Common things when it comes to boards

Irish

It was Dreamviews indeed. I find it much easier to manage the responses in threads on DV than here. I can only go to my previous posts and hope that there is a response. They don't even take me straight to the 1st new post either.

I'll try out that subscription thing now. If there isn't already, an autosubscribe feature wouldn't go amiss.

Let me know if that subscription system is what you were talking about, because we use the exact same software Dreamviews uses for our forums (MyBB).

There may even be an auto-subscribe setting somewhere.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

In Dreamviews, beside the usual "Log in/Register Welcome [username]" up top on the homepage, there's a control panel. (Like the little user CP we have). Clicking on that brings you to your profile and a big list that links you to the first unread post in every thread you are subscribed to.

In this site, under user CP you don't get a list. As far as I know. I have to click on my own name and then scroll down to "find all posts". There's a list of all my posts and then I have to guess which ones might have a new post in them. I can judge by the post count, but thats it.

I'm pretty sure you can upgrade to the Dv system, as the software is the same afaik.

If you manage to do that then subscribing and managing posts will be a breeze. It's not even just getting used to this sites way, tulpa.info just makes a meal out of post management.

frt

When I jump on, I just go through the 'Today's Unread Posts' link and read through/reply to the topics with new posts, then I check back in on it every now and then. However, it's going to be difficult with the volume of new topics and posts coming in.

Orange juice helps with concentration headaches.

Plus it doesn't just show you threads you have posted in, and which have gotten replies.

On dreamviews you get a list of threads you posted in and have new replies. Nothing else. It streamlines the process of posting in a thread, then coming back later and seeing which threads have new replies in them that you want to read, instead of having to look down through a list of all threads and not knowing if you have a reply or not.

frt

I've actually went and asked on the support boards how I would go about doing this, as I've seen it done on vbulletin (dreamview's board uses vbulletin) and Simple Machine.

The most I can do right now, is to be able to list topics started by you (not topics you replied in). I know it should be possible to get a listing, because if you look at the little post icons next to the topics, if the post has a red dot on it, it means you replied in that topic before -- there should be a way of listing only the posts with the red dots, and with new replies.

Spoiler

I'm used to a thread subscription system in which posting in a thread automatically puts it on an unread replies list when it's updated. Simple Machine Forums has some great features. Anything even resembling that system would be great.

Orange juice helps with concentration headaches.

I'm used to a thread subscription system in which posting in a thread automatically puts it on an unread replies list when it's updated. Simple Machine Forums has some great features. Anything even resembling that system would be great.

Yeah, that's the system I'm thinking of. It could be done if I can find a way to filter "New Posts" by "Topics I replied in"

Spoiler