Music Shadowing

NuAeon

I looked at some of the other threads and didn't quite see anything like this--if there is, I heavily apologize.

Anyways, I discovered something kind of interesting while I forcing.

I was listening to music and I began wondering what her musical tastes would be. I somewhat drifted out and went to my wonderland to find her and actually figure it out. This was fairly early in her development so she could barely speak as is, but she conveyed to me (through a series of confused and perplexed gestures) that she hadn't even the slightest idea what I was getting at. So I fashioned a pair of ear buds for her and handed them over. Upon putting them in, I drifted out even farther and began "Shadowing" the music through my headphones into her headphones.

The core idea here, was to try and not only give her an idea of what she liked to listen to, but to also try and mirror my emotions and sensations within her that I got from the music (in the beginning, as time passed I wanted her to develop her own sensations, and for the most part she did, although our tastes are somewhat similar - I suppose I should be thankful for that) I tried to change the wonderland even, to an extent anyway. I would use a myriad of colors and lights in the sky like the Aurora Borealis to try and translate what I felt. She gradually understood and began making her own colors and expressions--in fact, this method worked really well with helping her develop a bit of emotional sentience, helping her learn facial reactions and whatnot.

Anyways, I was just kind of curious if anyone's done anything similar or had a better variant of it. It's fun, and you can do whenever you're listening to music. It's really nice to form expression; try it if you and them are bored one day.

Persephone's core design is fairly ornate and complex (Her dress was a nightmare to visualize when I first started) but I was fairly easily able to [edit] in a pair of headphones for her. Should be for most.

Persephone

Form--Human female (victorian era)

Imposing

It's always striking to me whenever I see people being so entwined with music. I wouldn't do this, but it sounds interesting. Keep it up!

I've done a fair bit with IRL music in the wonderland.

One is basically what you're doing, sharing my music with my tulpae. I usually do it by just making the music present in the wonderland or simply assume they can hear it since I can and I'm there, but sometimes I would give them headphones.

Another trick I've experimented with a little is using music as a way to get deeper into the wonderland. Basically just focus solely on the music and let it draw you into the wonderland. An added twist is to force headphones in the wonderland and put them on after a bit. A couple minutes later, use your *imaginary* hands to take off the real life headphones. (The trick here is to be deep enough already that you can do something like this and just let your mind assume it to be real, without consciously filtering it as fake.) You're now listening to music that's really there, coming from a source that's only in the wonderland. Having a strong stimulus like this that's congruent with the wonderland but not with real life should draw your focus more to the wonderland, and away from real life.

Another thing that's less my doing and more theirs: Sometimes I'll sing along in my head to music I'm listening to. Lately, occasionally when I do it I hear another mindvoice harmonizing with mine.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Oh wow that sounds interesting as all hell. I've never thought about taking it in that direction before.

I've imagined if my wonderland should have a sort of background music at all--that idea pretty much answers that question and takes it even farther.

I will certainly have to try that myself.

Persephone

Imposing

I don't have persistent background music in my wonderland. Imagined music doesn't work for me most of the time. Besides I would think a wonderland theme/background track would get annoying after a bit.

I just use whatever I happen to be listening to at the moment, which is usually Japanese pop

(which has another upside -- if I need to distract the language part of my brain from doing monkey-mind thought wandering, I can follow the lyrics, and it doesn't generate much in the way of unworded thoughts since I only know a relatively few Japanese words)

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

I see what you're saying.

Persistent background music would get pretty bad, I suppose it would be a very on and off phenomenon if anything. I try to use whatever at the moment too; when it comes to focus control using foreign music is a pretty damn good idea though, will have to try that also.

I've noticed that post metal and depressive black metal have all provided really solid sessions. Persephone seems to prefer it too.

It was this depressive/post black metal song that actually inspired her name--needless to say, it's her favorite. If anyone wants some solid stuff of that genre, check out these guys, they're phenomenal.

Persephone

Imposing

Guest Anonymous

Lone Star by Jim Gunthre on a Wonderland Adventure. Mmm... that's some gooood forcin'

Music definitely has an impact on mental activity, and I've found it helps me with forcing sessions and mindstuff.

For example, I'm regularly meditating to Tool for at least 15 minutes each morning. Tool's musical style and use of complex rhythms paired with Maynard's vocals can really set a mood for drifting into meditation of self-reflection or whatever you'd call it.

Classical music is also good. A very clear experience I had early on in forcing was probably a hypnagogic dream; I laid down with a CD of classical music playing in the background and listened to the music while envisioning my wonderland, and soon I was clearly wandering around in my wonderland doing stuff with my tulpa Zoey, and the entire time the classical music could be heard. At one point Zoey played piano along with the music, at another point we had a giant snowball fight in time with "In the Halls of the Mountain King." It was a very vivid dream, and I'd say it was semi-lucid.

Another time Zoey and I had a jam session in the wonderland where we played guitar along with Deftones' White Pony album.

Generally I prefer listening to instrumentals if I'm gonna listen to anything in a serious forcing session. Otherwise the vocals will cut into my trains of thought, and I'm afraid the vocals would also drown out any talking from Zoey. Otherwise I listen to whitenoise, rain, or Feude's tulpatone.

Classic Music is really solid--Instrumental music is indeed probably the best; I'd say that progressive/instrumental metal like Animals As Leaders is near God-level listening. I could definitely see Tool providing some interesting forcing sessions as well.

I've found that "Space" metal/rock is the highest tier of forcing music, just above post-rock.

Dat sentimental melancholy. Of course that's just our opinion.

Persephone

Imposing

The only music I can force to is Tool's alternate live version of Pushit and Deftones' This Place Is Death.

I was actually thinking about something like this. does anyone's tulpa have different musical tastes than their host? Is that even possible? I would think so, but I'd enjoy some input.

Host: Derm

Tulpa: {Drais} (In progress)

My Tumblr