RE: [split] New Community Layout Discussion - From #2856

Purlox

From what I can tell, Mentors should be what waffles suggested (quote bellow) and Professors would be knowledgeable people that possibly also (I'm not sure if it should be necessary part of being a Professor) help people in general threads they make, rather than just few specific people like Mentors would.

Mentors:

You can be a mentor if you want, no restrictions. Someone looking for a mentor would be randomly allotted one. If they didn't like it, then they could opt to get another one instead, and both people would return to their respective queues. In terms of enforcement, there would be a system register somewhere that stores who's paired with who, but communication between the two would likely consist of PMs or emails. The allocation is just for convenience, but would likely not allow for more than one or two mentees per mentor, and vice versa.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we need professors at all, if they are going to be doing a different job to mentors.

We don't need more people to tell us how to post and manage threads, we have mods for that. Plus professors would only stifle grow and diversity amoung the people here. If someone wants to try posting or saying something a bit different, are they going to be told that it won't work or it doesn't make sense so it shouldn't be put up?

If we have truly knowledgeable people here, why do we feel the need to give them an official title and some powers? Surely if they are that wise and experienced people would listen to them now anyway?

I am on board with waffles' last description of a mentor, but I don't see why we need professors.

frt

Every member is a professor at some point. A rather pointless title indeed.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

If I may add to the "mind section" I recently read an article about "mental Time travel" Somehow it has some scientific research done on it. Its called chronesthesia. I think it would be neat if we added that.

"The Question is not who is going to let me, its who is going to stop me"~ Ayn Rand

I don't think we need professors at all, if they are going to be doing a different job to mentors.

Can you explain your logic here?

We don't need more people to tell us how to post and manage threads, we have mods for that.

That's not what they would be doing.

Plus professors would only stifle grow and diversity amoung the people here. If someone wants to try posting or saying something a bit different, are they going to be told that it won't work or it doesn't make sense so it shouldn't be put up?

Can you explain why you think this would happen?

If we have truly knowledgeable people here, why do we feel the need to give them an official title and some powers? Surely if they are that wise and experienced people would listen to them now anyway?

Because it encourages making informed and intelligent posts and makes people that are knowledgeable easy for newcomers to find.

If I may add to the "mind section" I recently read an article about "mental Time travel" Somehow it has some scientific research done on it. Its called chronesthesia. I think it would be neat if we added that.

There doesn't need to be a subsection for everything in the Mind section. You can discuss stuff that doesn't have its own subsection in the general section.

Mental time travel refers to thinking about the past - through episodic memory - or the future - through 'future memory', which is just experiencing a hypothetical situation as a memory. Anyone can do it - and do it all the time. It's not actual time travel; the name is misleading. It definitely doesn't need its own section on this forum.

I was under the impression that professors would be like mentors, but for everyone. Like the go-to guys if you have any sort of tulpa related problem. Whereas mentors would give you tips and things when you asked, professors would answer questions and help out new members.

I was saying I don't think we need anyone to do that, and we certainly don't need a new title or job to give to people. Also who would be picking these professors?

I think it would stifle the community's growth because right now, people just join up and start basically investigating, making new discoveries and finding things out. Of course, most of it's bullshit and already been done by nearly everyone, but that's beside the point.

If you assign some people to watch over all the new members and direct them -in any way- would be a mistake. It takes the whole "your own tulpa adventure" thing away.

Unless that's not what professors are going to be about now.

That's not what they would be doing.

Care to actually tell me what they would be doing instead of just telling me what they won't?

frt

• 1 month later...

Added:

• Wonderland/Mindscape discussion

Oh come on, does it really need its own board?

Look, truth be told, there's not too much harm in making a load of small boards, but I can't help but feel that you may be adding too many boards. And I'm surprised I didn't mention this earlier, but look:

• Last I checked, this is tulpa.info; key word 'tulpa'. Do you really need a whole section each for 'mind', 'philosophy' and 'spirituality'? Why not just have a 'philosophy general' in OT? What about the 'art' section in OT? Why? There are so many art forums on the Internet, so why would you feel the need to make another one here?

• Mindscape discussion? Really? What's going to go in General Discussion if every topic has its own board? Do you really see the need to give everything its own board? Do you really feel that wonderland discussion is cluttering GD? Same goes for 'Art' and 'Fics' - why have two separate boards when there's a creative writing topic in Art that's fine?

• What's the difference between 'general' off-topic and 'serious' off-topic? If there's already 'stupid' off-topic, then why have a third?

I agree with waffles. There isn't even anything hard about making a wonderland. You just imagine. If you desperately need a board that houses all possible information and help on this subject, then you should be questioning how you even made it here in the first place. What is there even to discuss about the topic?

"This is my wonderland, take a look"

"What are your wonderlands like?"

"Do you use a wonderland? Why not?"

I can't think of anything else. It's a redundant board. May as well add a Tulpa dress sense/fashion board.

I don't mind there being a meta board and an art board. For me, both these subjects are related enough to not be fit for OT, but unrelated enough to demand their own board, since they are quite popular too, I don't have an issue with these.

Mindscape discussion is going into meta when you go to discuss it deeper I think. Is this new board going to be a subsection of the meta board? Ho boy, I can't wait to watch it grow and eventually overtake tulpa discussion.

Where was this idea even discussed, creating a wonderland board?

frt