Tulpas in New York Times

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the worst way we can be portrayed, but it's certainly not the best.

The best is not at all.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Um, the Livin' in Tulpa Times article... uh, they are conveying that tulpas are mainly a way to feel the presence of a god, and comparing it to what god-believers think like, believing a god is watching over their shoulder. What the hell. I've never even heard of people creating a god with one, although that's possible. But why would they pick that as an introduction to tulpa?

And did this Jack ever say that he viewed tulpa as a supernatural thing? They may be slandering this guy. Ugh.

And the other articles are referring to them as gods too... is this some kind of collaborated thing? I don't understand how they're coincidentally doing this. I suspect that all some of them did was notice that Other Article treated it as a god thing and then just slopped their own together... it's not really hard to discover or realize "hey, how is this mainly about creating a god for yourself rather than an imaginary friend?"

They wouldn't say that people with normal imaginary friends have imaginary "gods", sooo...

Arrrgh.. >.< That was so bad, I needed a warning before clicking, rofl.

My lip hurts.

Yori, a lot of smaller news websites are just buzzfeeds for other ones. The heavy hitter was the NY Times article.

Anyone who is truly interested in tulpas would search google for them, find Tulpa.info and maybe even the subreddit (depending on demographic), and quickly realize that this is not a common stance taken.

The rest will blow it off, most likely. That is probably for the best.

I think they are also looking at Tulpa roots. Tulpas come from Buddhism, an obscure sect of the philosophy/religion but it still has spiritual roots. It's not a very large gap you need to jump to make a connection to people possibly using tulpas as a way to get closer to God. What ever God it is that you worship.

And like everyone else is saying, at least it's a start.

This seems to suggest that tulpa were originally meant to be created gods in Tibetan Buddhism. Though students who believed in the divinity of the tulpa were deemed failures.

"'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.'"

Um, the Livin' in Tulpa Times article... uh, they are conveying that tulpas are mainly a way to feel the presence of a god, and comparing it to what god-believers think like, believing a god is watching over their shoulder. What the hell. I've never even heard of people creating a god with one, although that's possible. But why would they pick that as an introduction to tulpa?

Because they're basically saying god is a tulpa, As many have discussed

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

Because they're basically saying god is a tulpa, As many have discussed

So, I followed that link you posted to another thread, where the first link was this, which talks about the thoughts of "Anthropology Professor Tanya Luhrmann" -- the same one who wrote the NY Times article.

Interesting. Very interesting.

"'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.'"