Chatbox Moderation

Temp

What's the problem with caps anyway?

Some people claim it makes them feel uncomfortable, because it seems like they're being yelled at.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MegaBusta

What's the problem with caps anyway?

It can get a little obnoxious to read at times, but that's it really.

Some people claim it makes them feel uncomfortable, because it seems like they're being yelled at.

It can get a little obnoxious to read at times, but that's it really.

Those seem like really weak reasons to ban it.

It's not even banned. It's banned if used EXCESSIVELY. which is the whole problem with my specific case since it was one line.

Why is the kick needed? Why don't you tell them to stop like Chupi just fucking said you would have to and skip the kick entirely. If the problem continues, then ban. The kick is a stupid and unneeded step that everyone can overcome.

This use of kicks is pretty common on IRC. It's a more emphatic warning. Normal "cut that out yo" warnings are easily ignored. A kick forcibly grabs the user's attention as it requires an action on their part if they want to continue chatting. It's also kinda like a shot over the bow -- it doesn't do anything, but it alerts them that you're about to do something rather more unpleasant to them.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

I get kicked for using ONE LINE in caps

You had one line of caps. And then you were told that you couldn't do that.

To which you replied in all caps.

A kick is nothing. It's a love tap. Remember when you used to get muted for being off topic? A kick takes two seconds to fix. That's why I used to apply joke kicks liberally in #tulpa.

People complain about joke kicks? Maybe those few who do actually mind should say something to me in person.

I have been a lenient, fun loving mod in the past. Do you think that needs to change? Very well.*

*Offer only available in .info and OT. Void in #tulpa and #redditulpas. Exceptions apply, results may vary. Consult your doctor if kicks produce an erection lasting longer than four hours.

You had one line of caps. And then you were told that you couldn't do that.

But I CAN do that, there is no rule against that. Jesus Christ, how many times do i have to repeat myself?

A kick is nothing. It's a love tap. Remember when you used to get muted for being off topic? A kick takes two seconds to fix. That's why I used to apply joke kicks liberally in #tulpa.

-.-

I have been a lenient, fun loving mod in the past. Do you think that needs to change? Very well.

Attitude.

This use of kicks is pretty common on IRC. It's a more emphatic warning. Normal "cut that out yo" warnings are easily ignored. A kick forcibly grabs the user's attention as it requires an action on their part if they want to continue chatting. It's also kinda like a shot over the bow -- it doesn't do anything, but it alerts them that you're about to do something rather more unpleasant to them.

When you're in the middle of a conversation and you get randomly get kicked it's fucking annoying. There's no harm in at least TRYING to verbally warn someone. No need to jump straight to kicking -.-.

But I CAN do that, there is no rule against that. Jesus Christ, how many times do i have to repeat myself?

When you're in the middle of a conversation and you get randomly get kicked it's fucking annoying. There's no harm in at least TRYING to verbally warn someone. No need to jump straight to kicking -.-.

[2013-05-09 18:09:22] READ ALL THE GUIDES YOU CAN POSSIBLY GET ON YOUR HANDS ON@!#!#!@#!

[2013-05-09 18:09:29] Temp: whoa, easy on the caps there

[2013-05-09 18:09:37] nothing wrong with caps comeon.

[2013-05-09 18:09:49] Temp, Please do not use caps like that.

[2013-05-09 18:09:54] WHY NOT

[2013-05-09 18:10:07] =-= Temp was booted from #tulpa.info by YoursTruly (Please obey moderator instructions)

From the rules: "Using coloured, bold, capitalized, or otherwise-styled text is allowed when it is done for emphasis or to make a point. However, it should not be used excessively as it stands out and generally causes disruption in the chat. Using coloured text for your tulpa's speech will be allowed on a per-case basis (for example if two of your tulpae have the exact same name)."

Looks like excessive to me.

But I don't care about that first instance, I care you keep insisting that it's fine.

You were warned. By two separate mods. Don't try to tell me you weren't warned.

As far as the attitude goes, I saw that it would be taken too seriously, so I added the last bit. Before you posted.

Maybe you should have explained to him how and why it's against the rules to post in caps before kicking him?

A slap on the wrist doesn't do anything if the person doesn't think he has done anything wrong.

Please communicate with each other.

or otherwise-styled text is allowed when it is done for emphasis or to make a point.

>is allowed when it is done for emphasis or to make a point.

>done for emphasis or to make a point

>emphasis

Wasn't that exactly what he was doing there in that log of yours? I look at it and that's what I see. No excessive use, one line, the other was a mistake. Which he got kicked for in the middle of a conversation, which is annoying and he didn't even do anything against your rules. Even if it had mentioned caps locking back then, his first line was for emphasis, the second an accident. You mods are honestly still protecting your own asses when it's obvious you're not doing the right thing here and even the admin had to step in here and say you're not doing what you're supposed to? Hell, nothing stopped them from answering to his fucking question there. He asked a question, even if it was in all caps. Kicking doesn't tell him why it's wrong, even if he did it on purpose.

Also trust me, a person much rather has a verbal warning than a kick and will comply much more willingly if they understand why you're doing something. A kick is not a good warning, it only teaches people not to listen to your words because they know that means they're safe and a kick means they've gone too far. How's that normal? They won't listen to you and you're forced to use, well, force. Don't exactly sound like good mods to me if they have to use force to get people understand something is wrong. This is kinda like giving a man a fish and teaching them to fish. Kick them and they stop doing that one thing, perhaps not knowing why and then later on probably forgetting it when they haven't gotten punished in a while and repeating it. Tell them the reason and talk with them about it and they will know exactly what they did wrong and why it's not allowed there and they'll remember it. Probably will teach the same rule to others if they're doing it with the reasons behind them and most likely taking it with them to other communities now that they understand it's annoying or bad. You'd do a great thing to everyone by just talking. It's IRC, you're already doing nothing but talking, stop abusing your powers just because it gives you a boner.

Also Moose, many people have told you your kicking is stupid. You just brush it off, so don't come whining to us how we should come telling it to you in person. Because we have. You don't change and you think you're still right to do it, just like, oh, all the other mods here. Always thinking they're doing the right thing and if someone complains, doing nothing to change and still claiming you're right. A mod's position isn't to annoy people and make it harder for them to hold a conversation when someone keeps getting kicked over and over again.

This is going too far. Mods can do whatever they want and there's no danger for them to be stripped of their powers and position. No matter what anyone says, a mod just says they did the right thing, won't apologize or see how wrong they were to do an action. People understand mistakes, yes. You can easily say it was a mistake to do that and you understand that. But nope, too much power has gone to that head and now you're a perfect human being capable of no wrong and everyone should kiss your ass or get out.

You already got rid of one mod for abusing their powers, Chupi. These guys are doing the same and have been for a really, really long time. You could say they're even being worse than that other guy. People have complained, they have never changed. How can you think they are being good mods worthy of their position? They're not. Start giving the boot to show them it's not okay, get others to replace them who will do a much better job until they get obnoxious and power hungry again. If they don't listen to complaints, they'll get the boot too. A mod should try to keep their position by doing a good job, not just get it automatically because they have been made mods. These guys haven't done a good job and they know they can keep doing whatever they want with no repercussions as no one's fucking doing anything. You were made an admin for this reason, Chupi. So we actually have an admin who fucking does something when there's a problem when the other one isn't able to. How about you start taking action with this one fucking huge problem we've had for a long time and no one's ever done a thing to fix it. There would be plenty of people willing to help you with that, if you think it's too much for you right now. And for the love of everything, if you need and take help, don't turn to the circlejerk of mods. They're the problem, they can't help you with decisions that would be harmful to themselves. Just take a look at this mess we're in, they refuse to say they're wrong and always back each other up. How could they help with what you have to do?

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)