Q&A Moderation

waffles

What I THINK would be a good balance of strictness/friendliness, would be to have those posts deleted, and a PM sent to the person who posted.

I do agree with this approach the most. To restate what I said before:

• It saves cluttering up the board with closed threads
  • I think it gives the right balance of discouragement and friendliness
  • If they wish to re-ask a question for a valid reason, this could be done in the old thread
  • If someone wants to re-answer a question, they too could do this in the old thread

"We welcome you to the community and it's great that you're interested in creating a tulpa. However, as 'for science!' is our phrase, we need to ensure that new members are able to at least educate themselves and take the process somewhat seriously as to keep the forums as helpful and organized as possible. After reading through the Guides if you find some of your questions are still unanswered, you are more than welcome to start a thread and members will be willing to help you. Have a great day, and good luck!"

This is the best place to discuss such a message. I think the biggest problem with the above is that you never really said that they asked a duplicate question. I would rewrite it as the following:

Welcome to the community.

Your question, [question title], has been deleted because we believe that it has been asked and answered before: {[link to old question]/[link to FAQ answer]/[link to guide/s]}. In the interests of maintaining a healthy attitude to effort and discovery (as per the rule [new rule]), we would prefer that you checked whether a question has been answered before you ask it by checking the FAQ and the guides section and by searching the Q&A board. Having done this, you are more than welcome to ask a unique question or to revive an old question thread.

Have a great day and good luck!

Oh, in that PM, explain the search. Not everyone knows how forum searches work.

It might be better to put that in the "read before posting" on Q&A.

I think a good idea might be to send new members a PM containing a friendly welcome message and a collection of useful resources for them to get started with.

I agree. However, I think such a collection should be visible on the topsite, making the PM a reminder that they are available.

Additionally, they could be informed that a lot of questions they may have will already be answered, either in those guides, or by using the search function for the Q&A forum (with an explanation of how to use it).

I also agree, but I think this information should be in the "read before posting", again making the PM a reminder that it is there and should be consulted.

Perhaps move duplicate threads to Off Topic with a polite note pointing them to the previous relevant thread?

I don't really see why they should go in off-topic. They aren't actually off-topic.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see why they should go in off-topic. They aren't actually off-topic.

Kevin says:

I believe the intent was to {suggest to} put the posts somewhere that is less moderated, so that those with excess energy could answer them if so inclined. A third sub-category of "Off Topic" was a suggestion, perhaps call it "Tl;dr"?

Please consider supporting Tulpa.info.

Stuff worth reading

Oh yes, definitely customize/change/'perfect' the PM, I was just coining the thought of the balance of friendly/strict. As far as explaining the search in the Q&A, I think that's a fantastic idea, and would make the PM's much more bearable. However, maybe the PM could point the person in that direction, as you know not everyone clicks around as much as they should when getting on a forum.

We're coming up with what has the potential to be an easy solution to an irritating problem. That's pretty snazzy.

New? Need Knowledge? - List of Guides - Creative's Creation Handbook

Have you hugged your tulpa today?

I think I'm gonna post in this thread cuz the other mod thread looks like a bloodbath ;-;

Anyways, I agree with deleting repeated questions and sending a pm. The message sounds both serious and friendly while touching upon all aspects that should be touched upon. The search, uh... where is it? o^o I can't find it after the new layout... okay, jk, but seriously a good explanation of the search function would be awesome. Along with encouragement to use it. And maybe making it more obvious to see, but that may just be me ^^;

Basically, I agree with waffles. Send a friendly and helpful pm to new members with good resources and explanations of how things work, and also including it in the "Read Before Posting" for later reference by others when needed.

I realize there's next to nothing constructive here and I apologize, but the reason being for that is cuz you guys covered pretty much everything except adding the explanation of the search function, which I'd do, except I'm still not even entirely sure how to work it lol. Honestly, I'm really bad with that thing. Which is kinda sad. But I am.

[Forseen]

{Muse}

|Alix|

I believe the intent was to {suggest to} put the posts somewhere that is less moderated, so that those with excess energy could answer them if so inclined. A third sub-category of "Off Topic" was a suggestion, perhaps call it "Tl;dr"?

Perhaps, but then if you're letting people ask and answer questions, just in another place, it seems counter-intuitive to me to not just leave them in Q&A. It's not really discouraging re-asking questions (because they will still get treated like a Q&A thread more or less). And I think I said before that if people wanted to re-answer questions then they could do so in an old thread instead.

Purely on the subject of making it easier to see, would it be a good idea perhaps to change the colour of Search link to stand out against the other links?

I think it would. It's not as visible as it could be. Still, I think most people who want to find it do.

Actually, the biggest issue with the search is that typing in multiple words separated by spaces will only (as far as I know) give you results with that particular phrase rather than any combination of those words. I think some people don't realise this and therefore find no results to their query.

Purely on the subject of making it easier to see, would it be a good idea perhaps to change the colour of Search link to stand out against the other links?

Yes. Or make the white type-in box thing with the search button at the top of the screen instead or something. I honestly didn't see the button before cuz the first thing I do when looking for a search box is to, well, find the actual box. So since I didn't see a white box anywhere on top of the screen, I looked at the bottom of the page. Kinda annoying imo, but I know where the other button is now XD

Actually, the biggest issue with the search is that typing in multiple words separated by spaces will only (as far as I know) give you results with that particular phrase rather than any combination of those words. I think some people don't realise this and therefore find no results to their query.

... I didn't know that. Well, that's good information to remember.

[Forseen]

{Muse}

|Alix|

• 4 weeks later...

What I THINK would be a good balance of strictness/friendliness, would be to have those posts deleted, and a PM sent to the person who posted.

I do agree with this approach the most. To restate what I said before:

• It saves cluttering up the board with closed threads
  • I think it gives the right balance of discouragement and friendliness
  • If they wish to re-ask a question for a valid reason, this could be done in the old thread
  • If someone wants to re-answer a question, they too could do this in the old thread

I would like to suggest instead of deleting the thread, just merge the new post into the older thread that has the answers. This achieves a similar result without discouraging the poster.

Please consider supporting Tulpa.info.

I suppose you technically can merge the posts with the older thread, but this might also introduce some confusion - especially to new guys to the forum (like me). I would suggest, if you do decide to merge posts with older threads, that you also send the person who made the post a quick pm saying why (this way any possible confusion is removed).

Please assume everything I say on the subject of Tulpae as theory based off of information I have found on Tulpamany, since I do not have a Tulpa.

And why not make a post saying about it in the thread, too. Simple stuff, doesn't take much time.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)