Q&A Moderation

waffles

But you should be discouraging the poster; that's the point, isn't it?

I suggested that people whose questions have been asked before but require additional assistance in some way can post in the old thread. You might want to merge posts fitting that condition, but where that isn't the case it just seems a bit pointless. You don't really achieve anything by merging the post if not much new will be added by way of answering, while it seems to be condoning re-asking questions that have been answered which I think is what we're trying to discourage here.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the new thread got good responses already, then I guess it might have to be merged. Unless you wanna go through the old thread to see if the new answer is similar to one given before. But if the question was identical to one already previously asked then yeah, no need to merge it anywhere. Just lock or delete the thread and give the poster a link, tell them to read. New but relevant questions I could see merging with the old thread.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

• 3 weeks later...

O.k. I'll try to learn from this. Obviously I don't pass the Turing Test yet. I feel like an idiot (I'll have it roasted, thanks).

Also the new suggested way of handling previously answered questions (merge with old if it has new content/delete?) finally seems to be how the mods want to do things, so again, you're kinda going against the actually good mod choice here by saying people should be allowed to ask the same questions over and over again. Enable the people to be lazy and they will be.

That's entirely me trying to learn what works. I have such a long way to go that I'd be discouraged if it wasn't for the positive outlook. I make mistakes (derp), but I am honestly trying to improve in all good faith and with compassion.

Please consider supporting Tulpa.info.

:/ Simply ignoring their questions is sad, and again some people may want fresh answers. A question could have been originally asked long ago.. what we are aware of or come to know may have changed since then anyway. Those who want to answer can answer, I don't see why those who don't mind answering should be encouraged to ignore them anyway

My lip hurts.

Also the new suggested way of handling previously answered questions (merge with old if it has new content/delete?) finally seems to be how the mods want to do things, so again, you're kinda going against the actually good mod choice here by saying people should be allowed to ask the same questions over and over again. Enable the people to be lazy and they will be. Good tuppermancer material, that.

Since I do take time to consider things, and reconsider things, I have a few pragmatic implementation problems with just deleting the "repeat questions" threads. My perception of this is there's an assumption that mods are on 24/7 and can delete a thread with alacrity. Myself, I need to sleep (yes, really), and I have a life beyond this site : so I can't catch most threads before they have already accumulated like 9 replies. This offers possibilities as I perceive it :

1. Delete the thread - and have all the posters after the OP angry.
  2. Lock the thread and have the long-term members angry.
  3. Merge the thread and have the long-term members angry.
  4. Have a "moronic questions" thread like /r/Tulpas and have everybody angry.
  5. Do nothing. Try nothing. New members are happy to get their questions answered and everyone else isn't.

I propose trying 3 and 4 together as an experiment.

Please consider supporting Tulpa.info.

Why would 3 make anyone angry assuming the question actually brought new questions and answers?

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

#5 is best option here, we don't have to ignore them. If people want to answer they should be able to, it's not hurting anyone, and if they get no answers, then they may try to just search through and find it provided they know about searches and stuff, then.

Sometimes people see an old thread already but want current answers of the forum.

One of the bigger examples is possession. If someone asked something like "Can you have your tulpa interact with the world through your body" they'd get answers claiming wtf no, or that it's not possible. I've seen it myself, that this forum used to not really... believe? in possession. But now they'd get a totally different answer.

I'm one of those people that, with things like polls and stuff (like when I asked the ages of romantic tulpa), outdated threads from a sample of the past don't really do it for me.. I want the data from the current community I'm interacting with.

And then there are the questions where someone is just really unsure of themselves but think it might be silly to be too, and reading an old thread wouldn't do anything for reassurance. (Ex - the current thread where someone asks if it would hinder anything to give them a name or have it form on its own, etc).

My lip hurts.

5 is the worst option. Again, enable people to be lazy and they will be.

Your possession example again, is simple. Person searches, finds an old thread about a question like that (though why the fuck someone would ask that when it's the entire point of the thing is another matter) and posts their own question in that same thread after reading it and finding out they need to ask something else. People can then reply.

There's been some awful new question threads with awful answers, too. The older people who have answered the same question ten times already don't want to keep writing the same answer over and over again, so you get the newbies who have had a tupper for few days writing stuff now. And dear god does it get pretty bad at times.

It would also be very obvious what majority of the people think about something if the person wondering about shit would actually lurk for a few days and read the information given instead of going all guise can i give my tupra big butt or will she hate me forever???

There's been some awful new question threads with awful answers, too. The older people who have answered the same question ten times already don't want to keep writing the same answer over and over again, so you get the newbies who have had a tupper for few days writing stuff now. And dear god does it get pretty bad at times.

It would also be very obvious what majority of the people think about something if the person wondering about shit would actually lurk for a few days and read the information given instead of going all guise can i give my tupra big butt or will she hate me forever???

This. Right here. It's the best example of most of the new threads.

I use the search option before I do anything and I have never had to ask anyone questions. Because they really have all been answered before. Alright, I posted one thread in the days that all those posts got wiped out but it was still a NEW question and it was even resolved before the thread was lost.

If you actually take the time to figure out how to use the search function, you have a wealth of knowledge at your finger tips. Everyone bitches that it's confusing, and sometimes it can be, but if you sit and think about what you're actually looking for, you will find it.

And if the thread you find has outdated views or data, you can always do some thread necromancy on it and get new posts going in the same thread. Not only are you avoiding beating a dead horse with the same questions, but you can also see the community's evolution on the answers to said question.

Although I'm pretty much circlejerking with Sands and Ashmo,

Sands is feigning the role as the bad cop, most of us are playing good cop, but seem to forget our virtues. If Pleeb has to keep risking his finances and future to sustain this forum only to have it be the basis of indolence, incompetence, and lack of wanting to do personal research, his kind-hearted demeanor and ability to be vicarious will be in vain. This will make the forum the go-to laughing stock where hosts commit suicide or ego-cide because they don't realize a war with their tulpa is a war with themselves.

We need to mix around with utilitarian and deontological measures and continue experimenting if we truly want to fulfill the desire of this site having some scientific authority, even if it’s just from a psychological standpoint.

Everyone's trying, staff and members, but don't forget about the ulterior motive for this site. We can't please everyone, because the situation as of now (and has been for quite some time) doesn't give us the privilege.