Tulpas in New York Times

Guest Anonymous

As a 14-year-old, what does everyone have against people at age 14!? We can be just as mature (or immature) as everyone else.

Back in 2012, 12 year olds were the thing people were against, in 2013 it's 13 year olds and 14 year olds all together.

The more years we progress the worse humanity becomes.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a 14-year-old, what does everyone have against people at age 14!? We can be just as mature (or immature) as everyone else.

Yes, you certainly can be just as mature, if not more mature that the common adult. The problem comes from the fact that a majority of 14 year olds are angsty teenagers who hate life, or Y.O.L.O swag 420 blaze it all day every day.

i am forever banned from drinking orange juice because my tulpa hates it with a burning passion

Yes, you certainly can be just as mature, if not more mature that the common adult. The problem comes from the fact that bla bla generalization bla anger blah those darned kids blah

As a non-14-year old, I find this to be bullshit. It's already a huge sign of immaturity to see an adult generalize and judge people by age, as opposed to behavior. Everyone 13+ should be judged the same way as you judge everybody else in this community - by what they say and do. I won't be any less or more harsh on a 14-year old than I would be on a 50-year old. You're all people, and you can all act mature to some degree. Of course it's natural that younger people will tend to be more naive, but this doesn't mean that a "majority of 14 year olds are angsty teenagers who hate life, or Y.O.L.O swag 420 blaze it all day every day."

That's a generalization and it's wrong.

...majority of 14 year olds are angsty teenagers who hate life, or Y.O.L.O swag 420 blaze it all day every day.

I would say this is very untrue, it only seems this way because those who do this are, in a sense, louder. As in they talk about it more and try to tell everyone about it.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

So if the community is going to start cracking down on some kinds of behaviour that's outside of the current rules, what kind of behaviour are we talking about?

Unlikely.

As a non-14-year old, I find this to be bullshit. It's already a huge sign of immaturity to see an adult generalize and judge people by age, as opposed to behavior. Everyone 13+ should be judged the same way as you judge everybody else in this community - by what they say and do. I won't be any less or more harsh on a 14-year old than I would be on a 50-year old. You're all people, and you can all act mature to some degree. Of course it's natural that younger people will tend to be more naive, but this doesn't mean that a "majority of 14 year olds are angsty teenagers who hate life, or Y.O.L.O swag 420 blaze it all day every day."

That's a generalization and it's wrong.

Zero ily. Not that I'm 14. Yeah, it's bullshit. I'm pretty immune to generalizations and stereotypes, there isn't one that I follow. From my actual observations, lots of adults are immature, and lots of teens are just fine, if it were on a scatter plot, there wouldn't be a line going chronologically up. It would just be all over the place.

In the end it doesn't even matter a lot of times because people only use supposed inherent immaturity in teens as insults. They don't actually give them any sort of pass for it. It's like hating on people for how they were born or something.

My lip hurts.

The relationship between psychological maturity and age is really heavily debated. There are so many things that are subjective about it, and even determining a way to measure maturity is a hard thing to do. The ability to have mature responses generally is learned, and I would personally say that 14 year olds in general don't have the same life experience as someone older then them, as they are still sheltered and protected by their parents. Of course this isn't the case for everyone, as with everything else you want to cover under a generalization and stereotype, there are going to be people that don't fit under it. With the way I see the average family living in the western world, I don't think a 14 year old in general with have that much maturity. Maybe over in the poorer parts of the world I'd say that 14 year olds are more mature, but over here in Australia, I will continue to think that most 14 year olds aren't psychologically mature. Also the fact that most of them only entered puberty the year before doesn't help with how I look at them and how others treat them. They are still treated as little women and little men. Even the law recognizes this and prevents them from driving and consenting to sex (among many other things) before they have had more experience gained from being treated as a little man/women and no longer a little boy/girl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoughtform#Modern_perspective

'I say 'soul making' Soul as distinguished from an Intelligence- There may be intelligences or sparks of divinity in millions- but they are not souls until they acquire identities, till each one is personality itself'

-John Keats, 1819

I don't really see what you were trying to say with your post that was relevant to what was said before, Biotech. Are you trying to say we should ban all 14 year olds? Or give them a chance to prove their worth first like I suggested? You may also be forgetting that some people make imaginary friends at a very young age, and some of those have never gone away.

Are you willing to tell me someone can have an imaginary friend for many years without that being a tulpa? And if they've had a tulpa since, say, age 6, and they're 14 now, that would leave them with more experience in tulpas than about 95% of this community. Are you willing to say their opinion/perspective is irrelevant purely because of their age?

So if the community is going to start cracking down on some kinds of behaviour that's outside of the current rules, what kind of behaviour are we talking about?

Also curious about this.

This is getting old. I've said in previous posts that it

Might be about time to try find and delete any threads talking about things that should be kept in the bedroom, and threads that seem like they've been written by a 12 year old on a sugar high (even if they are slightly on-topic).

I haven't said anything about banning 14 year olds. I've said that we should remove posts that seem like they've been written by a 12 year old on a sugar high and try find why the community feels like it is made up of people that lack life experience and maturity (14 year olds), and try change that. I think I suggested that people just hit the report button for posts that seem like they've been written by children.

___

Also I don't really get how my previous post isn't relevant. We were talking about our opinions on the psychological maturity of people and how it may or may not be related to age, and that's what I talked about. I'm really not understanding you...

As for those other questions.

Too tired to get into your other stuff.

____

Honestly, I've given my opinions and suggestions, and have defended what I've said enough. This thread has just turned into a giant flaming festival, which just isn't beneficial for anyone. I'm stepping out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoughtform#Modern_perspective

'I say 'soul making' Soul as distinguished from an Intelligence- There may be intelligences or sparks of divinity in millions- but they are not souls until they acquire identities, till each one is personality itself'

-John Keats, 1819