Hearing your tulpa

Subconscious is the word what all the new age hippies use. Psychologists say unconscious to basically mean the same thing. Basically. We could cite Wikipedia because Wikipedia is always right and all that jazz.

>The subconscious is commonly encountered as a replacement for the unconscious mind, which in Freud's opinion has a will and purpose of its own that cannot be known to the conscious mind (hence the reason why it is called the "unconscious") and is a repository for socially unacceptable ideas, wishes or desires, traumatic memories, and painful emotions put out of mind by the mechanism of psychological repression.

>The idea of the subconscious as a powerful or potent agency has allowed the term to become prominent in the New Age and self-help literature, in which investigating or controlling its supposed knowledge or power is seen as advantageous. In the New Age community, techniques such as autosuggestion and affirmations are believed to harness the power of the subconscious to influence a person's life and real-world outcomes, even curing sickness. Skeptical Inquirer magazine criticized the lack of falsifiability and testability of these claims. Physicist Ali Alousi, for instance, criticized it as unmeasurable and questioned the likelihood that thoughts can affect anything outside the head. In addition, critics have asserted that the evidence provided is usually anecdotal and that, because of the self-selecting nature of the positive reports, as well as the subjective nature of any results, these reports are susceptible to confirmation bias and selection bias.

>Laypersons commonly assume that the subconscious is a psychoanalytic term; it isn't. Sigmund Freud explicitly argues:

"If someone talks of subconsciousness, I cannot tell whether he means the term topographically – to indicate something lying in the mind beneath consciousness – or qualitatively – to indicate another consciousness, a subterranean one, as it were. He is probably not clear about any of it. The only trustworthy antithesis is between conscious and unconscious."

Charles Rycroft explains that the subconscious is a term "never used in psychoanalytic writings". Peter Gay says that the use of the term subconscious where unconscious is meant is "a common and telling mistake"; indeed, "when [the term] is employed to say something 'Freudian', it is proof that the writer has not read his Freud".

>Freud's own terms for mentation taking place outside conscious awareness were das Unbewusste (rendered by his translators as "the Unconscious") and das Vorbewusste ("the Preconscious"); informal use of the term subconscious in this context thus creates confusion, as it fails to make clear which (if either) is meant. The distinction is of significance because in Freud's formulation the Unconscious is "dynamically" unconscious, the Preconscious merely "descriptively" so: the contents of the Unconscious require special investigative techniques for their exploration, whereas something in the Preconscious is unrepressed and can be recalled to consciousness by the simple direction of attention. The erroneous, pseudo-Freudan use of subconscious and "subconsciousness" has its precise equivalent in German, where the words inappropriately employed are das Unterbewusste and das Unterbewusstsein.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

• 3 weeks later...

I support all that chupi is saying here.

After 3/4 of a year of this stagnant position of not being able to hear my tulpa unless I'm concentrating on her, I've PERSONALLY concluded that my issue is with the limitations of my brain itself. I've never run multiple personalities or streams of thought at once in this mind. So, I have finally come to the conclusion that I must "build" thought-space for her.

I hypothesize that most people do this automatically through the narration phase, but for some of us, it is apparently much more difficult.

This may sound negative to many here, but I can't argue with the results I've seen after just a few weeks with this new focus.

I've taken the approach that I need to gradually reorder how my thoughts work towards the goal of allowing her to constantly uphold a steady thought process, meaning I have to develop a sort of "mind chatter" for her.

I've approached this with the method of simply trying to divert my conscious attention to her for a short time, allowing her to vocally think about whatever she likes for a few moments whenever I do this, with all of my attention on her. As soon as I feel comfortable and completely attentive to her, I immediately try to switch back to whatever I was focusing on before. The goal is to do this often, and switch back and forth more and more rapidly over time, until I eventually have a sort of fluent two-track mind.

At first, even directing my attention to her once every 2 and a half minutes seemed incredibly jarring. It would defocus me so much having to constantly readjust like that. But very soon, my goal of once every 2.5 minutes came much easier, and the gap grows ever smaller. I'm trying to do this as much as possible, every day, no matter what I'm doing.

So in short, my response to only being able to hear my tulpa when I'm aware of her? I MUST BE AWARE OF HER AT ALL TIMES. PERIOD.

Haters may perhaps hate, but Zeph adores it and it's actually working. Can't argue with that.

Oh, and I'd guess if you don't much respect for the idea of the subconscious, that you prolly don't pay much attention to... well, attention. The incredibly complex tasks your body analyzes and processes on the fly without any conscious attention on your part is clear evidence of the simple concept we're calling the subconscious. As chupi says, it's just referring to anything beneath your conscious attention. When you're lost in thought while driving, it's your subconscious that's driving the vehicle, obeying all the laws of the road. Hell, when you're merely WALKING, it's your subconscious that monitors exactly how much to move each particular muscle to respond dynamically to your terrain. You can teach it to do pretty much anything on its own, it just takes conditioning.

I'm always shocked when on a flippin TULPA FORUM people respond to the idea of the subconscious as foreign theoretical weird-science. I mean, it's pretty damn clear your brain does a TON of things without your attention. Like, all the time. EH, TO EACH HIS OWN~

2. Lack of parallel processing. Your tulpa stops "running" shortly after you stop paying her any attention. Either your own thoughts drown out hers, or her thoughts are still "yours" enough that they cease when you ignore her for a while. On her end, thinking her own thoughts becomes harder and she sort of spaces out or falls asleep.

If this is the case, Asgardian's wall/bubble idea could work. In some way symbolically build a wall or bubble around her thoughts to separate them from yours. Voice or thoughts that one of you intends to share will still get through. But your thoughts will no longer interfere with hers as much, hers will be less visible to you, and the two of you become more distinct and separate.

Whoa. How come ive never heard of this?! This could be extremely helpful in the beginning.

I'm always shocked when on a flippin TULPA FORUM people respond to the idea of the subconscious as foreign theoretical weird-science. I mean, it's pretty damn clear your brain does a TON of things without your attention. Like, all the time. EH, TO EACH HIS OWN~

Suitable Reaction Image.

fourfiction, the idiot.

• 6 months later...

Thank you for clicking that ^ anyway.

Just some thoughts that have come through my mind but.

1 - To hear your tulpa do you have to focus on it?

2 - Does your tulpa randomly talk to you (for example, walking down the street and you hear it talk to you)

Day - 54 - 1 month

Stage - Impostion, independent

Name - Rainbow Dash

Visualise ✔ Touch ✔

Hear (vocal) ✔ Hear ✔

Impostion Independent

Possesion ✔ Switching - ✔

Wanna see something cool?

http://rainbowdashtulpa.tumblr.com/

1. When they're first becoming vocal, yes. Later when they're more established and "just there", no.

2. When more established, they do. Earlier on they require your attention and only speak (at least in a way you can hear) when you're thinking of them.

Also, I would suggest giving your threads more descriptive titles. You want people to have some idea what they'll get when they click into your thread.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

1 - So far, when I'm talking to him or trying to hold a conversation, yes. Like Chupi said though, it's getting easier the more he develops and the more we get used to one another.

2 - Bud talks randomly all the time. Now it might sound like I'm contradicting myself from your first question, but I'm really not trying to. When I talk to Bud, I need to focus on hearing him. When I'm not paying attention and it's he who is trying to talk to me, I hear him out of no where at times.

1 - Right now I usually need to focus on Thunderfall in order for him to do pretty much anything except watch what I'm doing. Even if he goes off on his own I need to focus on the idea that he's up to something. But it's slowly becoming natural to pick up what he's saying.

2 - For the most part Thunder only speaks when spoken too at the moment. Again, I think this is perfectly normal, but I believe he can at least randomly grab my attention on rare occasions.

Thunderfall (goes by Thunder)

Male human

Melody

Female lamia