RE: [split] New Community Layout Discussion - From #2856

Purlox

Well, there are many ways to do it, but my idea is that people would ask for a mentor that would guide them through the process of creation and helping them with doubt, what to work on, how to work on something, concentration etc.

I guess it could help. You would have to be really tight on who you put on the available mentor list.

Think Fede. Think Jimmy.

Think wisely.

frt

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god. Lassie as a mentor. Av, don't scare me like that.

If you're going to have a mentors list, it would have to be comprised of people who have a fully imposed tulpa and actually make positive, informative contributions to the site. Seriously, be very careful who gets put on that list.

Let's focus on the matter at hand, shall we?

They don't even need to have a fully imposed tupper. I don't think a fully vocal one is needed either. Of course that would be nice, but if you see a member is a general all round good chap and knows what he's doing then I don't see why you should exclude him based on the fact that his tupper isn't quite ready yet.

frt

Well, think of it like this. I can play guitar. I've only been playing for a short amount of time. Who would be the more qualified teacher, me, who can't even read notation yet, or somebody with a musical degree? It's one thing to see somebody post a question and help them out, it's another to mentor them. For that, experience would be preferable, though you are correct in that it wouldn't be necessary. If somebody was an all around knowledgeable person, then they could, and depending on their knowledge should, be included. I just think that unless we have somebody who can really be trusted to know what they're doing, it could end bad for the person being mentored.

Let's focus on the matter at hand, shall we?

Preferable, yes, but not essential I would say.

I would pick a friend who can play at least one song or has some natural talent to help me, then to get some guy who can play but isn't as friendly.

I would be just as happy with someone with a vocal tupper as I would be with someone who seemed to have their head screwed on right.

That is down to opinion, but in those few cases were it's fukken obvious, I say they should be added to what I think would already be a small, small list.

frt

I think it would be best if we added some way for informative people to be recognised (through a rank system maybe) and let the person that seeks the mentor choose who they want.

Assuming there would be a limited number of mentees for each mentor - one would suffice unless demand was high - you could have a waiting list of volunteer mentors who have yet to be assigned a mentee. A chronological queue, or randomly-assigned pairs would do, but assuming the mentee cared enough to pick their mentor by hand, it wouldn't be overly taxing to take a look at the mentor's thread/post history and decide for themselves, then submit a request for pairing. Ranking mentors by suitability would be time-consuming if done manually, and likely difficult to do automatically; moreover it's probably not a good idea to be ranking members in such a way anyway.

I remember Goldsmith giving some ideas on mentor-status stuff, is that what we're talking about?

I think the problem with the site is a lack of any real system of authority. Sure we have mods, but that isn't what I mean. We have no real acknowledgement of intellectual/knowledge based authority in this community. I think we could set things up to be university style, were the elder members are put into the roles of 'professors' and teach the newcomers via lectures once a week, or specific lesson based forum posts, in which the 'students' can asks questions.

"Professors" should be immediately distinct somehow(maybe marked or have a special icon?), and it should be encouraged to take their word over the word of other newcomers. However, because of this, "professors" should be held to high standards, and be open minded, compassionate, whose primary goal is helping and teaching when on the forums for this- proving their theories and doing experiments should be separate from their professing duties.

We should have a special section of the forums where only Professors can make new threads, and these threads will be heavily moderated, by the very professor who posted it. Professors should not be able to moderate the threads of other Professors. These new threads made by professors in this place should be lessons meant to teach newcomers. Newcomers should post questions and the professor should reply with an answer, or helpful advice.

If a professor thinks a student is exceptional and has proved their knowledge and experience, the professor can nominate this student for a higher role. The current professors make a vote, and if the nominated wins by 2/3 he becomes a Professor too. Otherwise he becomes an Elite.

The system I propose will separate us into three distinctive prestige classes:

Professor

Elite

Newcomer

The purpose of these is not to segregate us, but rather to create a system of social authority, and to ensure that those in a higher position have earned their spot (making the chances that they actually know what they are doing and talking about much more likely, it is also a good way of making sure those of higher authority have more experience with Tulpa, and this site and community in general, making them more fit to be a member of this authority)

Everyone starts out as a newcomer. When they get a nomination from a professor, they become and Elite, and upon passing a vote of professors and winning(2/3), they can also become a professor.

Elite status should also be recognized, and it should be known that an Elite has been acknowledged for his/her skill and knowledge, but isn't on the same level as a Professor, or is otherwise unable/unwilling to teach or take the responsibilities of a Professor.

The IRC, likewise, should only have 3 official tulpa.info affiliated channels:

one for newcomers - open to everyone

one for elites - open to elites and professors only

one for professors - open to professors only

Professors should be encouraged to interact with all levels of IRC to help everyone below them, and to foster inter-connectivity between the prestige classes instead of segregation. Elites should be encouraged to interact and help with the newcomers specifically. The Newcomers are newcomers, we shouldn't impose much responsibility onto them, but they should be expected to have an open mind, to listen, and to learn from those of higher prestige.

Keep in mind that this is all a crazy suggestion. But I really think implementing a system such as this will not only keep some control and authority in here, but it would also promote learning, and it would actually strengthen our community. Responsibility and interaction between 'figures' instead of merely 'individuals' helps promote a sense of community, as it makes it into an group based interaction with a symbol of the community itself, and creates a community relationship, instead of just a personal relationship.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

I take serious issue with one thing there: 'newcomer'. I don't think that it's good to label the majority of the community as, essentially, 'newfags'. A simple 'member' or even 'student' would be far better, more inclusive, and less derogatory.

I remember Goldsmith giving some ideas on mentor-status stuff, is that what we're talking about?

Interesting i think a system like that can be very useful; right now, newcomers only have post counts and date joined to gauge the validity of any information a member may post. and I do agree that if we adopt such a system then We should not call Newcomers "newcomers" just "members"

and perhaps we can change "elites" to simply "experts", people that have helped and have knowlege with tulpae.

and "professors" sounds just fine to me.

I do not believe that mods should be linked to this system. meaning it's possible to be a mod at any level.

I wonder when the new layout would be ready,

hopefully before the world ends.

pix: Link

Diary: http://ponystasha.tumblr.com

Koomer.