Q&A Moderation

waffles

Guest Anonymous

Thank you Sands for bringing that tangent around - if you all wish to continue discussing stereotypes and what not, please do it in off topic.

Yori, however pointless it is now, I promised you a response and here it is. To be honest, I've had it ready for the past hour or two when I had hoped the laziness discussion would've come around. Enjoy.

-----

The only thing you can do is convince the moderators to delete the threads because you don't want people answering old questions

Moderators are users with a bit of power. Read closely: I am a user.

If there is an overwhelming response that something is wrong with the forum - in this case the repetition of questions - the moderators will look to suggestions on how to solve the issue.

Merging threads with older threads was suggested and we have been performing it. To be frank, it's too early to tell if it's successful. There is no stopping users that only post one thread (The "90%"), but users that stay for a bit longer (The "10%") seem to actually begin using the search function, or so I've observed. Whenever I merge a thread I send out a private message telling the OP I'm doing this. The majority of those messaged have responded along the lines of "Sorry; I'll try to search next time".

It's hopeful, if anything.

but there's nothing wrong with people answering the questions.

Correct. You are more than welcome to reply to merged threads.

If they want to, let them do it. This shouldn't be a focus, at all. I'm sure it's not just Dream Views where people asking old questions is a "problem." This "problem" is on any forum. There doesn't have to be a "moral route" to take on this. What is it that is so bad that happens if this is dismissed and people continue answering if they want? If people are unsuccessful in convincing everyone else to ignore them? (Nothing worthy of note.)

The problem is that it jades members. That occurs on every forum as well, heck I've experienced it. The site then gets into a cycle of new users answering questions until they wear out. This cycle provides site activity, sure, but it doesn't make the actual user base grow much.

And, this forum will never be a scientifically credible source... not that people asking older questions makes a forum unscientific anyway.

The members get things done. The modern phenomenon has finally gotten ironed into wikipedia, which is certainly a good beginning. The forum could end up being a hub or...

There could be a subforum that is scientific in itself, all about physical evidence, but to try to make it about that and charge members with messing up the forum's scientific image isn't honest.

...the following gets implemented and actual credibility might start to take root.

Theories

Research (probably empty, because people should use the sub-boards)

Research Collaboration (collaboration with other members on doing research)

Research Proposals (for people not dedicated enough to make the research themselves)

Research Logs (logs of researches that were done in the past)

Hidden Research (section that can be viewed only by few people; research talked about here would be skewed if people knew about it being done, should later be reported in logs when it is completed)

General Psychological/Scientific Discussion (for stuff that wouldn't fit elsewhere -- NOTE: This can go in off-topic, maybe?)

Coming Changes to Tulpa.info

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling Purlox only wanted that hidden research board so he can talk about something dangerously meta without people laughing at him. I don't think a person who isn't comfortable with doing their research and having others watch should be anywhere near doing that research. At least have some faith in what you're doing or you're the wrong man for the job.

Also yeah that general whatever-y is totally off-topic. Not tulpa-related. Just like lucid dreaming isn't tulpa-related unelss you can bring something tulpa into it, in which case it goes in the boards we already have about tuppers.

Watch out about fragmenting those boards too much. Unused boards don't look good and it just ends up being a confusing mess. And you bet things will be posted in wrong boards.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Theories is the only of those boards that I am in support of.

Let's be honest here; doesn't it seem a bit stupid to split a board that is rarely used, into 5 different boards? I mean come on. Let's be real.

I guess the non-tulpa-related scientific discussion board is okay. I just don't think it's necessary.

Theories would be neat though. Although I'm pretty sure the way in which I'd use it may cause extreme doubt in others. So.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Derp, I realize that moderators are users with power. The term for people that can delete threads is "moderator." Do you mind? Merging threads, does it add that thread's replies after the thread it's being merged to? Sounds cool.

And, it doesn't jade members who actually chose to answer. As for your implication that this forum would become mostly a wiki of answering questions, dismissed. A complete exaggeration.. and assumes that the rate would increase for some reason.

My lip hurts.

Guest Anonymous

Sands, Kiahdaj, what I had quoted was from a while back and isn't in the works quite yet. It will be discussed further and there will be some newer input in it. Don't worry though, there will be some changes occurring soon, and I think you both will appreciate them.

Merging threads, does it add that thread's replies after the thread it's being merged to? Sounds cool.

Yes.

And, it doesn't jade members who actually chose to answer.

I can only work off what I've experienced, Yori.

Ok, so what you're saying is that we must hide the new threads from their view by merging them with old threads (or some other method) because even people who are jaded by answering them will still answer them if they see them.

Uh, wow. I don't think they're -that- worth considering. I guess it doesn't hurt, but it could've gone fine either way. If they had to learn self-control, I would still be able to sleep at night. Would feel 0 guilt.

My lip hurts.

And hey, it's not like the "new suggested way of handling previously answered questions" just appeared by itself. There are reasons given for it in its own thread, which I suggest you read as well.

Indeed it did have it's own thread: Q&A Moderation. Yes, I made a mistake (not posting there). I will fix that now.

Discussion of Q&A Moderation from Dealing with Spam/Adbots merged with Q&A Moderation thread, as obliquely suggested by waffles.

See also: "new suggested way of handling previously answered questions".

(Post merged from Dealing with Spam/Adbots thread.)

Please consider supporting Tulpa.info.

Ok, so what you're saying is that we must hide the new threads from their view by merging them with old threads (or some other method) because even people who are jaded by answering them will still answer them if they see them.

Thread merging isn't done to "hide" anything, it's to get all information on one subject into the same thread so it's easier to find. And yes, it actually does make it easier to find if you use the search functions on the site.

In this case it was presented as a solution for the annoyance of questions that were already asked tho. Was only talking about it in context of this thread.

My lip hurts.

Yes, it is a good solution to annoyance and it makes it easier for everyone in the future, for those who actually use the search function. Not sure how you missed that part as it's obvious, but considering you don't seem to think making tulpas is about using your own brain...

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)