itbegins.png

Sands

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same with me, Silrain. Except I still haven't ventured into the IRC. And I doubt I will. But I actually read through guides and old posts for about two weeks before I even signed up to this place. I spent the three day waiting period composing my first few topics.

I think the three day wait is definitely a good thing. It keeps people from joining up as a joke, and gives them some time to read up on posts.

If you want to relax the three day wait, I'd suggest allowing people to post their own progress report, or post to Off Topic -- but still keep the rest of the forum off-limits.

As TulpaCouple says, an automated intro message with recommended reads would be awesome. It would give people something to get started on that they might not notice on their own.

There will always be people asking questions that have already been asked -- or at least there should be. Because it's the old computer security issue: you can make your computer completely secure, but only by making it completely unusable. The most we can do is educate new users as much as possible.

"'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.'"

Search is way up there though.

*looks up then throws laptop at wall*

I AM SO DONE.

*picks up laptop, dusts it off and apologizes to it*

No seriously, I didn't even notice that e.e; My first instinct when it comes to looking for a search button is to find a white box you type in so I didn't notice that giant freaking button >.>; Thanks for pointing it out. Seriously, I'm the queen of obliviousness.

As to others, it's cuz people are different. Your category of people's first instinct with the three-day wait is "lurk the forums". Then there's other types of people who's first instinct when they see the three-day wait is "well i can't post anything therefore the forum is useless I'mma find somewhere else to go for nao". It's kinda stupid reasoning but I can honestly say I fit more into that category than the first one. When I join a forum it's to post in it, not to lurk. I don't like lurking actually, I'm not really sure why... so when something stops me from posting in a forum, I either find somewhere else I can immediately start talking in or just leave until I can post.

I say making someone wait is okay, but I dunno, three days is too long for meeeeee e.e; -hyperactive teenager so my opinion about this is useless- Opening up parts of the forums that you can post in with the three day wait sounds like a good idea though. Free up off topic and I'll go in there and fool around for a bit while looking at the other parts of the forums before posting. Like, if that was the case I probably would've stayed on here during the three day wait rather than just leave.

Automated message is a greaaaat idea. Even if I don't read the whole darn thing (cuz, um.... actually i have no excuse for this, sorry, im a bad person ;-; ) it'd catch my attention and I'd skim through it and remember the big points. Put the search thing in there. Seriously, if they had one of those which talked about the search engine I probably wouldn't sound as noobish as I do right now.

[Forseen]

{Muse}

|Alix|

Guest Anonymous

So...thread got unsticky and i got warned (?) by swashy (lol) because of "shitposting" (while i uploaded a pic related)?

Mah boi, never change.