Have you told your parents?

Guest Anonymous

Did you tell your parents about your tulpa?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Did you tell your parents about your tulpa?

• No and I'm not planning to do it.
    • No but I'm planning to do it.
    • Yes. (Please report their reaction)

Guest Anonymous

I love you so much.

Completely platonically, of course...

You're welcome.

I'm always willing to install a little paranoia inside peoples head.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect my mother would be fascinated by the concept (being a doctor of anthropology and having an interest in eastern religion/spirituality). I like to think we know each other well enough for her to know that I'm not crazy by this point, though I'd imagine she'd have some misgivings about it.

My father, on the other hand, would likely be incredibly confused. He might go for it eventually, though, especially if my mother got involved and helped explain it to him.

[align=center]We've hit the edge of understanding, and we're stepping off with nothing but a pen and paper.

[i'm Comet. Somehow I've turned out to be the more talkative one, though I promise to make just as little sense as he does.][/align]

I told my mother that im creating one and she went mad on me, saying im pushing myself to mental illness, i say these in reply, "dont be silly", "if i do go mental, then it was inevitable anyway" and my personal favourite, "atleast im doing it at my free will", i have suggested it to a few friends and what i realise is that people really are fucking wayy to close-minded, and unable to comprehend the possibilities, without goin straight to mental illness, i do not attempt to tell any1 just to save all the naysaying, but if some1 was to ask, i would not deny, seriously though, if this is a mental illness (i do not think so) then it is a fuckin sweet mental illness, as for telling my father, he would just look, listen, and laugh, not in a laugh at me kind of way, just a quick grunt of the idea and then look at me with the feel of or quite possibly say "and your telling me this why?" so i dont even bother wasting his mental time telling him.

Tulpa - Yukai Shi (Yuka) しゆかい (ゆか)

Form - Shapeshifter

Working on viualization and vocalization

I told my mother that im creating one and she went mad on me, saying im pushing myself to mental illness, i say these in reply, "dont be silly", "if i do go mental, then it was inevitable anyway" and my personal favourite, "atleast im doing it at my free will", i have suggested it to a few friends and what i realise is that people really are fucking wayy to close-minded, and unable to comprehend the possibilities, without goin straight to mental illness, i do not attempt to tell any1 just to save all the naysaying, but if some1 was to ask, i would not deny, seriously though, if this is a mental illness (i do not think so) then it is a fuckin sweet mental illness, as for telling my father, he would just look, listen, and laugh, not in a laugh at me kind of way, just a quick grunt of the idea and then look at me with the feel of or quite possibly say "and your telling me this why?" so i dont even bother wasting his mental time telling him.

I told maybe a few friends. Three I think. Two of the three are open minded about that. The other just keeps yelling. "It's just an imaginary friend!"

"

I haven't told my parents simply because I don't live with them any more. We aren't even in the same state. But I told my girlfriend. We live together and she's very understanding and interested in my tulpa and the entire process.

• 5 years later...

Since Greenie asked how he would proceed to tell his parents about his tulpa, and we all agree to either not do it or approach the subject  in a very cautious matter, how many of you told your parents or plan on telling them?

I told my mom. She is accepting despite not quite understanding the concept in its details, but that's okay, because as long as she's cool with it I'm cool. She seems to think of Static as if she is my conscience or something.

That's guts. Anyway, my vote may skew results since both my parents are already deceased, i can't technically tell them, i wouldn't have anyway since i was estranged from my mother the last ten years of her life.

Given they were both alive I still wouldn't tell them because my relationship with them was strained anyway.

Given i had a good relationship with two live parents I still wouldn't tell them because i find it to be very personal.

Even if I was personally very open with my parents, and had a good relationship, and they were alive, and I was forced to tell them, i'd just say they were my muses or something.

This is the consensus of my system.

Nope.  I've told a few friends about my tulpas before, more specifically several internet friends and my best "real world" friend.  And I was pretty sure ahead of time that they'd be cool with it because we already all have some other interests and characteristics in common that would be considered strange by the "stereotypical normal person".

But as for my mother (my father passed away when I was a kid, so she's my only parent).  Well,  it could go in one of two ways...

1.  She'd see it as some kind of mental illness,  or better yet something anti-biblical,  and would try to force me to see a therapist about it and get medicated, etc.  Probably also adding insult to injury with that whole spiel of "I support you no matter what" despite clearly not approving.

2.  She'd be TOO okay with it.  To the point that she'd think it's perfectly fine to bring it up in public,  or to chat with her friends about it over wine and cheese.  Making it even worse, she'd have no understanding of what it actually is,  and so would be spreading misinformation and making the whole ordeal even more awkward.  It wouldn't be long before everyone in town "knew" that I supposedly still had my childhood imaginary friend, or am talking to ghosts, or am intentionally giving myself schizophrenia so I could use it as a meditation exercise, or something equally silly and inaccurate.

So yeah... neither possible outcome would be particularly desirable.  Therefore I'm staying quiet.

YOUR MOM: "Ooooh Sandra, listen, my son has a little head friend, isn't that adorable?"

SANDRA: "Isn't he a little old to be playing with imaginary friends? Oh hay, my twice divorced neice with those hellian kids just got out of rehab again we should set them up on a little date."

*cackles heard for miles*