Constant Nightmares?

Undefined

So for the past week or more I've had a lot of trouble sleeping, and when I do I've been having not so nice nightmares. It's getting worse and today I fell asleep while forcing and had a quite horrible one with tulpas. That made me wonder if the two might be related.

I've never had and doubts or fears to do with my tulpa, and none of the other dreams were even slightly related but I hadn't considered the two to be linked before. I also wanted to know if that dream has any chance of effecting my poor tulpa badly? Or if myconstant nightmares will effect her growth or personality development?

Should I stop forcing until they go away or are they an unpleasant side effect? My tulpa is only around 15 days old and besides occasional emotional response she is pretty much quiet.

Hey Undefined,

It's getting worse and today I fell asleep while forcing and had a quite horrible one with tulpas. That made me wonder if the two might be related.

There’s a concept called day residue in dreams, which basically means some dreams may be derived on what you did during the day. And in your case where you fell asleep while forcing, it would make sense that you would have a nightmare involving tulpas.

Whether or not those dreams actually have a meaning or correlation that you should take heed of is kind of a complicated matter to give you advice on. Here’s some things you might want to consider:

• Since you’ve been having those nightmares pretty frequently, maybe you should log them in a personal journal or some word processor. Maybe if you write some things down, you may find yourself noticing patterns for each dream. Nightmares, especially the ones where you can still remember your emotions, presumably is something that your subconscious/unconscious is trying to message to you--don't take my word for this though.

• However, sometimes nightmares just happen randomly, and it’s difficult at times to know if they actually have a connection, or if the attempt to see correlation would be apophenia. For apophenia, it basically means trying to make meaning out of what would seem to be meaningless data, and for dreaming in general, the best approach to solve your issues is to try to become lucid.

Maybe tell yourself that whenever you’re going to sleep, you’ll be able to become aware of the nightmare, and confront it. Nightmares usually are a way to get your attention to become aware of any potential conflicts, inner turmoil, etc. you may have.

• Now whether or not it’s related to your tulpa, or if they can affect your tulpa, that’s a matter of your disposition. Because imagine this for a moment, it’s fairly complicated to really stop the mind from going through processes during non-REM and REM stages of sleep.

And even if those nightmares somehow connected with your tulpa, then almost any dream you would have about them would be connected. But again, it’s pretty difficult unless you attempt to become lucid and ask your subconscious/unconscious why you’ve been getting those nightmares. No one can really answer this conflict of yours other than the aspects of your mind in your natural sleep.

TL;DR: It’s unpredictable to give a valid statement that nightmares can actually affect your tulpa. With things such as day residue in dreams, the correlation may have some strong meaning in the beginning stages, but the dream may just be derived from it and could shift into something completely unrelated to tulpas in general.

It’s best if you can either:

• Record those nightmares and try to see if there’s a connection, but you'll have to face the challenge on whether or not you're just connecting random bits of moments in your dreams.

• If possible, maybe use affirmations that you’ll become aware of your nightmares and hopefully ask parts of your mind (e.g. dream characters) why you’ve been getting those nightmares so often.

• You can do all of those points above, but just don’t lend too much attachment that the nightmares will affect your tulpa. From personal experience, I’ve had many nightmares during the tulpa creation process, but they haven’t affected how Eva or Ada interact with me. It’s only when you develop a disposition on those nightmares relating to your progress is what may end up biting you later on.

• Keep forcing either way, don't worry about it too much.

Hmmm, I would have to say in my infinite wisdom that you should turn them into fluffy bunnies. No, I'm not kidding turn whatever bothers you into a fluffy bunny and try learning to realize your dreaming, your tulpa can help.

Generally when dreams follow a pattern it's because there's a cause to them. If you're having an unusually high number of nightmares, there might be some stress or fear causing them.

It is entirely possible that your dreams and your tulpa are related. If you're concerned about your tulpa in any way feel free to ask about it, but there is absolutely nothing that you can be doing wrong. Also on that note, your nightmares will not negatively affect your tulpa in any way unless you expect them to.

However, I would recommend confronting the nightmares. May or may not benefit your tulpa, depending on your beliefs on dreams and how the mind works, but even if it doesn't it's still a really amazing experience to have. A lucid dream forum would be a better place to ask about how to go about doing so, but hugging the hell out of whatever you're scared of is always a good place to start.

Thanks for all the really helpful feedback. I started noting down as much of them as I could remember and have already found a number of patterns. I'm going to look into them a little more online and try the 'I'm not scared of you' approach if they come up again and see if I can work from there.

I'm just not going to associate my tulpa with them, related or not. I wouldn't want to risk making them be an issue for me or her. I did tell her about them though.

Again, thanks all for the detailed help and for pointing me in the right directions <3