A guide on Lucid Dreaming and Tulpas (v1.1)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Yeah Linkzelda is doing the whole writing stuff about every paragraph which is annoying and not exactly what critique should be about, he tends to lack the whole critique of the entire thing part which I hope he'd do more often. He has good points, he just could learn a lot from the whole read the thing through again and drop useless sentences thing. He's gotten better as he's taken advice from some of the great writer dudes here but there's still a bit more to go for him.

Also did I say that you called people stupid or that you were stupid? I didn't. I said the way you wrote and bolded implies such, because all that bolding is just a poor idea for getting your point across. Whether you want it or not, the tone of your text becomes annoying and difficult to read, treating your readers badly. My overuse of the bold was an over the top example and that was annoying to you, wasn't it? It sure seems like it was. So how do you think your readers feel when reading your thing that's also full of bolds and almost as ridiculous with them?

So, I gave you a tip. Drop the bolds or you give your readers all kinds of messages you don't want to give them. It's a bad way of writing. Dropping the readers and them getting annoyed at your writing from here, how do you think all those bolds make you look as a writer? Like I said, like you can't write your thing well enough so that it can be understood with bolds. It's not a good message.

Trust me, those bolds aren't needed and I doubt you will need them in the future. This thing even becomes more readable without when I copypaste it elsewhere, because they don't keep distracting me from reading. And do keep in mind that the bolds lose their emphasis when you overuse them. That is bad. See what I did there?

I'd treat you in a normal and educated way if you realized not everyone is out to get you.

edit: this r key, I swear

It's not about the bold thing. Really, you can stop that. As I've said before, I only did it because I thought it was encouraged in these forums. I have nothing in favor of it, at all. I don't have a problem with the critique, I have a problem with the way you criticize. It's harsh, unpolite, and it makes me want to bold things more instead of the opposite.

"Also did I say that you called people stupid or that you were stupid? I didn't. I said the way you wrote and bolded implies such"

And this is what you said:

"...because this is annoying and either implies you think that we can't get your point because we are idiots, or that you have written your point poorly and it would be impossible for anyone to get the important parts without"

I say the way you wrote it implies that either I think people is stupid or that I'm stupid. If you can easily assume the meaning behind my words and why I bold, why can't I assume the meaning behind your words and mockery? (See what I did there?)

Treating people in a normal and educated way should be the default, not something we have to ask for. If you don't want to do it because I'm a diva, then treat me like shit, I'll greatly welcome it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Linkzelda is doing the whole writing stuff about every paragraph which is annoying and not exactly what critique should be about, he tends to lack the whole critique of the entire thing part which I hope he'd do more often.

I am going through the whole critique by doing it section by section. That’s the whole point of a critique, which is supposed to be something more detailed and providing some alternatives. If it’s annoying for you, you’ll just have to get used to how other people give critique.

I don’t know which skewed definition of “critique” you’re using, but for the content within this guide, breaking the critique up is done for obvious reasons.

He has good points, he just could learn a lot from the whole read the thing through again and drop useless sentences thing. He's gotten better as he's taken advice from some of the great writer dudes here but there's still a bit more to go for him.

I don’t know where you got the implication that I didn’t proofread or read through anything I submitted for this thread in general. I guess you presume that I type all at once, dump it on a thread, and that’s it. I actually take the time to read through it and filter whatever is superfluous. What you saw for the critique I gave was a much shorter version than I had before. What may be useless sentences for you wasn't necessarily useless sentences for Anonymous.

This is the problem when you imply I never read through things again. As for the great writers, anyone can be a grammar nazi, but it doesn’t qualify them as “Great writers,” however, if you want to believe those few select individuals do fit that spectrum, I guess it’s just a matter of opinion.

__

Also Anonymous, don't worry, people just forget what a critique actually is.

Well I'm glad if you do think that how I wrote something implied I said something I didn't, because that was exactly the entire point of what I'm trying to tell you. Actually experiencing it first hand makes you realize just how easy it is to give a wrong message to others when you write it the wrong way, right?

And I know that you were told about the bold thing. I know it wasn't your idea, you said it and I read it. But I'm talking about the bolds and telling you why they're a bad idea. And that might as well be a general you in case someone else is reading this. Overuse of bolds: a bad idea. Don't do it, who told you to do it doesn't seem like a great writer.

You know what? I treated you in a normal and educated way, not dressing up my words all nice because I thought you could take the honest truth even in a harsh way. So that you could see the error when it's shown to you in an over the top way you did it to prove the point so to speak. I was wrong to treat you as that way it seems, what with you acting like a diva for treating you "like this".

Newsflash, critique doesn't have to be sandwiched between compliments. It doesn't have to be polite or nice. It's supposed to be what you need to hear. It's not a personal attack. If you can't listen then you can't handle critique. What you're asking for is something you wouldn't get in a professional world. It's really harsh out there, you know. Critique takes time and we're wasting our time to help you get better. Not our job to make it all nice so you can feel good about yourself, you need to be getting better. We care about you as a writer or we wouldn't be giving you any tips. It's all done for you.

Edit: Also Linkzelda, not saying you don't read your thing. I'm just saying that you have a way of bloating things still, but it was much worse in the start and it has gotten a lot better. Critique however, isn't meant to take like 6 pages or something. I've seen a lot of critique and gotten tons of it myself, trust me. Haven't ever seen people do it like you do. And I can't say your way of doing things is the greatest despite what you seem to think.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Guest Anonymous

Newsflash, critique doesn't have to be sandwiched between harsh comments and childish mockery either. You can get your points across without telling people that using some kind of bolding implies that they think the readers are idiots (did I get it right now? or are there more subtleties behind those words I'm not aware of?)

You haven't treated me in a normal and educated way, and reading through many of your last posts I've discovered this is not just me being paranoid and egotistical. Your standard of critique is through ridicule, sarcasm, and harshness. It's not that people don't want to hear "the truth" or that they dismiss critiques, the problem is that your critiques are more attacks than advice. Maybe, just maybe... you could, probably, be wrong in some way? Maybe?

And given that you're not going to ever stop to prove yourself right, I'll stop instead. I don't want this thread to be flooded with arguments that go nowhere like others in which you have made an incursion are now. If it makes you happy, you win! I'm a crybaby, I can't take critiques, your ways of criticizing are correct and I just don't want to hear "the ultimate truth" you just wanted to kindly share with me. Sorry!

Or you could just stop seeing everything as an attack and instead realize what's being said. Like that you worded one sentence poorly and that the overuse of bolds was a bad move.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

And that too is a great way to handle critique. Is it now time for the hugbox brigade telling the writer there's nothing wrong when there is? It's just like DeviantArt all over again.

I've been looking for something like this. Thanks for such an informative guide!

"He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Samuel Johnson

And that too is a great way to handle critique. Is it now time for the hugbox brigade telling the writer there's nothing wrong when there is? It's just like DeviantArt all over again.

He has posted a guide that is literally unique to these forums. What if someone else with something that he/she has experience in and can help in the aid of tulpa development?

They see this shit and are afraid of being torn a new asshole if they aren't fluent in the language. You were super fucking angry atbold letters. Do you really think it's beneficial to the already small community to tell them "don't post anything if you're sensitive at all?"

Unique to these forums, perhaps. Unique as a lucid dreaming guide? Well there's tons of lucid dreaming guides out there. If this didn't have the tulpa part then it would have been disapproved altogether.

I think you are missing the point that I'm not even against the things written in the guide and I'm not saying it's a shit guide. My nitpicks were minor, but still things that have to be talked about. The guide is difficult to read. The guide gives a wrong message about the writer. It would be easy to fix and see how I didn't even tell the person to change it? No, I said:

I suggest you to write your next possible guide in another way...

Next possible guide. Because all the bolds are annoying to read. So they would be a better writer and the guide would be easier to read.

No one's talking about language fluency, but if it is a problem, it's our job to tell people about it so we can have good guides that are understood by everyone. Also no one's angry here, and it's not the bolds. Let's take a look.

And speaking of the bolds, when there's so many, the emphasis is lost. I suggest you to write your next possible guide in another way, because this is annoying and either implies you think that we can't get your point because we are idiots, or that you have written your point poorly and it would be impossible for anyone to get the important parts without.

And the response to that was:

I don't know why do you treat me like this. Is it really necessary to be so mean? Am I offending you in some way?

That is what's bad. That is something no serious writer should be doing or saying. It would be very beneficial to the writer to not post anything if they can't handle something that doesn't lick their ass, because they obviously are too sensitive to handle it. In fact, it might be better for them to stop going anywhere where someone might say their opinions, because those might hurt the poor misunderstood unique snowflake. For their own sake, they shouldn't put themselves at harm when they know it's coming. If they didn't, they do now. And if they are serious about writing, they grow a thicker skin. Else they won't make it and should just write guides for themselves. Because that's life.

Also if you call the tulpa community small, you're pretty blind.