Chatbox Moderation

Temp

But you can't possibly pull that shit as if it's the reason his being kicked was justified, either.

I can and I just did.

So now mods are in control of what faces are being used?

No, we're in control of spam.

I agree that if he were to continue using it in excess, even in "excusable" circumstances, it would have been fine to kick him (but at least fucking warn him first). But him using the face once in a response like that is absolutely no reason to kick him.

It is if we think it's an indication that he intends to keep spamming it. We don't always have to be reactionary. Sometimes we decide to be proactive in our actions.

Think about it; he could have just been laughing about the stupid spam he just posted, and say "No, I'm not going to do it again xD".

That's a possibility.

Yes, a possibility. An unlikely one, but still a possibility.

Frankly, I don't believe that was the case. I think he very well may have been doing it to spam more, but it is not a moderator's place to assume, and kick people based on what they might be thinking. It's their job to kick when someone actually does something worth kicking them over.

Well, I'm sorry we disagree, but you can certainly moderate that way in any channels you yourself moderate.

Astral project on my face, brother!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. I haven't been on irc for a few weeks, but judging from this thread, things haven't changed. They are (or should I say were, when I visited there) power-tripping so much. I can only imagine what kind of hurt feelings police they act like now.

I think the only thing to warrant a kick should be intentional spamming. And no, all caps for a few lines is not spamming. Talking with only a few words per line is not spamming. Things like one letter per line or repeating the same thing for more than a few times is spamming.

It's amazing to me that anyone ever wonders why so many people hate the mods around here.

It always seems to be "I am a moderator. I know what is best. I can do what I want, and I can kick what I want. I will defend other moderators simply because they are moderators. I will not actually look at evidence, and examine things with objectivity, but rather pass judgment based on who I'm arguing with, or who is involved."

Of course you would say that you can do whatever the fuck you want, and think it's fine to kick people because of assumptions or prejudice.

You might think you're always in the right because you've been assigned a moderator position, and therefore anything you do is justified, but lots of you are obviously losing sight of why you're a moderator in the first place.

You're a moderator FOR the community.

Not so that you can pass judgment however you feel, and get off on account of your superiority complex.

The point is Boogaloo didn't hurt a fucking fly by making that face again. If he started doing it a lot, people would be getting annoyed, and that would absolutely justify a kick.

Saying you have the right to be as proactive as you want is asinine. We have proactive defense against terrorism for a completely legitimate reason. So people don't die. But to assume, and pass unfair judgment on someone when the worst possible thing at stake is that a couple of people would have been annoyed for 2 seconds is just retarded.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

People seem to be missing out the fact that as soon as Yt removed the ban (it was after 5 minutes), he joined and started again. So the ban was reapplied at that point.

Oh, and he joined #tulpa_ot a while later and started spamming it a lot more than he did in #tulpa.info.

So he clearly had no intention of stopping.

At the end there, when i asked "WHY NOT" that was an accidental caps (i was speaking in 3 different chatrooms at the time, accidentally had caps on from another chatroom when i switched back). So i won't complain about that specific part. But the whole thing shouldn't have even been brought up after the single line of caps, because the rules don't state anything that says i can't use caps. At the time the rules said that i couldn't use "styled lettering" excessively, (if you were to assume that "styled lettering" included caps), but one line isn't excessive.

Rasznir added caps to rules after what happened yesterday, but at the time it didn't say. Even if it did say, again, it wasn't excessive so it didn't warrant a kick.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O6_dPOWuIKjLin0rg3nm1sdNAGTV-tuD7udzcOZKHWc/edit

Also, "Wobbuffet" mentions he got kicked before for caps at the end, so apparently i'm not the only one

Yeah at the end there i personally interpreted it as saying "No, i won't do it again" not "No, i will start doing it again", so i think the second kick was a little premature, but he was spamming at the beginning so i'll let it slide.

--And here's Slushie, displaying his arrogant, superior attitude.

But you can't possibly pull that shit as if it's the reason his being kicked was justified, either.

I can and I just did.

#tulpa.info mods, everyone. Also don't forget the best way to handle critique, "if you think you can do better, do it!".

Funny you brought up terrorism, Kiahdaj. Only a matter of time before anyone's a suspect of that and could be put to jail without a chance to explain themselves. And on #tulpa.info, it's already happening, hot damn. Luckily that one doesn't destroy lives, but the idea behind it is the same. And if you think you have the ~~right~~ to do that, there's something really, really wrong with your head. And you should give up your banhammer ASAP, before you make an even bigger mess.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

#tulpa.info mods, everyone. Also don't forget the best way to handle critique, "if you think you can do better, do it!".

Funny you brought up terrorism, Kiahdaj. Only a matter of time before anyone's a suspect of that and could be put to jail without a chance to explain themselves. And on #tulpa.info, it's already happening, hot damn. Luckily that one doesn't destroy lives, but the idea behind it is the same. And if you think you have the ~~right~~ to do that, there's something really, really wrong with your head. And you should give up your banhammer ASAP, before you make an even bigger mess.

You all should know that IRC mods think they're fucking Jesus. It's an unavoidable fact. Stop the hugbox, and you'll bent faster than you can say Battletoads.

#tulpa.info mods, everyone.

Could you elaborate what the problem is, Sands? I gave a reason someone was kicked. Kiadhaj said I couldn't use that reason. I said that I could.

Am I just always wrong because I'm a mod, in your eyes? If someone tells me that a justification is wrong, am I supposed to agree with them automatically? If I started doing that, would you stop comparing someone being kicked from an IRC channel to someone being jailed as a terror suspect?

Astral project on my face, brother!

I like penis. ===>I said that I could.<===

Am I just always wrong because I'm a mod, in your eyes? If someone tells me that a justification is wrong, am I supposed to agree with them automatically? If I started doing that, would you stop comparing someone being kicked from an IRC channel to someone being jailed as a terror suspect? Why yes, I am.

You can't use that reason because it isn't a valid one, man.

I meant to edit this into my other post but I was too slow and other posts have appeared below it.

I didn't address what happened with Temp and the caps. After the first line of caps, I asked him to go easy on the caps and Yt asked him not to use all caps. At that point, he asked why not in all caps again. The warning that, at least, I gave was meant to be a friendly reminder not to go nuts with caps. When he said "WHY NOT" in caps, it might have been an accident but I don't think it was unreasonable at the time to assume that he did it on purpose (given that the question was actually about caps itself).

Assuming it was an accident, at the end of the day it was just a kick - I say 'just', but it's not like we're trying to throw around unjustified kicks (read above) - it wasn't a mute as was the case in the past, nor a ban. The easiest way for Temp to have avoided the massive conversation that took place afterwards in #tulpa.mods would be to join and immediately explain that it was an accident if it was. There obviously isn't much in the way of reversal that can be done with a kick, but there isn't really anything to reverse with a kick.

There was indeed an issue with the rules, and I resolved that by amending them to be more clear about capitalization being included in "other styled text". I'm not sure why that issue caused an hour long argument about the lack of clarity, because it was a mistake which was fixed (it's hardly a huge mistake, and please nobody try to tell me that we shouldn't make mistakes, because everyone makes mistakes sometimes). I wrote that particular part of the rules so I'll take the blame for the lack of clarity in it.