Flexionsensor

Being a Tulpa

They have effectively one pseudo-parent,

Both mine have stated that they're perfectly happy with me as their caretaker. (Neither considers me their parent.)

they have little to no childhoods

I consider the time they spent from pre-vocal to fluent to be their childhoods. Pix is of the opinion "Who needs a childhood?" and Cody considers the time before I noticed him to be his childhood, which wasn't particularly pleasant. Besides, technically speaking tulpae are always "growing" and "maturing," so they can have a sort of childhood being raised by their host.

they cannot touch people unless they are possessing their host

This one's a bit tricky, as lack of a physical, independent body is the tulpa's main/most noticeable downside. Pix's desire to interact with the physical world was satiated with simple possession (all she really wanted was to play video games, though she often jokes that if she did have an independent body she'd go on a rampage around the world), however Cordy's wants are a bit more complex and impossible; he specifically wants to do things with me. Not just through possession (which would be doing things instead of me) or imposition (which is just watching me do things and maybe acting them out), but actually doing things along side me and having it make a difference. However, both have said that they would only accept a physical body IF they could keep the rest of their tulpa-ness. Becoming human, with all the problems that come with (sickness, aging, responsibility), is strictly out of the question.

they similarly cannot speak to anyone but their host unless they are possessing

While this varies from tulpa to tulpa, mine are quite comfortable as they've decided that other people don't matter to them. Why worry about someone whom you can never interact with and who will never know you exist or have any impact on you? To be honest I think they've decided that they prefer being alone, anyway.

and they will likely be kept a secret!

See previous. As far as they're concerned, whether or not I tell is my decision, though I'm not sure how happy they'd be having some stranger try to talk to them. Cordy's shy and Pix tends to look down on everyone.

"tulpae won't be jealous of you for being born regularly because you can't really long for something you've never had."

It's more of a case of "There's no point longing for something that's impossible," which isn't quite true (see Cordy's want) but they're pretty good at making due with what they have. Cordy's been acting out various things I do (such as "helping" carry things around) and says he'll be happy once he's touch imposed so at least he can interact with me, as that's really all he cares about.

Does no one else feel guilty that their tulpa(s) may never be able to experience all the joys in life that come with being able to live as most others do?

The thing is, the host is quite literally the center of the tulpa's world, and mine (as previously mentioned) have decided that our group is all that matters to them. It's not really an issue that they can't have a human life since they don't want one. I'd imagine many other tulpae feel the same.

Hmm... maybe someone could correct me because I'm not 100% sure - tulpa can sense everything with my own senses like taste, smell, touch... (in real time) when I do whatever I do, right (and I'm not talking about possession)? Or at least she can feel emotions while I'm doing something and when I'm feeling them, or just get them from my memory? If that's true, then she surely somehow can feel joy or something like that etc.?

Whatever you give your emotion to becomes your reality. Everything is possible!

You guys pretty much solved this already no problem, I agree with all of you here. I also think that there's something to be said for "not knowing what you're missing." A tulpa is 'born' into your mind already not having a body, etc. etc. all the 'shortcomings' you mentioned. While it may be exposed to our reality in some way, I sincerely doubt that it would feel trapped in its own existence any more than we do in our human existence. Of course the degree of this varies according to the individual--plus it may be affected by how much the host wishes the tulpa would have a physical body, which may cause some strain on both the tulpa and the host--but I think most of us humans, at least, though we may have times where we feel trapped in and hateful of this physical existence, we eventually pass through this mood and onto other things, since we don't know what it would be like to exist in any other way. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it Flex.

I'm Alanna, Domnopalus' host. Dom always speaks in brackets []

Tulpa: Domnopalus ||

Form (I am the artist) || WL: Bald cypress swamp. || Progress Report

Guest mule
and mine (as previously mentioned) have decided that our group is all that matters to them. It's not really an issue that they can't have a human life since they don't want one. I'd imagine many other tulpae feel the same.
That isn't true for every tulpa though, is it? There are of course those who feel differently about the matter, no point in pretending otherwise. So while it isn't really a problem for you and many others, it has provento be a slightly troublesome issue for me at least.

yeah, 16-Volte feels the same way about all of this. He loves being a tulpa and kinda despises the physical world. He can do whatever he wants to and his perfectly fine with that. To be completely honest, being a tulpa would actually be really nice.

Call me Gabi. Tulpamancer since February 16th, 2013. reddeadrebel on the IRC.

Call me 16-Volte. I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride!

Message me on tumblr!

They have effectively one pseudo-parent

Mostly true, but it depends if one makes multiple tulpas, and how one sees their relationship with them. My second and third tulpas, Evan and Anera effectively have two parents.

Besides, there are plenty of real-life children who grow up with one parent. It sucks, but most of them do turn out okay.

they have little to no childhoods (typically)

What is childhood but a state of innocence regarding the ridiculous problems adults make each other deal with? In this sense, apart from possession and switching, a tulpa has endless childhood, should they desire it.

Childhood also serves as a time of mental development and learning. A tulpa has less need for this since they're already in a fully developed brain, and they can make use of your knowledge and experience.

They only really lack childhood in that they (usually) don't go through a stage of being short, cute and bratty as required physiological growth occurs.

they cannot touch people unless they are possessing their host, they similarly cannot speak to anyone but their host unless they are possessing

Sense sharing and looking at memories can help some. There's also mental simulations of people -- the people you meet in your dreams seem fairly real, no? There's also a tradeoff: you don't have as perfect realism, but you gain godlike powers to create, change and destroy anything in the world you live in. I would make that tradeoff at least some of the time, and I hope my tulpas will feel the same way after we get possession and switching working properly.

they will likely be kept a secret!

I guess it depends on your friends. I told a few last night. None thought I was crazy, even for wanting to make imposition work. One reported having something similar in the past.

Still, most people here don't tell others. Some tulpas are disappointed at this but most come to accept it. Some I've talked to see it as sort of cool, like a secret mission.

Imagine, then, with all of these factors, imagine being "born" a tulpa. How freaky would that have been?

I think it depends on the host. Given a good host, I think I'd be pretty happy as a tulpa.

Now, in the original little guides section, it said something like "tulpae won't be jealous of you for being born regularly because you can't really long for something you've never had."

NOT.

TRUE.

It stands to logic that a tulpa should be more or less jealous/sorrowful about their practically nonexistent nature, right?

I don't agree with the "because" part of that paraphrase from the old guide. They obviously do know what it's like since they can see your memories. Nearly all tulpas who have tried switching (which wasn't even thought about when that guide was written) are fine going back to the wonderland, though many do want to spend some time in the body.

The point stands though: nearly all tulpas here are generally okay with being tulpas.

So why have I not really ever read about such a situation?

I have. There have been a couple drama-filled instances where a tulpa does feel a need to be physical. The vast majority don't though.

I take issue with "practically nonexistent". It sounds basically like tying your identity to your body, defining who you are by it. But is that what you really are? I would argue no -- I see a division between mind and body even though each relies on the other. I would say the body is a physical thing whereas the mind is a subset of the information stored in the brain. It's this information that I identify as me: my consciousness, my memories, my personality and the collection of experiences that define how I act and feel.

To arrive at this, I asked myself exactly what, if taken away from me and replaced with something different, would truly make me no longer feel like I'm me. I plan on writing something about this in greater detail on my blog soonish, but short version: I think if we could move the memories, experiences and so forth (the software) to different body and brain (hardware), the feeling of being me would move with the software.

So, I see my consciousness and associated information as really what I am. My brain processes and stores this information but is not the information itself. And my body is something I can control to interact with physical objects -- something I am so used to controlling that it's second nature and I feel present in it.

TL;DR: Cogito ergo sum. I am the thinking bit of me because if all else were removed I would still think, and therefore exist.

To apply this to tulpae: Like me, tulpae is thinking consciousnesses. Also like me they run on a brain that controls a body. The difference is that they are not the ones controlling it, and often aren't receiving information from its senses. Since we all reside in this body, I consider my tulpae and myself as about equal owners of it. So I would say that they exist as much as I do, even though I haven't yet learned to fully pass off control to them.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

I consider my memories the thing that makes me. Also genetics, because genetics affect my brain and therefor affect me.

Signature

I was referring to their nature to outside observation. IE, a stranger walks by, and passes through your tulpa's invisi-form. He doesn't see, nor know them.

"DUDE! That's wrong! You don't do that! That's like giving a kid a knife and telling him that it's a neck massager!"

Shameless self promotion!