"NPC"'s and the chance of getting sentient

abcdefg

Sooo recently my Tulpa Yuki created a city with NPCs and everything (which i never managed to do.. meh) and now I wonder if it's possible to accidently upgrade an NPC to a Tulpa/making it sentient by giving it too much attention.

Does anyone here have experience with NPCs or a scenario such as this? I am really scared of creating another Tulpa and want to prevent that!

It is possible, but just remember that they aren't sentient; they're just simulations. They may seem somewhat sentient or even completely autonomous, but they are not. If you're afraid they will gain sentience, it's more likely that they will. Belief is important here, so you have to believe it won't happen.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to avoid forming close relationships with NPCs, just in case. We have NPCs, but they're mainly just there for realism (since our wonderland is a city, I figured it should look populated); I hardly actually talk with any of them, just for the sake of being careful.

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

Guest BrownSubmarine

Well, chance of getting NPC sentient is same as getting sentient house or tree but it's harder to get those because of your belief. You won't end up with NPC being a tulpa if you'll treat them as element of wonderland.

We had some generated NPC's and recently even some basic (or getting advanced as Lyra says) village, they can talk and react dynamically on situation but there is no real awareness, they react only on things that are directly in wonderland. They are able to logically respond for questions about current situation or themselves but haven't tried to talk with them more. Don't get tied to them and try to avoiding names or giving them unique and static appearance, it will prevent you from getting too close.

Hm this leads me to thinking that a small village with ~25 people with fixed names and appearances and everything would probably lead to insanity (aka 25 tupper from which some may even be hostile). Only if you really spend much time with them of course.

lol a tupper ain't sentient. If it's "sentient", then it's just as fucking sentient as an "NPC". They're both imaginary characters. It's what you acknowledge that defines their behavior. There are no ethics. Tuppers are not special.

I've had tons of tuppers come and go, simply because I acknowledged them for a short period of time and then just stopped thinking about them. What does this tell me? It's quite literally the thought that counts. Louis, Pinkie, and Shanti are just as sentient and "unique" as those temporary ones were. The difference is just that I intend to only keep this set of imaginary friends consistent, while all the others can be as random and sporadic as whatever.

Guest BrownSubmarine

L\ Well, nobody is really "sentient" because our decision are based on schemas, situation and emotions. You have not made any decision in your life. And that post isn't special.

If something disappeared and is no longer SENTIENT (aware of situation, capable of own opinion and having memory) you could question if it was a tulpa and not the tulpa as being itself.

What's the point of using words if you are going to point at everything this word describe and say "oh, it's no longer matching"?

We're both stubbornly going by psychological assumptions that cannot be proven, so I'm not even gonna try to that answer that horribly crytic post. It would lead to nowhere.

Guest BrownSubmarine

L\ You're pretty much right. To avoid something like this there should be some community definition for words like "sentience".

To not be offtopic I would add something about NPC's: from what I heard some NPC's work only if their creator is watching them or wants to interact with them, if you'll plan to create some civilization try to create them as element of wonderland rather than your own NPC's so they will work even if nobody will pay any attention to them.

You still have responded to my post.

But did I answer it? I'm not sure.

I just define sentience as "behaving independently", in the sense that it's the behavior that counts, and doesn't necessarily imply any independence. But then one has to define independence, and then the discussion becomes really fucking retarded.

Guest BrownSubmarine

L\ For me complete independence would be when tulpa could work using the body even while host would be sleeping or not active at all ("dead", or just idling, basically when he doesn't experience and is aware).

If you say you are sentient you have to say your tulpa is sentient too (unless your tulpa isn't fully separated and you have to put effort and attention to let her do certain things) because both of you are driven by the same mechanism. NPC's can't be counted as sentient as they are controlled by the same thing wonderland is controlled. When wonderland would be stopped NPC's would be stopped too. Of course you could call them sentient but that wouldn't be the same sentience the tulpa or host has.

Even silence can be an answer. :>