Simply imagine what a vivid, detailed visualization would look like.

Ganymede

Question

Title says it all! The folks over at /r/tulpas thought it was great, so I thought I'd share here.

Hoooly shit what the fuck was I thinking? Ok this might work for you, but as I found out, not everyone's brain works the way mine does.

Edited by Ranger
Changed the title because the thread is not bad lol

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together. <3

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I see exactly what you're getting at here. Makes me think that when I find myself straining to visualize things regularly, it's only because I'm over-thinking it, or trying too hard. Haven't been trying this very long (only just stumbled across the thread), but already I notice it working. Almost seems a little too simple, but at the same time it doesn't need to be complicated to work.

"You've got to believe to achieve." -Hank Hill

Uh, I feel like the people who this works for didn't really get the idea of visualisation in the first place.

Well, if it helps, it helps. It's a weird format though. The OP is around so maybe they could make it more presentable? If they did I'd approve for Tips.

Title says it all!

Disapproved until the tip has been formatted to actually fit on a forum. This still isn't Reddit.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Approved, Tips.

I recall talking with Sands before about how he doesn't like approving "Just Do It" guides, but you know what: they work for plenty of people and are perfectly valid. So approved.

To elaborate a bit, sometimes I believe I can't visualize or can't do something in my imagination, and then I recall that I can or could do it, thus just knowing that I can do it and remembering the quality-of-me-doing-it, results in me doing it or being able to do it.

Thus, to put it simply, to do something in your imagination you do it. To visualize vividly, you visualize vividly, or recall what it's like to visualize vividly, which results in you visualizing vividly.

This isn't an useless trick - someone may think they can't visualize and be told to think of *insert description of a scene* which results in them thinking about it and thus them visualizing. At the same time, someone may think their visualizations aren't vivid, and thus because they believe they can't visualize vividly - they don't - while if they did try to recall or think back what a vivid visualization would look like - they would usually succeed in getting one.

The general technique can be extended to any qualia or class-of-qualia one can recall or even think. Sometimes if one is having a lot of trouble, providing some stimuli and recalling that will usually work (by forming a recent memory one can then recall and thus prove to themselves they can also "visualize" it).

No one's saying the tip isn't good and my reason for disapproval isn't what you think it is.

It's not formatted for a forum. This is not Reddit. Writing your post - and in this case, your tip - in the topic itself is unacceptable.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

> godhood

wot

I'll reformat the post at some point, and make it more detailed.

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together. <3