RE: [split] New Community Layout Discussion - From #2856

Purlox

I agree that the Mindscape board is not really necessary, because it won't get enough attention, so I made it a subboard of GD for now at least.

"Mind", "Philosophy" and "Spirituality" are partly related to tulpas, so I don't see why we should make them into OT boards. If someone wants to post their Art here, then why not? People already do so with tulpa related art and you could also tell them to go to some art board instead, but if we want to also build a community, then I don't see why they shouldn't be able to post it here.

I already explained why "Art" and "Fics" are separate boards in Google docs. If you want to know why, then you could read the explanation.

"Serious OT" is supposed to have serious discussions about e.g. Math, Physics, Politics, Religion etc.

Normal OT is supposed to have random stuff that doesn't qualify for the "Absurdity" board, so e.g. "My dad drew me this great picture" or "What did you have for dinner?" or "Post your favourite cosplay" etc.

"Absurdity" is supposed to have the worst level of "discussions", like this or this.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The different kinds of OT makes sense, but again, why do they need to be broken up into different categories anyway?

I can see that they can be broken up, but why do they need to be?

"Mind", "Philosophy" and "Spirituality" are not "Tulpae", therefore they are OT.

Saying they aren't OT is like saying a car dealership should be able to sell houses too because it's still about selling something to someone.

frt

-Why even bother making a sub-board? How much wonderland discussion do you see? There's a 'draw your wonderland' thread in Art, and probably a few old threads in GD, but in my mind it's just another topic worthy of GD.

-'Mind', 'Philosophy' and 'Spirituality' are fairly niche, even here. You could make one board, rather than the eight that you have slated. The point about unrelated things is that this isn't an art forum. Do you plan on adding services for discussion of everything? It's like you're having an identity crisis on behalf of the staff by 'branching out' into non-tulpa subjects on tulpa.info.

-Take a look at the Art section. I see seven writing topics over the course of six months or so. Does that warrant its own board? It's not that hard to find fics either, given that there are just over two pages in the entire board. If you really wanted, you could add '[Writing]' tags, but I don't think another board is warranted.

-You really expect serious discussion to go on here? If it was wanted then it would have happened.

The main point is that none of the boards here are overflowing as it is, and none can really complain of clutter. The 'community' here is here for the tulpas, and not for off-topic art or history discussion (?). You see the need for boards that aren't needed. Why don't you open a 'Board Suggestion' topic and get a staff member to sticky it and add boards based on demand, rather than whatever you can think of.

DV (Dreamviews) is about lucid dreaming, but they also have a tulpa subsection, like how we have a meta board. That's good, because they are two different things, with tulpa threads taking up about 20-30% of all posts, excluding OT posts in their OT section.

Now, here, it's the other way around. 80% of all posts are tulpa related, 20% are Art threads, writing threads, meta threads.

Why are you saying we need to divide up that 20%? To be fair, including the meta board it is more like 30-35%, but still. If you divide it up like you are saying you plan to, then we will end up with more sections that threads. It will actually make it HARDER to find threads, as you will have to sift through all the different sections, instead of a few pages in one section.

frt

Making Wonderland discussion sub-board might be unnecessary, but we will see.

The OT should be devided into different boards, because it's going to be easier to find a topic that you would like to post in and it's also going to make it possible to hide the Absurdity board without hiding the Serious OT, etc.

"Mind", "Philosophy" and "Spirituality" are not "Tulpae", therefore they are OT.

Saying they aren't OT is like saying a car dealership should be able to sell houses too because it's still about selling something to someone.

Wonderlands also aren't tulpae, I could argue same goes to some other things as well and yet they are not considered OT, because they are relevant and can help you in many ways. Mind board could yield helpful techniques and other stuff like wonderlands are. The other two sections offer alternative ways of looking at tulpae among other things. So I don't see why they should be part of OT.

-'Mind', 'Philosophy' and 'Spirituality' are fairly niche, even here. You could make one board, rather than the eight that you have slated.

If you want to discuss why they should be in the same board, then you should probably go here.

The point about unrelated things is that this isn't an art forum. Do you plan on adding services for discussion of everything? It's like you're having an identity crisis on behalf of the staff by 'branching out' into non-tulpa subjects on tulpa.info.

There are art sections on many forums because some people like to share their art on the forum they like to go to and I don't see why they shouldn't be able to. And I don't plan to branch out to every subject, if you think so, then you are probably missing my point.

-Take a look at the Art section. I see seven writing topics over the course of six months or so. Does that warrant its own board? It's not that hard to find fics either, given that there are just over two pages in the entire board. If you really wanted, you could add '[Writing]' tags, but I don't think another board is warranted.

When the forum is going to grow, then there will be more fics and why not make it easier for people to find them now when we are making an overhaul of boards instead of later?

-You really expect serious discussion to go on here? If it was wanted then it would have happened.

I do. If people wanted serious discussion now, then they could have easily feared that it would get drown and ignored in the huge amount of random OT threads.

The main point is that none of the boards here are overflowing as it is, and none can really complain of clutter. The 'community' here is here for the tulpas, and not for off-topic art or history discussion (?). You see the need for boards that aren't needed. Why don't you open a 'Board Suggestion' topic and get a staff member to sticky it and add boards based on demand, rather than whatever you can think of.

The point is not that we need it because boards are overflowing, we need it to make it easier for people to find a thread they are looking for.

We could be reactive, but I see no point in not being proactive instead, especially when soon there will be redesign of the whole site, so it seems fitting to make changes to the layout of the boards now.

DV (Dreamviews) is about lucid dreaming, but they also have a tulpa subsection, like how we have a meta board. That's good, because they are two different things, with tulpa threads taking up about 20-30% of all posts, excluding OT posts in their OT section.

Now, here, it's the other way around. 80% of all posts are tulpa related, 20% are Art threads, writing threads, meta threads.

Why are you saying we need to divide up that 20%? To be fair, including the meta board it is more like 30-35%, but still. If you divide it up like you are saying you plan to, then we will end up with more sections that threads. It will actually make it HARDER to find threads, as you will have to sift through all the different sections, instead of a few pages in one section.

Can you explain how it will make it harder to find threads?

Because you remember there being this one thread that was about something, but it really could be in seven different forum boards so you have to go through all of them to find your thread if you don't remember where it was posted or the keywords. Even now with what we have I can sometimes get confused where something was posted, so I have to look through all the boards to find what I was looking for. Certainly don't want any more boards to go through when that happens. Too many boards make shit look cluttered and there's too many clicks involved, also makes me think that whoever made all those boards is expecting way too much, sort of like a new MMO having tons of servers no one uses. Make new boards when there is a need, don't create them before a need. Otherwise they will be bare and look bad. And useless.

Not to mention how many posts there would be that are posted in the wrong board, making everything even more confusing.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

I have to agree with waffles and Avalanche that this overdiversification seems like a pointless waste of time and division of resources. You could argue that literally anything is "partly related to tulpas", but with that attitude you'll soon be adding boards for everything. Only things directly related to tulpas should be the focus here. We're not a huge forum; we really don't need that many subsections.

Also I find the earlier mentioned notions of "ranks" absolutely ridiculous. The only authority in a phenomenon like this should be aggregate knowledge and one's own discovery. If we actually start having "professors" choosing people for their exclusive elite circle on the mountaintop I will laugh my way out the door and not look back.

Astral project on my face, brother!

Such threads can happen, but I think it will be a small minority, because it's not that often that a thread can belong to multiple boards and that won't increase much after the changes to the board layout.

As far as I know, tulpa.info should end up being big site and so we are preparing for it and dividing boards into more specific boards, so that threads are more separated depending on what they are about. Preparing for the future seems like a good idea instead of waiting until it is needed and then taking some time to do it, while there might be already other things the admins are working on at that time.

That's true, but, while you can make new boards in preparation, you are also influencing the site's growth in that direction. If we add more boards to cater for meta, then more people will post meta, and so on.

If we clearly need more boards for a tulpa-related topic, then I would approve in adding a board before the current ones get filled up. Just don't add boards for what /you/ think will be needed or what /you/ want. Or what anyone wants.

frt