RE: [split] New Community Layout Discussion - From #2856

Purlox

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been suggested to me that Tulpa.info could have a mentors thread like Reddit has. Anyone interested in being a mentor, or think such a thread would be a good idea?

I definitely think that's a good idea. I am awful at everything; I can't be a mentor. I'll probably have the person create Satan himself, who will bring about doomsday for the Earth, meanwhile I'm just sitting behind a computer screen feeling sorry that I even signed up. ^_^

One Tulpa:

Name: Yuki

Physical appearance: Similar to Winry from Fullmetal Alchemist

Date of Creation: 16th September, 2013

It has been suggested to me that Tulpa.info could have a mentors thread like Reddit has. Anyone interested in being a mentor, or think such a thread would be a good idea?

Not a bad idea. However, someone becoming a "mentor" sounds like a more or less revered task, and if a mentor is going to be even slightly more influential regarding the common consensuses of the community (definitions, glossary, concepts, anything), it sounds like it would need to be foolproof against talentless and/or freeriding hacks.

That said, it does sound completely fine if it remains unglorified volunteer work with the purpose of helping individuals and doesn't create a "mentor for hire look at my mentoring CV and my streak of successful apprenticeships"-karma market built on having lots of followers. I don't believe that's the goal here, but it could be an unintended consequence.

tell the rapper what i'm gonna do with all this money

Hmm, more like advising rather than telling and helping keep your motivation when you /want/ to keep track, but don't do it, I'd think.

My lip hurts.

• 3 months later...

Hmm. As long as certain criteria of a standard mentor is met, this should go well. And that the trainee is aware that advice is great from time to time, but making their own methods and discoveries is very important to development.

As long as there's a "How to be a trainee" thread, and perhaps a way to ensure that the mentor is capable enough. Maybe like a 20 question quiz on mentoring or something. The subjectivity of meeting the good mentor criteria is going to be problematic. Not too sure about taking a quiz, but this is just off the top of my head.

Post deleted, as requested.

However, I don't see what your reason was; the idea is still up for debate, and your input may have been useful.

Keep in mind you can request that your post be restored, at any time.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."