Manipulation of perception of time.

Amadeus

"It must have a 'natural' cause."                           let these two asses

                                                                                         }be set to grind corn!

"It must have a 'supernatural' cause."       

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

It is very possible to alter your perception of time to an extent, willingly or not. My first mushroom trip I took 5g dried P. Cubensis, which is considered a very heavy dose (I didn't know at the time). At some point in the trip I began to go into a thought loop of the word "ice" for some reason or another, and started to panic. You should know panic and thought loops don't mix well and only served to totally blow my perception of time out the window of reality. I sat in the same position for what I thought was literally 2 days with the only thought in my head being the word "ice". I was able to essentially block out any external stimuli as a result, and thought I was going to be stuck like that forever. In reality, those 2 days were actually about 30-40 minutes according to everyone who was sober at the time.

Although somewhat unrelated, it's personal proof that it's entirely possible to have an extremely altered sense of time. Now, causing something this extreme by sheer willpower sounds almost entirely implausible, but I think it could be achieved by an average person on a shorter scale (1 minute feeling like 20 or so). How you'd actually induce it yourself would change from person to person I'd assume, so it'd be hard to find a reliable method.

It's definitely an interesting concept, and I'll be sure to test it and record any results when my tulpa is finished.

You perceive time differently in dreams in particular, where something that felt like hours could've happened in like 30 minutes real time

Also, just wanted to point out that this is a very common misconception. You enter REM multiple times per monophasic sleep cycle, but not all of REM is spent in a dream. In reality you actually have about 3-4 5 minute dreams per REM cycle, totaling around 15 dreams. However, your brain tends to only remember the dreams from your first or last REM cycle, and only 2 or 3 dreams per REM cycle. Because of this, your brain fills in the gaps between the dreams you remember via FMS, which severely alters your perception of time for the dream(s) after the fact. This is why it's common to forget the bulk of your dream after getting up.

Interesting as that is, I'm overtly skeptical toward just about everything. I rely on empirical evidence. I'm not into sigils or spirits, or the typical occult phenomena.

I can believe in tulpa theory because it's something tangible, something I've been doing that has results, and particularly, because I have reason to believe it works. There is no scientific reason to believe that there's a way of literally bending time with your mind.

Here's my idea of the concept.

- There is absolute time. It doesn't change. There's a clock on your cell phone and it's probably right. At any rate it calculates seconds, minutes, hours, etc. normally.

- Then there is perceived time. You can (theoretically) adjust how you perceive time, making your view of the world slow down. You won't physically move any faster. You'll only be able to think at a faster speed, therefore perceiving the rest of the world as much slower.

We don't get much in life. But we do have this.

*indicates signature* It doesn't fucking matter how one classifies things unless your goal is to simply speculate about them, which in itself precludes a meaningful use of skepticism. There are ways to experiment beyond the realms of average experience, and in most cases the only convincing evidence is evidence that happens to you, intentionally or no. The approach to such things is meaningless unless useful, but that can only be empirically determined for oneself.

Tl,dr; Want a tulpa that fucks with time? Try and make one.

No comment on your time theory

                                                                                         }be set to grind corn!

Also, just wanted to point out that this is a very common misconception. You enter REM multiple times per monophasic sleep cycle, but not all of REM is spent in a dream. In reality you actually have about 3-4 5 minute dreams per REM cycle, totaling around 15 dreams. However, your brain tends to only remember the dreams from your first or last REM cycle, and only 2 or 3 dreams per REM cycle. Because of this, your brain fills in the gaps between the dreams you remember via FMS, which severely alters your perception of time for the dream(s) after the fact. This is why it's common to forget the bulk of your dream after getting up.

I had a dream last night that lasted several "days" and I only slept for 8 hours :\

We agree on empirical research. Good. As long as we can be civil about it. If I offended, it wasn't my intention.

Not at all. However many people don't differentiate between science, logic, and empiricism, which can only lead to difficulty if they want to get anywhere with this sort of thing, call it mystical or psychological. There's a time and place for reason, but it isn't WHILE you work, but after. However you want to classify it, you can't imagine it's *just* part of your mind, and since you're coming from a more skeptical mindset it seems reasonable that it may take more time forcing to get results, since from the psychological side you're convincing yourself something exists. There is one advantage to the scientific approach however, in that dogmatism is quite evidently counterproductive to the search for truth, just look at the particle/wave dispute in physics.

"In this book it is spoken of the Sephiroth and the Paths; of Spirits and Conjurations; of Gods, Spheres, Planes, and many other things which may or may not exist. It is immaterial whether these exist or not. By doing certain things certain results will follow; students are most earnestly warned against attributing objective reality or philosophic validity to any of them.

There is little danger that any student, however idle or stupid, will fail to get some result; but there is great danger that he will be led astray, obsessed and overwhelmed by his results, even though it be by those which it is necessary that he should attain. Too often, moreover, he mistaketh the first resting-place for the goal, and taketh off his armour as if he were a victor ere the fight is well begun.

It is desirable that the student should never attach to any result the importance which it at first seems to possess."

                                                                                         }be set to grind corn!

It's just how I prefer to classify my approach. I have a friend who is going through with research on the sigil you linked me to, and if he sees results, awesome. My method is different. That's all.

I'd love to discuss the natures of our differing beliefs, but let's do it in private. I'd rather not derail this thread.