[split] Removing the shout box

Purlox

Your argument is "if you actually look at the place you see why it's awful". I just told you we look at the place and don't see why it's so awful. So, ball's in your court; nut up or shut up. Give some actual reasons. "If you don't see the problem then something's just wrong with you" is a pretty weak cop-out.

Astral project on my face, brother!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Sands:

You're the one saying there's something wrong with it. If you don't have something, or can't provide anything, to back up that claim, then 1. your argument has no apparent basis 2. people aren't going to take it seriously.

Well no, actually.

I can't stand looking at #tulpa.info for more than 12 seconds without giving myself an ulcer.

Was the first time when someone said it was awful. Well not really the first time in this thread if you look at the earlier pages, but you get the point. You guys asked him for logs, I told you to take your own logs by looking at the channel. Do it, post logs. There's your proof. Enjoy.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

I sent this to Amadeus, may as well post here.

In the moderator reports, you picked that quote about Satan and "dubshit."

Here is my rebuttal! Prepare.

1: You purposefully picked /one/ quote that makes the box look bad. There are plenty of other times you could have picked, that would have made the box look like amazing. Don't ask me for a quote, I can't since the box is gone.

2: you said "The first thing they see-" move the box to the bottom of the page. It has been said so many times.

On another note. The box had a completely different feeling to it compared to the IRC. I remember joining in on the conversation, when I had just joined. I made friends there and felt so accepted into this community. Like I had a real connection to the forum and it's members. Now, I really feel like I'm not connected to it at all.

The performance issue is one I cannot form a rebuttal against, as I have no knowledge on the subject of computers.

I could structure this better and such, but I am on a phone.

My opinions are all subject to change.

Guest ThunderClap

I'm not saying the shoutbox is any better than irc. At times they can be the same.

The content isn't defined by what chatting mechanism you use, weather it be shoutbox or irc, but it's defined by the users that use it.

What I say on Skype is no different than what I'd say on a SMS message or Irc message.

What I am trying to say is, a shoutbox is no different than an irc. They're just two different forms of communication.

Excuse the horrendous grammar and formatting.

You have no idea how annoying the text entry fields are on mobile.

No. Idea.

Guest Albatross_

Yeah this site is dead.

I support the removal of the shoutbox.

That said, can I get the first 300 pages of logs? I used to look at them from time to time and reminisce.

Can someone from the people that can't use IRC on mobile say what mobile they use? I know of people that use Android phones and iPhones and they can use IRC just fine.

FirefoxOS/BREW dualboot

Guest BrownSubmarine

You guys asked him for logs, I told you to take your own logs by looking at the channel. Do it, post logs. There's your proof. Enjoy.

L\ I just read logs from last 6 months to look for your 12 seconds but it only proved that IRC is pretty good.

And following on from that, the #tulpa.shoutbox IRC channel seems pretty populated by many of the users who used the Shoutbox, and it's been like this basically non-stop for the last 7 hours (I can provide lengthy logs if anyone wants). And the majority of users, from what they've said, don't find it that different to the Shoutbox.

Guest Anonymous

And following on from that, the #tulpa.shoutbox IRC channel seems pretty populated by many of the users who used the Shoutbox, and it's been like this basically non-stop for the last 7 hours (I can provide lengthy logs if anyone wants). And the majority of users, from what they've said, don't find it that different to the Shoutbox.

Today's logs for .info and .shoutbox:

qH2sV.pngnoBrj.png

Looking through this whole affair, there are a few things that strike me.

One, that most of the arguments that Pleeb invoked make little sense.

-any community resists change: this is a large change. Removing what is more or less the most active place on the site (that is, where new content is posted most quickly) is a bit more than a sidebar change

-on a related note, no-one spoke up about the proposition until it was done: that'd be because many of the shoutbox users only used the shoutbox. The people who cared the most about the shoutbox may not have frequented the forums proper.

-#tulpa.shoutbox is fine: well, it's fine now, but it's only been a few hours since its formation. What the future holds for it is as yet unseen.

-people can go elsewhere: you don't want to split the community up. You can look at the naysayers and come to the conclusion that tulpa.info is declining. Telling people to, in a sense, go away and form their own place seems to me to be counterproductive to keeping this site healthy.

-the shoutbox isn't professional: well, that's been covered already. The main point is that it could be moved. I actually use the classic MyBB theme, and the shoutbox is at the bottom of the main page on that. Besides that, there's no hint of professionalism on the forums anyway; a quick head-count of MLP avatars and such will tell you that.

-the shoutbox is a resource hog: this one, at least, is true. But at 15/18/25% CPU load (whatever it was) it would seem as though you have room to spare for now. Especially since traffic seems to be declining, you wouldn't miss it terribly.

Also, hostility towards the official IRC channels is justified for a few reasons.

One, that what constitutes a 'good' channel is subjective, and past base language and the like, no logs will show a dedicated #.info mod how others have come to feel about their channel.

Two, that the moderation staff of said channels is distrusted by some at best. Especially when you go around with your purple badge, it seems to some that you just want power anywhere.