Tulpas in New York Times

Guest Anonymous

Journalism can rarely produce content about any sub-culture phenomenons that aren't either neutral enough to be treated with utmost indifference or misrepresented enough to make a load people cringe. Not a bad article, relative to what i was expecting, so i guess everything went brothels from excommunication.

tell the rapper what i'm gonna do with all this money

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy reads about tulpa in Times article.

Googles it.

Finds Tulpa.info.

Finds thread about the article he just read.

Sees half the community immediately assume that the member mentioned in the article is a depraved pervert.

Takes that assumption to the logical conclusion: that the bulk of the community is depraved perverts.

Runs away and never comes back.

"'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.'"

Also, about that love part in there.

'For a while he was intensely involved with her, and said it felt more wonderful than falling in love with a girl.'

Yes, I was intensely involved with my tulpa, not sexually or any other kind of other romance I can think of. I was intensely involved because I was getting results from what I was doing, to the point of hearing her clearly after that exam. So of course I was intensely involved, that's exciting stuff for someone studying psychology at the time, and so saying that it felt more wonderful than falling in love with a girl at some points was how I would describe it. The whole experience has opened my eyes to what things are possible, and helped myself understand my own spirituality.

Some people sadly just can't understand how love can be expressed outside of romantic and sexual love nowadays, which is concerning. It's unfortunate your meaning wasn't correctly interpreted by some, initially. :c Sadly even those off the internet might also misinterpret it.

I'd hate the idea of a load of people starting tulpas out of curiosity and then bailing out because it seems like too much work; it wouldn't be good for either party involved...

I don't think much suffering would be involved if they decided they didn't have the commitment after all. That article wasn't much. Reading this forum would increase the chances of wanting to make a tulpa more. That was just a glimpse.

Finally, it appears that the person is here.... and defending himself. It was absolutely ridiculous that some people were sniffing "furry." Seriously...

Plus, people that are attracted to animals and want to sex them are not called furries. They're zoophiles.

Having said that, they got 150 words and both furries and tulpa-fuckingsexing managed to find their way in there, so maybe that's not so good.

Liking foxes doesn't make you a furry... and no sexing was even mentioned... you are implying that everyone with an animalistic tulpa is a furry, and a sexual furry at that, on this forum, if you are not joking.

Also, I might say that brony hosts are more common than furry ones.

Guy reads about tulpa in Times article.

Googles it.

Finds Tulpa.info.

Finds thread about the article he just read.

Sees half the community immediately assume that the member mentioned in the article is a depraved pervert.

Takes that assumption to the logical conclusion: that the bulk of the community is depraved perverts.

Runs away and never comes back.

Yeah, like where the hell did that come from? How is he any different from the members here that made animalistic tulpa? I'm so disappointed...

I seriously hope that this won't become a worldwide phenomena.

The community / concept in itself it's already so fucked up already as it is.

Okay... you hope that lots of other people won't make a tulpa?

My lip hurts.

Guest MegaBusta

Also, I might say that brony hosts are more common than furry ones.

Bronies are a subset of furries.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that the average NYT reader would not come away from that article thinking that Biotech is a depraved pervert. More likely they'd think of daemons a la Golden Compass/Northern Lights -- similarly small animals and usually opposite sex from their person. It's pretty much just other depraved perverts who read that much into "intensely involved with" when it's regarding a small talking fuzzy critter.

This is what makes me sad about how this community responds to a thread like this. Welcome new people who found us because of this article? Finally a mainstream media mention and it doesn't portray us as freaks and demon-summoners? Nice mention but not much detail? No. Instead we complain about something that didn't happen and that the article didn't imply happened. We may as well stick a banner at the top of the forum: "Welcome to Tulpa.info. Leave your optimism at the door. Abandon all hope ye who enter here."

Some people sadly just can't understand how love can be expressed outside of romantic and sexual love nowadays, which is concerning. It's unfortunate your meaning wasn't correctly interpreted by some, initially. :c Sadly even those off the internet might also misinterpret it.

Sure they can. You just have to use the right analogy. Compare it to the way a parent loves their child or the way a kid loves their dog. Imperfect comparison sure, but it gets across the idea of a very strong and caring love with (hopefully) no romantic or sexual overtones.

Bronies are a subset of furries.

Cloppers are a subset of furries.

FTFY. Most bronies are not sexually attracted to horses of any sort.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Bronies aren't a subset of furry, not simply because they aren't attracted to horses (if they were attracted to physical horses they would not be furries anyway), but because they aren't into dressing up as animals or anthro..bla bla halflings, and aren't fans of them specificaly in other ways either.

My lip hurts.

I'm just kinda happy we're getting some form of real recognition and, like Chupi said we aren't being portrayed as demon summoners or freaks who are trying to self induce DID. And if this makes tulpas go mainstream, who really cares? Most people with a tulpa end up becoming deeper, more compassionate human beings in the long run. Is that really such a bad thing?

Just wait until the Vatican in the catholic church find out about this then the satanic abuse will come.Although judging by their usual delay in current event's even if tulpa forcing became a well known practice throughout the world in 2014 they would respond to it in 2018.

''I mold my imagination as if it were clay''.