I'll try to add a post here periodically, even if it is relatively short. At least in the beginning. Cultivating this small habit will hopefully force a little discipline.
      Typing it all out will hopefully solidify my thoughts. Yell at me if don't keep this up. :Þ

That being said. Lets start:

Why am I doing this? What do I hope to gain?
      Well a companion for one. I don't have that much trouble making friends, but I have trouble keeping and maintaining connections. I've quite often drifted or grown apart from many people in my life. I'm a bit socially awkward, maybe even a bit socially anxious in some respects. I can certainly hide it, but the more people are around, the more I find myself wishing I was somewhere else, doing something else. It's not that I hate people, I don't.  And I don't plan to stop making connections with physical people. I just don't have the physical or mental energy to deal with too many people for too long.

Still, the opportunity for someone to understand me on a truly deep level that no one else can is very enticing. I can only hope that I'll be, and remain, worthy of this connection.

This will also be a bit of an ego journey for me. A chance to better know and understand myself as well as my future headmate. having someone to share this journey with will make it much more enjoyable.

Also add to that the opportunity to learn first hand an experience that seems rather alien at first glance and that I'm already a creative person, this becomes less of a choice and more of an inevitability.

The start
      Right now I have a name and very loose, general idea of who I hope this tulpa will be.
      Staying within the tradition of opposite genderedness in tulpamancy, "Hazel" will start female. This will help me differentiate her thoughts from mine.

A couple main traits I will be cultivating are:
      Compassion- A personal code I like to live by is if someone needs or asks for help and I am able to do so, then I will help. Lessen the suffering of others. Having her share in that will make it simpler to coexist. This will also encourage many positive traits
      Curiosity- a desire to learn and grow will help develop her and push her to be self sustaining
      Outspokenness-  to encourage vocality.
      this is not exhaustive just some major points

What I won't be forcing:
      Love- From what I understand, most tulpas tend to be already naturally very caring towards their hosts. Also love, I feel, needs to develop naturally. Making someone love me just feels weird. plus that is a pressure I wouldn't want on anyone. Still, I'm sure my subconscious may still add this to the list regardless.
      Lust- same

Form:
      I don't have much of a form for her yet. I've had some ideas but none are really sticking. It is humanoid though. Freckles and dark hair are also coming to mind. That could just be my attraction to them.

I will, of course, accept any deviation from her. Encourage it, even.

The Method
      I'm a very secular being by nature. Still, the mind loves symbols and most of the tulpamantic process is extremely symbolic. As such, I'll be taking some inspiration from the occult, particularly chaos magic.
      so:
      I love symbols, glyphs, and sigils. This is a representation of my intent to create a thoughtform. It is a seed or an egg as the round shape suggests. A beginning. Small and empty at first, but as time goes on, I'll be altering it and adding to it. It will slowly grow as she grows. In time, I may pass it to her. I'm creative by nature so this will just be a natural part of my creative process. The dotted outline suggests openness, inviting life to enter. The geometric shapes invoke a crystalline structure to "trap" the energy or qualities being cultivated. (Again, I'm not a proponent of metaphysics, but the symbology here is very useful).

I will use and meditate on this as an aid while I cultivate her development. I'm not too fond of the term 'forcing' at all, so I'll use the term 'cultivate' as it way better describes the process: to raise, to grow, to prepare, do develop, to improve, to acquire. It brings to mind watering and tending to a garden. This will further put me in the right mindset. (I also have mixed thoughts on the terms tulpa and tulpamancy but I have no desire to get into a fight with the entire lexicon).

Wish me luck.
    • By kiyomochie
      Hello everyone!! I’m Ren, pretty new here (been lurking on the site for a few months but never made an account). I actually got introduced to the idea of tulpamancy through Danganronpa V3, by Korekiyo Shinguuji. Funnily enough, guess who’s now my tulpa?... Yep. Korekiyo himself!! So I guess I’ll be putting my progress with him here. 

Kiyo’s been around for a month and a half now. His growth has been rapid. I never really had anything in my mind blocking his existence, so it was pretty easy for him to develop sentience (or at least what we consider sentience) in a short amount of time. Our wonderland was also formed in a matter of days, but Kiyo has been adjusting it as he sees fit, so who knows what it looks like now? 

He’s also been working on vocality, being really pushing to adopt his voice. He sounds, looks, and acts exactly like the character.. so maybe he’s a fictive? Either way, Kiyo’s aware that he and that character are not the same being, but he considers himself to be a reincarnation of the character, without the trauma and suffering. 

He’s really interested in anthropology, of course, and since that’s the career path I want to pursue as well (I’m 15), we’ve been reading a lot of anthropology books together. It’s quite a positive experience, although he does sometimes get annoyed with me when I don’t read them for while, and starts being REALLY sarcastic. It’s okay, though.

When I get into arguments with my parents, Kiyo is with me, urging me to keep my cool and not waste my time on them. I wonder if he looks down on them? When he especially disagrees with them, he calls them “petty idiots”. I don’t have any issues with my parents, I love them more than anything, but Korekiyo gets mighty judgemental of people he doesn’t trust, and it takes him a long time to trust someone. But, he doesn’t ever wish harm on anyone, and shows no urges to lash out, rather wishing for me to do the opposite. So I’d say it’s rather inconsequential.

Kiyo can sort of talk through me. What I mean by that is that he tells me what he wants to say, and I type it out. But more often than not, I have a general idea of what he wants to say without him saying anything to me. When I ask him about it, though, he confirms that that is what he was saying. So maybe we just mentally communicate really fast?

I can definitely make out a difference between my texting pattern and his, and it’s not a conscious choice- when I’m typing for Kiyo, I don’t have to think out what he says, although he speaks in a much more formal manner than I do. It just kinda comes to me naturally, as though he is speaking through my fingertips. Really interesting!

We want to get better at possession (or more accurately, we want to be able to do it at all). Any tips from experienced tulpamancers? Also, encouraging notes are appreciated, by both me and Kiyo.
      (Also, I included an edit I made of him! SPOILERS!!)

IMG_4885.MP4 IMG_4885.MP4 Good day to all! Bye!  
      -Ren
    • By Renesmee
      Hi! Renesmee here. So, today I created Rosalie (placeholder name). I introduced myself during an active-forcing session and then sent an email to an account I set up so I could email her for forcing. I'm feeling encouraged and optimistic. More reports as events warrant!