Chatbox Moderation

Temp

"I like penis" is constructive critique on what planet?

Why isn't this thread locked then?

...also what is a "redundant reason"?

Did you really ask what a redundant reason is?

You kicked someone for putting an emoticon!

I mean, come on.

Because penis giggle giggle

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see some valid complaints here. A kick SHOULD NOT be the first notice a user gets when they do something bad.

See?

This is all I want.

All I want.

For the mods to actually look at the evidence, and make a decision on their own, and not just defend the mods because they're mods. You're not fucking perfect.

All I want is for the mods to be able to sit down with some of the members like us, and have a discussion about the way things are, and the way things should be done without pulling rank on us, as if you, and your moral views are somehow better than our's.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Except that .mods isn't a good place to talk about this kind of thing, because the mods will always side with other mods and say they were right, no matter what. Nothing ever gets done there, either. It's pretty rare for a mere member to be understood and not stoned to death by mods. Or even worse, banned from the channel. Why are ponies getting banned from the only supposed channel meant for talking to and about mods when they do exactly that?

Except something did come of the discussion. As I said, the rules were amended to be more clear in future.

And here another dude made a mistake and got warned for it. You're above your own rules here now, huh? Mistakes mean kicks, I hope you kicked yourself for that, it's only fair. Normal members aren't allowed to be made mistakes, mods must be above that. Not a surprise.

Kicks are meant to warn users, not to punish. I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make here. Would you rather we kicked ourselves and rejoined if we made a mistake? It seems a bit silly as it doesn't accomplish anything whatsoever. In fact, it's much better to have a discussion about it in #tulpa.mods as things actually happen (if a moderation mistake gets made, we actually end up discussing ways to improve in the future, as was the case here where the rules were amended for clarity of course).

Except something did come of the discussion. As I said, the rules were amended to be more clear in future.

This time. I'm talking about the channel's entire history.

Kicks are meant to warn users, not to punish. I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make here. Would you rather we kicked ourselves and rejoined if we made a mistake? It seems a bit silly as it doesn't accomplish anything whatsoever.

So you're saying that it's a silly thing that accomplishes nothing? I agree. You kick someone, they join back. Why is the kick needed? Why don't you tell them to stop like Chupi just fucking said you would have to and skip the kick entirely. If the problem continues, then ban. The kick is a stupid and unneeded step that everyone can overcome. However, because it's in you rules and you didn't allow someone to make a mistake, you as a mod are also not allowed to make a mistake. So go ahead and kick you for that mistake, just like another person was for theirs. Just as useless and silly, but same rules apply to everyone.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

I see some valid complaints here. A kick SHOULD NOT be the first notice a user gets when they do something bad. Users should be warned verbally (like "please don't type in all caps, it's like SHOUTING"). If they ignore the warning and continue to do it, or mock the mod, they they might get warned again or kicked. A couple more kicks in a reasonable time period and they get temp-banned for a few hours or so. When banned, a user should be informed by PM (shows up in a tab at the top of the chat box if you use the one built into this site) how long they're banned for, and can further complain about it in #tulpa.mods.

A kick isn't the end of the world. It's like a slap on the wrist. Like "dead serious here, cut it out". You just rejoin the channel and go about your business.

Warnings will have your name in them so they should stand out. Most IRC clients display the whole message or your name in it in red to show this. If the channel is particularly busy, they may also be in bold. If many people are being warned, names won't be included in the message, but it will most likely be colored or bolded to make it stand out.

I never got said PM saying how long i was banned from dot info, but its not like i give a fuck. Maybe you should start actually training mods. Also, I wonder who is the new mod supervisor since Tesseract, someone who never wanted to be a mod. left forever.

I meant to edit this into my other post but I was too slow and other posts have appeared below it.

I didn't address what happened with Temp and the caps. After the first line of caps, I asked him to go easy on the caps and Yt asked him not to use all caps. At that point, he asked why not in all caps again. The warning that, at least, I gave was meant to be a friendly reminder not to go nuts with caps. When he said "WHY NOT" in caps, it might have been an accident but I don't think it was unreasonable at the time to assume that he did it on purpose (given that the question was actually about caps itself).

Assuming it was an accident, at the end of the day it was just a kick - I say 'just', but it's not like we're trying to throw around unjustified kicks (read above) - it wasn't a mute as was the case in the past, nor a ban. The easiest way for Temp to have avoided the massive conversation that took place afterwards in #tulpa.mods would be to join and immediately explain that it was an accident if it was. There obviously isn't much in the way of reversal that can be done with a kick, but there isn't really anything to reverse with a kick.

There was indeed an issue with the rules, and I resolved that by amending them to be more clear about capitalization being included in "other styled text". I'm not sure why that issue caused an hour long argument about the lack of clarity, because it was a mistake which was fixed (it's hardly a huge mistake, and please nobody try to tell me that we shouldn't make mistakes, because everyone makes mistakes sometimes). I wrote that particular part of the rules so I'll take the blame for the lack of clarity in it.

Nevertheless, the kick was still not justified because my usage of caps wasn't excessive. I broke no rules. (An apology would be nice)

This isn't so much about this one specific case, it's more about (most of) the mods in general. Most of them just abuse their power way too much. I was lucky enough to receive a verbal warning on this specific case, as for the rest i received no verbal warnings for breaking non existent rules.

Y'all Admins gotta start cracking down on these mods. Start training them and punishing them when they abuse their power.