It's 'tulpas', not 'tulpae'

Lulu

How do you like to pluralize tulpa?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like to pluralize tulpa?

• Tulpa
    • Tulpas
    • Tulpi
    • Tulpae

It was a joke...

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psyche: "I will always prefer to refer to myself as a construct."

Sybil: "Where is the logic in arguing over a label? Tulpae, tulpas, tuppers, constructs, juggalos, rocks, the labels themselves do not define us, and therefor do not matter."

We're talking about grammar, mate.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Happy Grammar Day, Sands! This just might be the weirdest grammar discussion on the internet today. But I digress, I accept all of the plural forms mentioned in this thread. For myself, I have used 'thoughtforms' or when that didn't workm 'tulpas' as my prefered plurality; but I have to say, I am beginning to lean towards 'tulpa' instead.

my thoughtform = Isis

her appearance = stylized rabbit with dark fur and glowing eyes

her developmental stage = imaginary friend

Psyche: "I will always prefer to refer to myself as a construct."

Sybil: "Where is the logic in arguing over a label? Tulpae, tulpas, tuppers, constructs, juggalos, rocks, the labels themselves do not define us, and therefor do not matter."

Hippies.

• 1 month later...

Considering that it isn't of Latin origin, but of Tibetan origin, it is absurd to use Latin inflection, i.e. "tulpae". One should either say 'tulpa' -- in both plural and singular, as in the original language -- or just follow standard English plauralisation (tulpas).

But to arbitrarily follow Latin rules of pluralisation for a Tibetan word is absurd.

Let people say what they're going to say. It doesn't matter

Sure, let people say what they're going to say. People will say all kinds of illiterate things, and there's nothing we can do to stop them. But we should still educate them and point out that 'tulpa' isn't a Latin word and therefore need not conform to Latin rules of pluralisation.

I think it's pretty straight forward:

1.) Use standard English pluralisation (tulpas)

2.) If you want to be pedantic, I guess you could use Tibetan pluralisation. In the Tibetan language, the plural form of tulpa is tulpa, just as in English the plural form of moose is moose.

3.) Or you could just translate 'tulpa' into some English equivalent (such as thoughtform, or thought-construction)

But to arbitrarily use Latin pluralisation for a Tibetan word is kind of silly. It is a sign of illiteracy, but I guess that's to be expected from a community that seems to have sprung from 4chan.