Dealing with Spam/Adbots

Chupi

When you see an advertising post created by a bot, please use the report button. Reporting spam lets us remove it and ban the spambot so it doesn't keep posting more. Don't reply to spam, it only brings more attention to the posts.

iMA1F7s.png

Here is an example of what NOT to do when you see spam.

This thread is in off-topic, so it's only visible to logged-in users. The thread was not reported. Instead people used it as a joke thread. The bot went on to make a few more spam posts that weren't reported until I noticed one, banned it and cleaned them up.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Oh cmon... spam bots aren't Tinkerbell, it's not like they grow stronger because you replied to them. They're not even sentient. That was a nice joke thread, tehe. Also, the bot was already making posts before that one, further proof that us replying to it didn't cause anything.

My lip hurts.

I second what Yori said.

As long as it's in Off-Topic, and there isn't a link or something, I don't see any reason not to have fun with it.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

.info freaking out about the things that mean nothing and are harmless while allowing the actually bad stuff to continue existing.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

1. Replying bumps the thread and gets it more attention.

2. Not reporting the thread lets the bot go on doing its thing because it doesn't get banned.

3. Both the OP of that thread and the bot's sig had links in them.

4. Off-topic is supposed to be sensible chat about non tulpa related subjects, not random /b/-lookalike circlejerks about man boobs.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Bad stuff? D: What do you mean! (No seriously, I don't know.)

Personally, I'm with you. I don't see anything majorly wrong with the community. But Sands has listed some complaints here.

As for the spambot, I don't think anyone can really be blamed for responding to that topic. It wasn't entirely clear that it was a bot -- it might actually have been a person posting those. Several of the account's posts were on topic, or very nearly on topic, and it might have changed its signature after the posts were made.

"'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.'"

It hinted at being a bot when it seemed to only be able to respond to key words in a thread involving health. For example, if someone asks a very specific question abotu sleep (I think the question was about sleep, that I am thinking of), rather than addressing the question it will just tell you about the health benefits of sleep, similar wording across posts, etc.

1. That's circular. We were saying there wasn't anything wrong with people talking about jokes in the first place

2. Yeah

4. /b/ is a random board, so just about anything can look like /b/ and I don't remember a discussion about manboobs xD

5 (me): I'm sure there is similar joking that was not complained about on its own in Off-topic threads without the help of a spam bot. I don't see why only "sensible" discussion should ever be in the community.

Reading the complaints now Shui. "Bad mods, idiots are let to be idiots and you're the one getting punished if you make them cry by trying to set them straight, idiocy in general, roleplaying, badges, other stuff where you treat your tuppers as some kind of trophies, no professionalism, treating own opinions as facts, people not being able to take critique (both mods and members), hugboxing, opinions and freedom of speech not allowed because it might make someone cry..."

Being an idiot in Sand's mind probably isn't against the rules or harmful to anyone (lol), so making them cry isn't cool.

I don't see what's wrong with roleplaying as long as, if it's a thread, it's not in the wrong section, or if it's in a thread that wasn't originally RP, that people aren't still trying to get answers or replies there.

My guess is that to treat a tupper like a trophy is to boast about them or even talk about them in a positive way, which isn't different from boasting about a new friend. It's not treating them like an object.

The forum's users don't need to be professionals...

Not sure if the critique line is true but from the first complaint, it's probably something more intense than simple criticism. I'm sure freedom of speech is allowed here, (look at the "idiots" posting) not that it means you can post whatever you want.

As for his complaint about people asking questions that were answered already, if it's opinion questions, or a poll, this board is big enough that the answers to one old thread won't be the same for the new thread and opinions may change based on actual happenings. (I guess this goes for fact questions too if the people responding are only givign opinion answers).

Plus, leaving a thread unanswered doesn't do anything or change anything. It's just a silent way to voice agitation.

Just like the tons of other threads someone doesn't read, they can scroll past a question thread if needed.

My lip hurts.

What you're talking about has been discussed before in the thread. I suggest you actually read the entire thread next time when you're linked to something before talking about it. And when you do talk about it, post it in the correct thread and all seeing that this thread wasn't about the other thread but something completely different..

As for professionalism, it's actually in the rules.

1.8. Be Professional.

Be professional towards others by minimizing your use of profanity, explicit content, etc.

For further clarification, please read my comments about professionalism for further clarification of the following rules.

Tt should be noted that the community is not against cursing. The occasional "hell," "damn," or "shit" is fine, if used in good taste, and members can swear without crossing the line of professionalism just as the line can be crossed without the use of a single swear word.. For purposes of these rules, offensive, explicit, and profane will be described in the following rules.

Link to the rules here. Do note the part about immaturity in Pleeb's comments about professionalism and how a community allowed to be that way wouldn't cater to the serious people we want instead of teenagers. Kinda what's happening now, gee I wonder why.

So saying we don't have to follow the rules is... Sort of stupid. How about you read the rules next time.

Also the new suggested way of handling previously answered questions (merge with old if it has new content/delete?) finally seems to be how the mods want to do things, so again, you're kinda going against the actually good mod choice here by saying people should be allowed to ask the same questions over and over again. Enable the people to be lazy and they will be. Good tuppermancer material, that.

Also Chupi, off-topic doesn't have any rules against manboob circlejerking. Besides, the thread started being about cup sizes and not just maletits, and the female members were a part of the discussion anyways. So it was less about moobs and more about tits in general. And discussing cup sizes honestly doesn't seem like a nonsensible topic to me, but maybe virgins living in their mom's basement think so when they're never seen a pair of titties except their own. Nothing wrong with tits and it's important for those who want to use bras to know they should get the right kind.

Anyways, if you want it to actually have a rule against manboob talk like that, you gotta add that stuff in instead of expecting others to think like you. After all, this is what off-topic says to me:

"Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit into any other section of the forums.

This board is usually unmoderated and uncontrolled; enter at your own risk."

"Uncontrolled" means sensible chat about non-manboobs? Or well, I guess in this case, it means you can't have sensible chat about cup sizes, tits and bras.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)