Half-asleep dreams interfering with forcing?

I'm super new to tulpas in general (creating my first one!) and so I apologize in advance if this is a common question (although based on what I've seen it doesn't seem to be).

Anyways, I often don't get as much sleep as I should. This leads to an odd situation where I'm fine most of the time, but during periods of inactivity I become extremely tired and have a lot of difficulty staying awake. One thing in particular that I've noticed is that I'll have these weird half-dream things where I'm not really asleep, but my thoughts become extremely dream-like (i.e. they're surreal and I have trouble remembering them afterwords).

Unfortunately, this seems to happen sometimes when I'm trying to force. The first time I took it as a positive sign (I ended up imagining my tulpa doing a weird card trick that I don't fully remember) but most of the time it's just seemingly random and unrelated to anything.

I feel like if my tulpa was farther along we might be able somehow make use of these, but as it stands they just seems to get in the way. So my question is this: have any of you had any kind of a similar experience and if so how did you dealt with it? Even if you haven't, do you have any advice?

It sounds like you're just experiencing hypnagogia. Its the state your body enters before you sleep which would include hearing vivid noises and hard time remembering what you heard.

Best advice I can give is to drink some caffeine maybe or take a nap before you force.

Or as Lacquer said use it to your advantage.

This is quite common and normal. Kind of like lucid daydreaming or something, at least that's how I felt. It can really help you get a full forcing experience if you learn to maintain it better

Name-Yuki

Sex-Female

Form1-Arctic wolf, big blue eyes

Form2-Long white hair, blue eyes, pale skin, white wolf ears/tail, light blue jacket

Personality-Compassionate, calm, sarcastic, playful, protective, introverted

Stage-Sentient, vocal, working on possession

When you get to that lethargic state, if you're not accustomed to retaining awareness it in, you'll find yourself dozing off, and then suddenly coming back to see the back of your eyelids again. It does get frustrating, especially when I used to do 1,000+ counts of breaths in meditation and went in all sorts of distractions at the end of it, but like others have stated, use that ability to get what you want with forcing.

If you're reaching a state when you're going into dream-like qualities, that's a good sign.

When you get to that lethargic state, if you're not accustomed to retaining awareness it in, you'll find yourself dozing off, and then suddenly coming back to see the back of your eyelids again. It does get frustrating, especially when I used to do 1,000+ counts of breaths in meditation and went in all sorts of distractions at the end of it, but like others have stated, use that ability to get what you want with forcing.

Is there any kind of method to staying aware for this, or is it just a "keep doing it and eventually it'll work" type of thing?

My opinion? If you keep falling asleep, during forcing, it sounds like you need to change your forcing schedule or get more sleep.

However, I've found listening to brainwave entrainment (aka Fede's tones) helpful for staying alert.

To be honest, listening to anything else that's slightly annoying will likely keep you awake too. Active music (i.e. not something quiet and soothing) can also be good for keeping you from falling asleep -- think the kind of music you might put on to keep you alert if you need to drive a long way.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Is there any kind of method to staying aware for this, or is it just a "keep doing it and eventually it'll work" type of thing?

There are methods of doing that, but I personally can't give you the perfect or suitable method. There isn't a one-size-fits-all method, because everyone's mind has a different degree of accepting new changes to their current belief systems and schemata of life. The generic response is that you'll have to filter out through the methods and experiment with them.

My opinion? If you keep falling asleep, during forcing, it sounds like you need to change your forcing schedule or get more sleep.

However, I've found listening to brainwave entrainment (aka Fede's tones) helpful for staying alert.

The thing I found with brainwaves and things related to binaural beats is that if the person can actually enjoy the tune or is able to see themselves visualizing themselves doing well with the music on, it definitely is a suitable option for them, however (this leads to the response for Chupi below)...

To be honest, listening to anything else that's slightly annoying will likely keep you awake too. Active music (i.e. not something quiet and soothing) can also be good for keeping you from falling asleep -- think the kind of music you might put on to keep you alert if you need to drive a long way.

Having background music that's instrumental and soothing, or just lowered-down white noise (literally white noise similar to the T.V.), can help a person stay awake, however, I think it's more of being aware rather than trying to stay awake. Not to put you out or anything like that, I just wanted to tell you that people who usually listen to music to try and keep awake during a long drive, or even opening the window to listen to the breeze and the scattering noises of the wind are not as efficient as they seem.

They might give the person the proper jolt they need for maybe 10-15 minutes, maybe longer if the music doesn't have a generic monotone beat to it, but after a while, when the ears get adjusted to it, they're back to square one.

-----

So this brings me back to responding to OP again. If you're having half-asleep dreams that are vivid and intense, it could be several factors. Like previous posters have stated, you probably need to catch up on sleep, and most likely, you're experiencing REM rebound, so that's why you have these surreal, realistic, and intense dreams. I have it a lot during naps at times (since my sleeping can be sporadic at times), but I haven't focused on recalling them as I used to a few months ago.

But even when you do catch up on sleep and do the forcing session with a clear and alert state of being, you have to realize, especially if you do closed-eye meditation/tulpaforcing, you are bound to get into the lethargic state and beyond the more you do the session. And if you want some concepts on how you can magnify that and still maintain awareness, try this out (only takes like 5-10 minutes to do) (just an example):

1. Sit, don't lie down (assuming that's how you tulpaforce) on a comfortable chair/bed/etc. (but chair or something other than a bed is preferred)

2. Point your finger at the center of your forehead, and shift your eyes to focusing on that center. Let them strain a bit and you put the same finger you used to point to your forehead down, and keep your eyes up looking at the "center" of your forehead for maybe 1-2 minutes. (You don't have to do it hard, just enough to where you can know that when you do center your eyes back again, your eyelids will want to close naturally).

3. Imagine anything that you feel that can make you feel happy, content, and relaxed, anything. Embrace its image, embrace the sensations you feel, and practice acknowledging how you're feeling. Just count down, and use a small number set like 5 to 0 or 7 to 0, and just tell yourself mid-way counting that you'll feel more relaxed but also aware of what's going on. Then when you reach 0, tell yourself that at zero, you'll be able to sustain awareness as you drift into a half-asleep state of being.

4. Record what happened, keeping a log of you experiences (if you haven't started already) helps so much in being able to emulate those sensations again naturally, and that's when things get faster for you. When you feel confident on how things occur (but you don't focus on expecting them to happen), try doing this simple relaxation before you tulpaforce.

----

It's as simple as that, and if you combine visual-imagery sensations when you reach zero, examples such as:

- Imagining yourself getting a tan at the beach, feeling perfectly fine and embracing the sun's warmth

- Easing yourself into a warm pool and feeling more relaxed

...or anything comforting for you, you'll find it gets easier to sustain your awareness and being able to force a bit better. It's going to be awkward and a little difficult keeping awareness, but it just takes a bit of practice (I know that gets thrown around so much, but it's true), but the end result is worth it.

Of course, I don't expect this to work for anyone, because again, it's a matter of who really wants to accomplish and do well in their tulpa-related endeavors, but whenever I would read scripts to relax, deepen the relaxed state, and then my script of a tulpa-related task, when I speak out the words (whether doing it open-eyed or paraphrasing it in my mindvoice) I'm perfectly aware of what's going on with my body. I'm perfectly aware that my body is relaxing, and then when I'm done with the session, I often close my eyes and the worrying is completely devoid from my mind.