"View New Posts" buggy

Apparently, the "view new posts" option only shows new threads and not all new posts. That, or it only works half the time, the other times returning an error which says it found no new posts (even though there are). What's up with that?

it's showing threads with new posts - not new threads entirely

as for the later part of your post (saying no new posts) i'm inclined to believe you've already visited that page of the thread and it marked the posts as 'read' even if you haven't read them

Yukari (vocal), Arisa (vocal)

Don't look down.

I've noticed this, too. Only works half the time. I just don't use it.

I've also noticed another bug on the forum, which is the subforum icons on the board index not updating properly when you just hit the back button after finishing reading a thread. You have to click on the subforum of the thread, and then click your way to the board index thereafter, before the subforum icons will stop showing as "unread." You can't just use the back button in your browser. No, refreshing doesn't help.

I've also noticed another bug on the forum, which is the subforum icons on the board index not updating properly when you just hit the back button after finishing reading a thread. You have to click on the subforum of the thread, and then click your way to the board index thereafter, before the subforum icons will stop showing as \"unread.\" You can't just use the back button in your browser. No, refreshing doesn't help.

I've noticed this as well, actually (I don't use View New Posts, though, so I can't comment on that).

I'm writing it off as invisionfree being shitty software :lol:

Seriously though, I'll look into it.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

I've also noticed another bug on the forum, which is the subforum icons on the board index not updating properly when you just hit the back button after finishing reading a thread. You have to click on the subforum of the thread, and then click your way to the board index thereafter, before the subforum icons will stop showing as \"unread.\" You can't just use the back button in your browser. No, refreshing doesn't help.

I've noticed this as well, actually (I don't use View New Posts, though, so I can't comment on that).

I'm writing it off as invisionfree being shitty software :lol:

Seriously though, I'll look into it.

Why are you not hosting this locally on your server and using some better software?

Guests/Anonymous users can't even see "View New Posts". You should try SMF(Simple Machines), it's open source/free.

If hosting locally isn't an option, they better allow you to have a database backup, otherwise you'll be dependent on them.

Why are you not hosting this locally on your server and using some better software?

Guests/Anonymous users can't even see \"View New Posts\". You should try SMF(Simple Machines), it's open source/free.

If hosting locally isn't an option, they better allow you to have a database backup, otherwise you'll be dependent on them.

I'm not hosting locally because my server can't afford it. Heck, it doesn't even have PHP/MySQL, nor do I intend to add it.

I went with IF because they're reputable/reliable (in regards to server usage, etc) and allows free DNS handling (so I can have forum.tulpa.info). I could get a copy of the database if I wanted to convert/move to somewhere else in the future, though the community is small enough right now that using invisionfree isn't much of an issue for that. I'd probably upgrade to some sort of paid/dedicated host for a forum if the site got big enough to require one.

Spoiler

I'm now having an issue where I'll go into a subforum that had posts I've yet to see (as indicated by the lit up 'ipb' thing), but no topics will have a lit up envelope. This happens even if I haven't seen posts within some of those topics, but the kicker is that it doesn't mess up all of the time.

I'm now having an issue where I'll go into a subforum that had posts I've yet to see (as indicated by the lit up 'ipb' thing)' date=' but no topics will have a lit up envelope. This happens even if I haven't seen posts within some of those topics, but the kicker is that it doesn't mess up all of the time.[/quote']I think you're having the same problem that I described.

I think you're having the same problem that I described.

Nope. I had the problem you described earlier, but this one has effectively replaced it. Which sucks, because as opposed to just having to re-navigate to boards, I've now got to look through many individual topics to make sure I've not already read through them. It's far more annoying.

Topics that are new should have a little blue box next to them (ignoring the "ipb" box on the main board).

What I've been doing, is if I see a board with unread posts (ipb is lit up), I go in there, read the topics with little blue boxes next to them, then afterwards click the "ipb" box to "unlight" it.

Or, do you mean that you're not even seeing the little blue box next to new topics?

Spoiler