Misinterpretation of “assuming sentience from start” philosophy.

cruse

Seeing most of the stuff you posted here, I'd say you deserve your own thread.

No really, you gotta post that in a guide or something.

Chloe - That cheerful girl with ponytail.

Aigis - The male cyborg that looks like raiden in MGR.

Vixen - Half dragon female who looks like Mary in DMC3 when in human form.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NotAnon, if you don't I will make a thread of just quotes from you.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

Seeing most of the stuff you posted here, I'd say you deserve your own thread.

No really, you gotta post that in a guide or something.

The reply was mostly directed at you and was meant to clarify how the " sentience from the start" assumption should be used.

I've been thinking of writing a guide, but I can see it taking me a rather long while to write, time I hardly have right now. As I've said before, I only replied because your situation worried me and I thought I had a possible solution to your problem.

I can stop posting in the thread if you wish, but I do have to reply to other people's questions. If the forum mods do think the thread warrants a split, I suppose they could split it off, but the original reply was to you.

Keep the history intact; no need to homogenize anything. You-/we'll figure something out as for what direction to take your idea. Give it a minute.

I've got the feeling that NotAnon's idea about passive observation is a bit like learning to ride a bike or drive a stick. In the beginning it will seem hard and frustration will come, but once you figure it out, you'll think, "Well, Hell. This is much easier than I thought. Simple even!"

Assuming sentience from the start is not only just about believing and having faith that your tulpa(e) will be able to process intelligence and subjective nature, it's about seeing yourself a completely different perspective before you took part in tulpaforcing. Because this is all within our mind, the responsibilities we have in managing ourself, disciplining ourselves just so we can have our tulpa become part of our perception of reality becomes a burden. The precedent to the assuming of sentience from the start is knowing that every action you take, every moment you decide to delay or move forward, every emotion you embrace, it's all your doing. Going through waves of being discouraged and finding a modicum of inspiration and motivation to keep moving forward to getting what we want, a fully-sentient, vocal, and defined tulpa that can also deviate and progressively improve themselves as well.

The presumption of sentience from the start isn't all there is to it, it's just a mindset. I think people start worrying that having such blind faith would be counterproductive. It's about setting a foundation, and having it ingrained into your mind means you're committed into pulling this through. The same mindset does not mean you have to follow it to absolute law and if we slack off for any moment, that we're suddenly half-assing this all, it definitely shouldn't be that way. We know the process takes time, and it's not just a matter of acknowledging your tulpa, you have to acknowledge other things about yourself and the reality you're in. Taking the time to be honest with your feelings, knowing your weaknesses, knowing your insecurities, basically just knowing as much about your own existence as possible, and having that mindset of presuming sentience from the start is to be something that gently pushes you to the right direction when you're in a relapse or in a pitfall. Knowing that when you go through this process of tulpaforcing and other activities, that your tulpa will be able to grow with you as well. I know that such high expectations for your tulpa is also a reflection on how committed you are into doing this, which is why I stated in another thread that you shouldn't let your expectations go over your level of commitment.

It's about balancing between being too idealistic (i.e. Thinking you can impose a tulpa within the first day) and being practical (knowing it might take a few days for some signs of whispering from your tulpa, and a few weeks where they can make a sentence on their own, and the few more weeks where they can do a decent job with processing and saying things before we can even conceptualize the train of though). And I also feel that people are afraid of making Mary Sue or Gary Sue kinds of tulpa (Mary Sue and Gary Sue is basically placing implausible traits to a character where it dilutes their uniqueness). I feel that this presumption of sentience from the start makes them fearful that they're aiming for a tulpa that's perfect, absolute, and as rigid as a centurion tank when it comes to their own morality and way of life. But initially, we do tend to have that thought encroach our minds because it's natural to see the concept of tulpa as creating someone that can reach their hand out to us before we end up in shit. The mindset itself shouldn't discourage being half-hearted in your attempts, because most likely, the reasons for people doing that occasionally is simply because they just want to take their time.

Subconsciously, the potential that comes with tulpa is hard to fathom all at once, and to have an engaging mindset as much as you can is definitely hard, because you have to somehow incorporate all of these expectations and intentions into your actual life. This is why people become discouraged, they don't take the time to make a game plan, and the plan itself doesn't have to be perfect. This is why writing/typing/drawing things down is so helpful, and I feel that people see people's progress reports as some lame reality show database, when it fact it's almost necessary to keep that person in check, even if they don't think they're making significant process. All of those moments you have with your tulpa, no matter how small you think they are to you, is definitely something significant to them. We see tulpa as genuine and sentient beings that have stronger ties to our Id (at least at the start), and we can see slips of our tulpa portraying child-like demeanor of being naive at times and expressing desires we probably lost sight of because we're all still finding ways to manage walking on the line between fantasy and reality. I've noticed that most new tulpa are sexual in some way from the start (indirectly or directly; they find ways to sublimate those desires in my personal opinion).

The misinterpretation is really just people worrying way too much on what was trying to be broadcast and making worst case scenarios from those misinterpretations. No one is perfect, we're always evolving (mentally and emotionally of course, not in the biological sense), and making strides to progressively improve yourself and also being able to modify bad habits and such is all started from the foundation with the "Assumption of Sentience from the start." It's about foreseeing good, but not only just that, being able to find ways to resolve or handle the struggles and tests we have to endure in life. And to be aware of this, combined with doing our best with being thoughtful of our tulpa, and thoughtful of ourselves, we have to set a core somewhere. I don't feel the mindset is meant to be defined, it's just there to be a supplement and subjective.

People should be free to interpret it anyway they like, I don't feel there's a "wrong" or "incorrect" way of seeing it. There isn't a "Supposed to" trend that has to be followed like a rulebook. Having preconceptions to how people "accurately" understand the mindset of sentience from the start is sort of pointless. Yes, there are people that might take things too far and not even relate to the foundation in the first place, but if they just keep making attempts to eventually get the point, that's when they make their own meaning. The principle behind presuming sentience from the start is more than just a set of words, it's about the life and feelings we put behind that mindset that makes it important and has a strong emotional attachment towards our psyche. Analyzing and criticizing "how wrong" or "how right" people are following the mindset of presuming sentience from the start is trying to interpret WORDS instead of experiences, memories, emotions, and so much more that is behind them.

We need safety nets, stable sources of assurance that we can do anything when we put our minds to it, literally. We're putting our minds into tulpaforcing, having expectations of success, managing our own lives, and just aiming for happy, practical, and progressively improving and evolving lives. We don't need to focus on the words, focus on how you react with building your own principle, your own foundation. If people can see things like this (and I'm sure there are other good ways to have good principles), we will at last have the peace that we need: being aware of sets of schema/schemata we've created that covers how to handle and resolve to the major mental blocks that comes to our minds every once in a while (and it can always be modified if it's beneficial). When we made an attempt to have a system set up like that, especially with the help of our tulpa, that's when we can move on to greater things.

That's just part of my principle behind the assumption of sentience from the start. You take a huge leap of faith, and then gradually find yourself improving by using retrospect and hindsight to build upon the foundations you created. Our tulpa can be a conduit in reminding us of the potential that we want to be, and much more, but it involves us having the faith in the first place, even if we're not able to match towards that expectation at the moment (but we will get there, and we'll realize it's a never-ending finish line). I know I made a statement of not having your expectations exceed your level of commitment, but it's also having those expectations in our minds in dormancy (just letting them grow slowly but surely until you're ready to go back to it)

I can stop posting in the thread if you wish, but I do have to reply to other people's questions. If the forum mods do think the thread warrants a split, I suppose they could split it off, but the original reply was to you.

Oh yeah, I just realized that. And yes, it did help me a lot, thanks.

Chloe - That cheerful girl with ponytail.

Aigis - The male cyborg that looks like raiden in MGR.

Vixen - Half dragon female who looks like Mary in DMC3 when in human form.

Words

A good friend of mine once told me that typing in caps, and writing large paragraphs acts like a filter to separate the 'dedicated from the dross.'

I think your ideas are spectacular. They just need to be organized a little more (which is expected when you write a novella).

Overall, I hope this thread helps a lot of people realize that forcing is something that you really have to dedicate a significant aspect of your time to. It has certainly changed my perspective.

Tulpa: Sierra

Forcing since July 2012

Couguhl’s Progress Report

A good friend of mine once told me that typing in caps, and writing large paragraphs acts like a filter to separate the 'dedicated from the dross.'

I'm ashamed to say I still haven't gotten around to reading any of his posts.

I've been meaning to, but I'm just that lazy.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."