Dreams indistinguishable from reality

I made the mistake of looking into a mirror while lucid dreaming.

Half my face began to melt, and as I tried to run away my face would drag back to the mirror, as if it were goo.

That's why you don't do it.

Let me continue this offtopic by saying that it won't necessarily spook you.

For me, it isn't a scary experience. It's true, I can see myself deformed most of the time, but it's just... strange, that's all. I remember that once I saw myself with a head of a bird. Or with really long hair.

Besides, if you think that looking at mirrors whilst dreaming is terrifying it WILL be. That's how dreams work.

“Be what you would seem to be- or, if you'd like it put more simply- Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.”

It's unlikely to be a dream. If it were, you'd probably realise that it was after you had woken up. There's no reason to think that you were dreaming, especially since you have never had a dream seem like reality afterwards before.

Coming from someone who's done lucid dreaming for years, the best, most reliable method of a "reality check" in dreaming is the language test. The brain is physically incapable of processing written language while in a dream-state. Even reading your alarm clock is impossible: the numbers and letters will shift around even while you're trying to read them.

A lot of reality checks could give false-negatives, I.E. the behavior would be the same as they would in reality due to your habits and expectations, but the language test cannot do this as the brain is incapable of it regardless of your expectations of it.

Besides, if you think that looking at mirrors whilst dreaming is terrifying it WILL be. That's how dreams work.

It's different for everyone. When I dreamt that though, I didn't know it was a bad idea to look in mirrors at the time.