Tulpas in New York Times

Guest Anonymous

"Or anybody, for that matter? What do you think publicity on tulpas will do? Get you scientific research? What if scientists actually do research it and come to the conclusion that all your tulpas are fake and you're just delusional and fooling yourselves and there is no such thing as a secondary personality parallel processing? Have you ever considered that?

Have you ever considered that this place may even start containing MORE angsty 14 year olds who sound like they're on a sugar high, MORE shitposters and MORE trolls?

I feel as though everybody is getting way too excited over publicity and this sudden behavior shift looks like nothing more than "muh fame" to me. If you disliked the community, you should've said so right away and tried to do something about it, rather than wait until some media thing picked up on this and got moderately interested."

Here is the Zero-forum I first interpreted... the scary one.

Anyway, "your tulpa are fake" is a nonsense phrase to me. As for the other part, I guess what you're saying is that they might say there is no such thing as your brain responding on its own as another personality set... welp, differences between tulpa and host. :D

As for the whole "omg, this community is going to be ruined by a bunch of lame people!" or "omg, other people are gonna make tulpa for themselves and do it stupidly and uughh it'll ruin tulpa" stuff, I see it as melodramatic and just as hype-y as "omg, let's look good guys, we're gonna be starz." Can we stop with all of that?

I even see you saying that him talking to a co of NYT may have "ruined this community." A big sin on tulpa.info for some - talking to someone about it and having it published. Let's not forget that we are all people outside this too & shouldn't try to control people's lives so much. (I'm not just going "autonomy! personal liberty! their choice!" with everything though. We don't have to appear places with giant megaphones and randomly talk about tulpa.)

My lip hurts.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't necessarily think it was a bad idea to go to the media, but Zero is right. We should have been doing what we can to fix this place before we were being looked at. Not because we might be looked at, but so we can actually make this place grow in a positive direction.

Yes, let's take the same approach Christians want to take in a "for science!" community. That'll really help. Also, what you say here is contradicting what you say here

I'm not saying let's follow the Christian approach (most Christians will interpret the 'let's hope people think we're insane and become intrigued' as 'we should be living a life noticeably different to the world around us, by a power that is not our own', not 'let's go full retard'), I'm saying that having people thinking we're 'insane' for making tulpa is fine, because we're making a glorified imaginary friend and trying to induce auditory hallucinations. I'm saying that there is no need to get upset over the fact that people are going to think that we're insane. I'm also using this to say that it's alright some people think we're insane, just as long as the community keeps its content at a PG level and shitposting to a minimum so we won't be seen as insane DEGENERATES.

First you say "Let's grab people's attention by looking insane" and you follow it up by "Ugh I hate people who just crave attention".

You've misinterpreted the meaning of 'honestly, having people thinking we're 'insane' for making tulpa is fine' as 'let's go full retard and pretend we really are insane'. I'm not saying let's go full retard, I'm saying it's alright if people think we are insane, 'Just as long as this community keeps user submitted content at a PG level and shitposting at a minimum, we won't be seen as insane degenerates.'

In my opinion, attention isn't what you're looking for. Alright, I understand that you want to make this community acceptable. But why didn't you focus on this before you got an article in the NYT? Why are we only focusing on progress now tulpas might become public?

Honestly, I wanted to move away from this community and go do my own thing with what I've learned about tulpa, so I wasn't really caring what this community was doing and how they were behaving. I was a moderator for a short time, but I just felt like moving away. Since having that article about tulpa go up, I decided to see where the community stands, and I feel that here we have a real chance of having somewhere nice for people to come learn about tulpa. Also the day I found out that their was going to be an article was the same day it came out.

I hate to see people jump on their high horses once shit actually starts mattering. I see the admins and mods and other people complaining about the community's content driving people away, but what about all the people that stayed? Are they just as much degenerates as those that made the community look ugly? Why did you stay in this community even though there are painfully obvious attention seekers, shitposters and crazy 14 year olds on sugar highs?

Well, I didn't stay, I went inactive and stopped being a part of the moderator team. I'm staying now because I see that there has been a lot of effort, money and time put into this website, and I think that it has the potential to become somewhere nice for people to come learn about tulpa.

You're not considering any of this. I agree with you wanting to clean up the community, but this mindset of "Hey people are looking quick guys fix yourselves up and look good" is just as childish as those you want to weed out. What do you really want, Biotech?

Sure, because not doing trying to help at all right now would be the most mature thing to do. Sure, it's been left to the last minute, and thats not a good thing to do, but why complain that people are trying to clean this place up even if it is the last minute? 'What do you really want, Biotech?'... ?

Or anybody, for that matter? What do you think publicity on tulpas will do? Get you scientific research? What if scientists actually do research it and come to the conclusion that all your tulpas are fake and you're just delusional and fooling yourselves and there is no such thing as a secondary personality parallel processing? Have you ever considered that?

Can't live in our imaginary world forever, eventually we do need to show that there is something different (not nothing at all) happening. I don't see why someone would be scared of finding truth... I remember that's one of the main reasons why people started to make tulpa, to see if it would actually work. Honestly I don't want scientific research done right now, that would make me have to think of other things to do once I get out of university lol. I want more publicity because I feel that making a tulpa has opened my eyes to what is possible. I want more discussions on tulpa made with a more diverse group of people.

Have you ever considered that this place may even start containing MORE angsty 14 year olds who sound like they're on a sugar high, MORE shitposters and MORE trolls?

Most likely, 14 year olds are at the age were they try out many new things all at once, and are desperately trying to be a part of a group and accepted by their peers. But I honestly see us attracting an older demographic if we're in articles talking about god in things like the NYT. It doesn't really make sense that being put into these articles will attract younger people... Most likely sticking to places like 4chan will bring them in, not the NYT.

I feel as though everybody is getting way too excited over publicity and this sudden behavior shift looks like nothing more than "muh fame" to me. If you disliked the community, you should've said so right away and tried to do something about it, rather than wait until some media thing picked up on this and got moderately interested.

I did dislike the community, I was a moderator, and I gave up. We were even trying to create another website at another point. I suppose life just got too busy to keep interested. But what can you do, what has been done cannot be changed. I'm not going to back down on trying to help the community because you feel I'm not entitled to because I'm trying at the last minute. This has nothing to do with 'muh fame'. I love talking about tulpa to other people, and I honestly want other people to make a tulpa to find out what it's really like. I am although happy that I was the one to help an article be published with tulpa in it, can't lie about that.

Also, there's nothing to brag about, Biotech. I understand your pride, but you may well have ruined this community with that interview. Sure, it might improve, I'm not denying that. I'm just trying to point you to a mindstate where you also consider issues that you don't want to consider because they might not be nice to face. It's easy to weed out 14 year olds. It's not easy to miss those sugar high 14 year olds because they're so much better than whatever type of people comes to replace them.

I don't get how the community has been ruined with this interview. I can only see things improve from here, especially if we all try to clean the place up. There is something to brag about, I helped get the thing I love get into the NYT. I couldn't have been happier when I saw it.

But that's not all. Before you even want to CONSIDER getting rid of certain people you might want to start getting some consensus on tulpaforcing. If I go into 10 tulpa sub-communities, and ask all 10 of them "what is switching?" i will probably receive 10 different answers, or even more. You're never gonna have the pretty community you want if things stay like that. You need to start defining. And not just whichever definition suits YOU but whichever definition suits the COMMUNITY.

>before you want to get rid of people you need to get a consensus on terms

...? You've lost me here.

Maybe that way, when new people ask questions, they won't receive 349873 different answers and leave just as confused as when they came in.

Pretty sure we have a page on this website that gives the generally accepted definition of the different terms.

[you've kinda gone on a tangent here....]

That's all I have for the community. Now as for the admins, they need to start looking in the right damn direction. Right now, most I see (and of course this is my subjective opinion and perspective blah blah banner) is the admins being tolerant of stuff they shouldn't tolerate and being harsh on things they could've been more lenient about. They don't seem to be in a progressive mindset at all to me, and their behavior looks quite immature, not exactly fit to run a community that wants to look good for the presses or whatever.

It's a hard job to do moderating this community. Most the time when you want to put your foot down all you get is 'what a nazi mod' from everyone.

I don't want to make this any longer, but if you'd like to know what I consider a progressive mindset just ask. And don't you dare saying stuff like "but omg zerer u do teh same stoof you complain bout k" if we're going to improve, no u's aren't gonna get us nowhere. For improvement to happen, you need to look at past mistakes and figure out ways to fix them, as well as thinking ahead to prevent future mistakes.

...? I've already given out what I feel on what needs to change.

TL;DR

Don't seek media attention. It'll only make you pretend to be a community that you're not. It's faking and it's bad. Don't change for the media. Change because you want to improve.

We are a community, there has been a constant push for changing the things I've suggested since the birth of the community, it just hasn't seem to have happened. This isn't faking, this is using a great wake up call for everyone to change.

If you're gonna run a place, behave like a leader and not like a member with power. Question yourself as much as others, so others have no room to question you. The more people within your community disagree with you, the worse you're doing.

What (Sorry for the short replies, I've gotta get going).

No u never works.

Again, what?

Anyway, hope the cleared up a few things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoughtform#Modern_perspective

'I say 'soul making' Soul as distinguished from an Intelligence- There may be intelligences or sparks of divinity in millions- but they are not souls until they acquire identities, till each one is personality itself'

-John Keats, 1819

But besides respecting another's subjectivity, people shouldn't be afraid to call bullshit when they believe they see it. The method with which you do this is important though. You can say "what you're saying is shit" or you could question the shit out of them. Ask them all sorts of questions. I.e. if someone claims to have switched on the first day, you ask them something like "so you were switched, could you see your tulpa moving your body?" if they say yes, you explain to them that that's called possession, and also explain what switching is (which would be a whole lot easier if there were some consensus on stuff). Nobody's hurt, and somebody's learned.

I think you're right and I should be more openly skeptical towards members. There are plenty of people I've seen say things that I've thought were just massively wrong but I've always felt it was bad of me to say anything.

For example, if I see some one say they started creating a tulpa and said tulpa became vocal in a mater of hours, everything I know tells me that's wrong. But how can I tell some one that their subjective experience isn't what they say it is, just because everyone I respect says tulpas take longer than that to make? Even if they're 14 and everything in my gut tells me they're stupid and childish, that doesn't mean I can assume I'm right. I've just let the pre-teens run around and I get aggravated by the stuff they start claiming while hating the site a little more each day.

So from now on, I'm going to start questioning the hell out of everyone I find sketchy. At this point I don't even care about what any new members might think of us, I just want the older, more experienced members to be getting more attention and credibility than the pre-teens.

@Biotech, that post wasn't entirely directed at you. Some also at the community as a whole. Also, regarding the glossary, they're personal interpretations of the meanings of our terms. I used switching as an example because it's interpreted so differently by different people, but what I mean with consensus is that the admins actually ask the COMMUNITY what they think terms mean and use the most widely used definitions as the definitions that will leave no room for semantical arguments.

Too tired to get into your other stuff.

Honestly would have thought a poll was done before the glossary was put up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoughtform#Modern_perspective

'I say 'soul making' Soul as distinguished from an Intelligence- There may be intelligences or sparks of divinity in millions- but they are not souls until they acquire identities, till each one is personality itself'

-John Keats, 1819

oh god no

i mean, it wasnt fox news or cnn who got to it first but

oh man

i can just imagine all the facebook people posting about tuppers.

this is probably how ron paul has felt for the last 20 years

I've seen good people bleed

And I thought I'd seen it all

But my own two eyes would prove me wrong that day.

There are things that I've done

Only seen by the sun

And those things will be buried in my grave.

this is probably how ron paul has felt for the last 20 years

My man.

Here is the Zero-forum I first interpreted... the scary one.

I'm not scary. Also [ quote=Zero][/quote ] (with closed brackets.)

Makes quotes pretty.

As a 14-year-old, what does everyone have against people at age 14!? We can be just as mature (or immature) as everyone else.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc