Memory deletion and modification

Bluesleeve

So, Pleeb and I were chatting over the IRC and agreed that this topic needed further inspection.

Lately, I was browsing some german sites for multiples/DID and found about a Tulpa called "Nina" who was able to modify her host's memories.

I thought of a small experiment for anyone with a fully conscious and vocal Tulpa. We are going to start out small first, and manipulate short-term memory, just to test if this is actually possible.

Memory modification:

1. Host takes a piece of paper, Thinks of a short sentence, and writes it down three times. Host may speak the sentence out aloud.

Sentence should be: Subject + Verb + Object, e.g. Tim plays football.

2. 20 minutes later, Host takes same piece of paper and writes down the same sentence three times. Host may also speak it out aloud.

4. Host folds paper and puts it aside.

5. After these steps, the Tulpa will have to wait for a suitable moment to modify the sentence. Tulpa tells Host it has modified Host's memory, but not in which way.

6. Host takes another piece of paper and writes down the sentence he remembers.

7. Host now unfolds first piece of paper and compares its sentences to the sentence of the second one. Host posts results in this thread.

Memory deletion:

1. - 4. as in memory modification

5. After these steps, the Tulpa will have to wait for a suitable moment to delete the sentence. Tulpa tells Host it has deleted Host's memory, but not what it deleted.

6. Host takes another piece of paper and writes down what he remembers. Host may also leave the paper blank if necessary.

7. Host now unfolds first piece of paper and compares its sentences to the sentence of the second one. Host posts results in this thread.

Important: The host is not allowed to associate the written down sentence with anything else. We want as few connections to other memories as possible.

Questions for Tulpa (if successful):

- Was it difficult to delete/modify the sentence resp. memory?

- What could make memory deletion more difficult/easier?

- Do you think your Host could prevent memory deletion/modification?

- How complex would a memory have to be, to be safe from deletion/modification?

Questions for Host (if successful):

- Did you feel the modification/deletion?

- Do you think you could prevent your Tulpa from deleting? If so, how?

You can always make additions to some of these points, or leave them out completely.

This will do for now. Feel free to do it several times, so the results are more reliable.

What is a Tulpa? Blog

Rainbow 'Alyx' Dash

Pronto

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTwCMX5sUQU

Just thought you would be interested in seeing this. My man Brown taps into your sub-c to modify your memories. If tulpa indeed have access to your sub-c, they should be able to do this as well without all the Jedi mind tricks he uses to open up the sub-c.

Just thought you would be interested in seeing this.

Thanks, will watch as soon as I got time.

This interests me. I'll be sure to try some stuff out and report back in.

I'd be grateful.

What is a Tulpa? Blog

Rainbow 'Alyx' Dash

Pronto

• 4 months later...

So we tried memory alternation and here are the results:

Correct sentence: John goes to a supermarket.

Recalled sentences: (which were written at random times with the last being written about 3 hours after the start)

1. James went to supermarket
  2. James went to a supermarket
  3. James went to supermarket --- here I almost wrote cinema instead
  4. Jason went to a supermarket
  5. James went to a supermarket
  6. Jakob went to a supermarket --- I was watching Inception again, so that's probably why this name came up

Whenever I recalled the name James I thought it was correct and when I recalled any other name (Jason/Jakob) I felt like it was incorrect. Same goes to "goes" vs "went". I even told her to work harder because I thought I remembered it correctly, which is also one of the reasons we had so many recalled sentences.

Another thing worth noting is that after thinking a bit about the sentence I always could get back at least to the first iteration of the changed memory.

Questions for Tulpa (if successful):

- Was it difficult to modify the sentence resp. memory?

Ariadne: "Pretty easy, he believed it was James all the time."

- What could make memory deletion/modification more difficult/easier?

Ariadne: "Special memories will be easier to recall. "Just another X" type of memory will be easy [to change]."

By "just another X" memory she means stuff like "just another boring morning" memory.

- Do you think your Host could prevent memory deletion/modification?

Ariadne: "Maybe. We could experiment with that!"

- How complex would a memory have to be, to be safe from deletion/modification?

Ariadne: "Why not find out?"

Questions for Host (if successful):

- Did you feel the modification/deletion?

Yes, but only after the first iteration it felt different.

- Do you think you could prevent your Tulpa from deleting? If so, how?

Maybe. We will try this some time in the future.

We tried again and here are the results:

Correct sentence: Dingo went to a great party last night.

Recalled sentences: (each written ~10 mins after the previous one)

1. Dash went to a great party last night. --- here I thought it could have been yesterday instead, but left it this way
  2. Dash went to a great party yesterday.
  3. Dash went to a great party last night.
  4. Dash went to a great party yesterday.

In 3/4 cases I though the correct ending was yesterday instead of last night. I realised that the name Dash was wrong, because it was based on someone I was talking with in IRC, but I couldn't remember the original one when I tried to.

EDIT: Forgot to say that during our second try (not sure during which sentences it happened though) the first thing that popped up is "Dash went to a supermarket" but I quickly realised that couldn't be the correct sentence, because we used similar one before.

This sounds scary, as in "should-be-confined-to-profesional's" scary, "hide-under-your-bed" scary, and the likes. i might try it, but for now i think that this is something that you should try only after sitting down and having a serious talk with your tulpa, and i advice for having complete backups for everything.

a nice thing to do is to create a constant reminder that spells out loud or something to you that your mind may have been altered, because this has some nasty ass potential.

i might try this, but for now i think that a warning should be added.

Ayo grill how you be?

This is freaky. Like the magic tricks where the magicians use cultural prototypes to guess what a person will think of. The words just pop up into your head even though you're trying your hardest to think of something else.

Well, I would like to include a new test if anyone is willing to try.

After your tulpa succefully change your memory or manage to delete it, ask her to make the memory return to original. If she's able to do it and you're able to remember the original sentence, this actually might help people remember anything, I mean, if your subconscious really records everything and your tulpa is able to make you remember something you forgot, you could use it in many situations.

For example:

1. Write a short sentence you came up with, nothing related to anything you already remember, just something you imagine in the spot.

2. Fold the paper and ask your tulpa to modify/delete the memory

3. Try to write the same sentence again

4. Unfold the original sentence and see if she succefully managed to modify/delete it

5. If she's able, repeat steps one and 2 with a different sentence

6. Ask for her to modify/delete the memory

7. Now ask for her to make the original memory return

8. Write the sentence again, compare to the original

9. If it's the same, congratulations, your tulpa can retrieve lost memories

10. PROFIT!

But seriously, that could go from remembering childhood memories to actually being able to record and entire book reading it once, "cheating" on tests, become one of those guys that can remember everything they ever did, and so on.

Edit: Oh, and since she can modify memories, she could also organize it and make it available, she could act like a professional organizer of everything. Ever watched "Limitless", well, your tulpa is going to be your NZT.

I'm brazilian and my english is not really good, I'll do every mistake you imagine, but I'll try to avoid them.

Tulpa: Kuruminha

Form: My avatar.

Sentience: Confirmed.

Mindvoice: Not yet.

Working on: Visualization and Mindspeaking.

a nice thing to do is to create a constant reminder that spells out loud or something to you that your mind may have been altered, because this has some nasty ass potential.

Yes. Leaving yourself a note, for instance.

However, if a memory is really well repressed, you'll be unable to process anything related to it. If you try to read something that reminds you of the repressed thing, it will effectively be gibberish on a page. Still this could serve as a reminder that something has happened and you could then ask your tulpa to undo it.

This makes me wonder (and I mentioned it in another thread on this board), what would happen if you did this with the memory of an annoying song, and then listened to it again?

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Yes. Leaving yourself a note, for instance.

However, if a memory is really well repressed, you'll be unable to process anything related to it. If you try to read something that reminds you of the repressed thing, it will effectively be gibberish on a page. Still this could serve as a reminder that something has happened and you could then ask your tulpa to undo it.

This makes me wonder (and I mentioned it in another thread on this board), what would happen if you did this with the memory of an annoying song, and then listened to it again?

No, im talking about a failsafe switch, a

human

or a tattoo that asks you questions/tells you about yourself every day.

the thing i am afraid of is that this could be effectively murder, accidentaly or on purpose, because man is shaped by his past, and if you remove your past you remove yourself. you effectively become another person, and that is not something to joke around with, everyone doing this should create a super-über failsafe switch, a tattoo, a voicemessage that is played every morning in speakers embedded in your ears, ect...

this is not a fucking game, this is serious.

Ayo grill how you be?