Imposition and Phantom Tail Syndrome

Riku Aotsuki

I wonder if this could be applied here. However I see a few issues:

• You need to be able to see where the brush is in empty space. This will be a problem for tails and especially ears and wings.
  • You need an existing limb to map to. So, adding a third hand sticking out the middle of the chest works with this method, but adding something there's no existing sensation for not so much.
  • It sounds like what's being done here isn't so much adding a third hand as overriding proprioception and making you feel as if your already existing hand is in this block of empty space. As long as you aren't feeling in all three hands at once, and the resultant hand just feels like your right hand, no limbs have really been added to the mental map.

I'm thinking the closest we could apply here is a three-phase process. Our goal is to touch the imagined tail with a physical hand, and feel both the hand on the tail and the tail in the hand.

1. Learn to hallucinate touch vividly in physical body parts. Use an imaginary paintbrush held by your imaginary right hand to stoke your physical left arm. Practice this and similar sensations and get it as vivid and real as possible.

2. Do the reverse, what the scientists did: physical brush in physical hand stroking imaginary arm. Simultaneously stroking the physical arm with a brush will help (either requires a partner or use the imaginary brush from step 1 now that it's vivid). Again practice and make the touch sensation vivid.

3. Combine the two, touching an imaginary limb with a physical one, and feeling it fully vividly in both. You might practice it with hand on arm, but ultimately the imaginary limb here will be a tail, wing, or ear, obviously.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if you didn't know that someone was behind you and "touched" them? Would you still feel it?

A friend of mine touched my phantom tail while I wasn't paying attention. So you can, yeah.

• 10 months later...

This has been a great thread, also, I have two days of working in my wolf ears (I only feel a little pressure when I focus in them). So I have a few questions.

How long it takes for get the Phantom Tail Syndrome? (I know that it depends of the person, but I just ask for a "estimated" of time or work)

What tips do you recommend me for get the PTS besides the typical vizualization and imagination?

Whatever, thanks for your attention. Greetings

Tulpa name: Kiä

Form: Three tails white fox (kitsune) "My image profile"

Sex: Female

Working on: Narration

Sorry if I have some grammatical errors, the english isn't my natal language. It's spanish.

Usbac, I feel I must thank you for digging this thread up, it's fascinating... I had no idea this was such a widespread thing! I changed my wonderland form to a bat pony very early on, and after a while I found myself feeling a sort of tension in my shoulder blades whenever I moved my wings while forcing, and these days when I focus on myself in the wonderland I can sort of feel them on my sides when they're folded away too; I can even feel them as we speak... Recently I've changed myself to a dragon form for various reasons and now I get the exact same feeling in my tailbone.

I think I may read through this thread more carefully soon for more info, as this form makes me feel more confident, and I wonder if imposing these body parts might help me feel more confident in my everyday life too...

Thunderfall (goes by Thunder)

Male human

Melody

Female lamia

Stryke I was thinking in that too: the people can feel more confident with this "imposed body parts" that the others persons can't see it, but this should change the perspective about how we see ourselves (something amazing and useful for us).

I hope to keep alive this thread because this theme is fascinating :)

Sorry if I have some grammatical errors, the english isn't my natal language. It's spanish.

When I was younger, I would often wear a fake fox tail for the sake of having fun. I am a furry, and at the time I was into the costuming aspect of the fandom. I would sometimes forget that I had taken it off, because I could sort of feel it's presence behind me, although I knew it wasn't actually there. I didn't wear it so often that I could actually feel it as if it were a part of my body, though. I believe what I have personally experienced is the most common form of phantom tail, although it isn't very vivid.

• 10 months later...

I actually feel phantom tail syndrome quite a bit when my tulpas possess me. With Pinky, I often feel like I'm in her body, or that I at least have parts of it. I most easily feel her horns and tail, and sometimes, on better days, I can even feel minute details like the claws on her fingertips and toes. It often happens without me putting much thought in it, actually, though I suppose it's possible that I sort of "practice" unintentionally just because it's such an interesting sensation and I focus on it more when it comes up.

Pinky is not a pony. She's an imp.

Sunray is an angel-imp. Ex is humanoid. Kael is a dragon. Magnum is a dog.

• 1 month later...

OMG, i'm in the community again after a long time xD

I wanna talk about something, i had been doing a phantom wolf/fox ears a year ago but after 3 or 4 days, I left it (I forget why I did that).

But today, I remember the PTS and now I'm decided to do it without leaving it as before. I started today at 1:00 AM before sleep, all this day i have been focused in my wolf/fox ears while i was in school and in my home, I have a strange sensation in my head, it's not very intense and I can barely feel it only if I concentrate on the ears, I think I'm doing it right, I hope to have my complete ears in the following days. And when i get it, i'll make a guide/tutorial in english and spanish (my natal language).

And a silly question, How long it would take to make a phantom limb? I know that it depends of the person but i'm asking for a estimate...

Also, i hope to revive this thread because is very interesting ^^

Im actually starting to impose a tail/tulpa basically a conjoined twin xD except not my twin just a conjoined being to me so a tail that's able to talk, see, hear, and touch and give hugs x3

Im loving this thread thanks for bringing it up

Starburst is an anthropomorphic wolf/ice dragon