Tulpas in New York Times

Guest Anonymous

"As Christians, at the very least we would hope that people would think we're insane. Because if enough people think we're insane, then maybe a few of those will become intrigued. And of those who are intrigued, maybe some will become inspired"

- James MacPherson

Honestly, having people thinking we're 'insane' for making tulpa is fine. Just as long as this community keeps user submitted content at a PG level and shitposting at a minimum, we won't be seen as insane degenerates. Might be about time to try find and delete any threads talking about things that should be kept in the bedroom, and threads that seem like they've been written by a 12 year old on a sugar high (even if they are slightly on-topic). I don't have a problem with the community making tulpa based off of cartoon characters, the only problem I find I have with the community is that the average age of users here feels to be ~14 years old. If we could find what is making people seem childish on tulpa.info and change that before we start getting into the media more (which will happen if the community keeps growing... Someone like Tanya who is interested in this sort of stuff with stumble upon us and write something in the future), we have a chance at reducing the risk of getting more children here, and being seen as a bunch of kids making imaginary friends. Unless it's just me that feels the community is like this that is.

Also, this coming from the person that has bragged about getting mentioned in the NYT, there seem to be a few members out there that just crave attention. I'm sure that there are a few people that have just made up their progress with their tulpa, which is bad, but I'm talking about the people with tulpa that just scream for attention with it. If that could be cut down too that'd be nice. Anyway, just seems like these articles are giving us a chance to go improve our image before tulpa.info itself is mentioned in an article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoughtform#Modern_perspective

'I say 'soul making' Soul as distinguished from an Intelligence- There may be intelligences or sparks of divinity in millions- but they are not souls until they acquire identities, till each one is personality itself'

-John Keats, 1819

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's actually perfect. And everyone keeps wanting to look more professional for the scientific community as well, this would actually be killing two birds with one stone if we would pull it off.

"As Christians, at the very least we would hope that people would think we're insane. Because if enough people think we're insane, then maybe a few of those will become intrigued. And of those who are intrigued, maybe some will become inspired"

- James MacPherson

Honestly, having people thinking we're 'insane' for making tulpa is fine. Just as long as this community keeps user submitted content at a PG level and shitposting at a minimum, we won't be seen as insane degenerates. Might be about time to try find and delete any threads talking about things that should be kept in the bedroom, and threads that seem like they've been written by a 12 year old on a sugar high (even if they are slightly on-topic). I don't have a problem with the community making tulpa based off of cartoon characters, the only problem I find I have with the community is that the average age of users here feels to be ~14 years old. If we could find what is making people seem childish on tulpa.info and change that before we start getting into the media more (which will happen if the community keeps growing... Someone like Tanya who is interested in this sort of stuff with stumble upon us and write something in the future), we have a chance at reducing the risk of getting more children here, and being seen as a bunch of kids making imaginary friends. Unless it's just me that feels the community is like this that is.

Also, this coming from the person that has bragged about getting mentioned in the NYT, there seem to be a few members out there that just crave attention. I'm sure that there are a few people that have just made up their progress with their tulpa, which is bad, but I'm talking about the people with tulpa that just scream for attention with it. If that could be cut down too that'd be nice. Anyway, just seems like these articles are giving us a chance to go improve our image before tulpa.info itself is mentioned in an article.

I agree with this completely.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

...the only problem I find I have with the community is that the average age of users here feels to be ~14 years old.

The seemingly low age average bugs me a lot too, but it's not something that will be easy to deal with. Young teens are probably the one demographic most likely to give tulpamancy a try, and may or may not be the demographic that can create tulpas with the most ease. Maybe when the community becomes more popular we'll get enough older members to balance it out, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

Also, sweeping the topic of tulpa sex under the rug is less mature than discussing it. Although with the aforementioned youngins, we may need to get a NSFW tag for threads, or something.

Also, sweeping the topic of tulpa sex under the rug is less mature than discussing it. Although with the aforementioned youngins, we may need to get a NSFW tag for threads, or something.

Agreed. It's obviously possible and obviously happening. We've made it a taboo but it honestly doesn't have to be if we approach it from a better angle. I love the NSFW idea.

First step the community can take is just to hit the report button more for unwanted content, even for threads that haven't been bumped for a long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoughtform#Modern_perspective

'I say 'soul making' Soul as distinguished from an Intelligence- There may be intelligences or sparks of divinity in millions- but they are not souls until they acquire identities, till each one is personality itself'

-John Keats, 1819

Are we going to lose the yogurt cannon filter for use of the NSFW tag?

It's practically a running gag at this point, I say that stays if we were to implement such a tag.

Also, where do we draw the line in "average shitposting 14 year old" and "completely relevant and insightful, albeit completely insane, 14 year old" and "average shitposting 20-40-something" and "completely relevant and insightful, albeit completely insane, 20-40-something"?

I thought it was if it was relevant (independent of age or craziness) it's okay, with a few exceptions. Does this need to change?

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

Maybe when the community becomes more popular we'll get enough older members to balance it out, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

Look at the majority of the internet population.

Agreed with the NSFW tag approach.

- James MacPherson

Yes, let's take the same approach Christians want to take in a "for science!" community. That'll really help. Also, what you say here is contradicting what you say here:

First you say "Let's grab people's attention by looking insane" and you follow it up by "Ugh I hate people who just crave attention".

In my opinion, attention isn't what you're looking for. Alright, I understand that you want to make this community acceptable. But why didn't you focus on this before you got an article in the NYT? Why are we only focusing on progress now tulpas might become public?

I hate to see people jump on their high horses once shit actually starts mattering. I see the admins and mods and other people complaining about the community's content driving people away, but what about all the people that stayed? Are they just as much degenerates as those that made the community look ugly? Why did you stay in this community even though there are painfully obvious attention seekers, shitposters and crazy 14 year olds on sugar highs?

You're not considering any of this. I agree with you wanting to clean up the community, but this mindset of "Hey people are looking quick guys fix yourselves up and look good" is just as childish as those you want to weed out. What do you really want, Biotech? Or anybody, for that matter? What do you think publicity on tulpas will do? Get you scientific research? What if scientists actually do research it and come to the conclusion that all your tulpas are fake and you're just delusional and fooling yourselves and there is no such thing as a secondary personality parallel processing? Have you ever considered that? Have you ever considered that this place may even start containing MORE angsty 14 year olds who sound like they're on a sugar high, MORE shitposters and MORE trolls?

I feel as though everybody is getting way too excited over publicity and this sudden behavior shift looks like nothing more than "muh fame" to me. If you disliked the community, you should've said so right away and tried to do something about it, rather than wait until some media thing picked up on this and got moderately interested.

Also, there's nothing to brag about, Biotech. I understand your pride, but you may well have ruined this community with that interview. Sure, it might improve, I'm not denying that. I'm just trying to point you to a mindstate where you also consider issues that you don't want to consider because they might not be nice to face. It's easy to weed out 14 year olds. It's not easy to miss those sugar high 14 year olds because they're so much better than whatever type of people comes to replace them.

But that's not all. Before you even want to CONSIDER getting rid of certain people you might want to start getting some consensus on tulpaforcing. If I go into 10 tulpa sub-communities, and ask all 10 of them "what is switching?" i will probably receive 10 different answers, or even more. You're never gonna have the pretty community you want if things stay like that. You need to start defining. And not just whichever definition suits YOU but whichever definition suits the COMMUNITY.

Maybe that way, when new people ask questions, they won't receive 349873 different answers and leave just as confused as when they came in.

Maybe that way, there'd be less arguments on "tulpas" "tulpae" "tulpai" "tulpeaeiseusie" or whatever plural you can come up with.

Maybe that way, there wouldn't be people who think switching is the same as possession.

You can't deny these issues, and it's not only semantics and definitions that need to be fixed. Even though consensus on what means what does a LOT for the community, also the collective mindstate needs to be changed. People need to start to understand the subjectivity of this practice, and even though I'm guilty for doing so, not push their own experiences unto others. That just doesn't work.

But besides respecting another's subjectivity, people shouldn't be afraid to call bullshit when they believe they see it. The method with which you do this is important though. You can say "what you're saying is shit" or you could question the shit out of them. Ask them all sorts of questions. I.e. if someone claims to have switched on the first day, you ask them something like "so you were switched, could you see your tulpa moving your body?" if they say yes, you explain to them that that's called possession, and also explain what switching is (which would be a whole lot easier if there were some consensus on stuff). Nobody's hurt, and somebody's learned.

That's all I have for the community. Now as for the admins, they need to start looking in the right damn direction. Right now, most I see (and of course this is my subjective opinion and perspective blah blah banner) is the admins being tolerant of stuff they shouldn't tolerate and being harsh on things they could've been more lenient about. They don't seem to be in a progressive mindset at all to me, and their behavior looks quite immature, not exactly fit to run a community that wants to look good for the presses or whatever.

I don't want to make this any longer, but if you'd like to know what I consider a progressive mindset just ask. And don't you dare saying stuff like "but omg zerer u do teh same stoof you complain bout k" if we're going to improve, no u's aren't gonna get us nowhere. For improvement to happen, you need to look at past mistakes and figure out ways to fix them, as well as thinking ahead to prevent future mistakes.

TL;DR

Don't seek media attention. It'll only make you pretend to be a community that you're not. It's faking and it's bad. Don't change for the media. Change because you want to improve.

Try thinking ahead, even when things seem to be going well. Don't ignore the possibilities that you don't want to face, that'll only increase the likelihood of you having to face them.

Communities need consensus. Make sure you have it.

Respect other's subjectivity, but also your own, and don't be afraid to question people so they can realize their own mistakes.

Don't consider methods/mindsets different to yours "mistakes". If they work for someone, they're valid.

If you're gonna run a place, behave like a leader and not like a member with power. Question yourself as much as others, so others have no room to question you. The more people within your community disagree with you, the worse you're doing.

No u never works.