Forum has been upgraded!

Pleeb

So apparently when logged off, the nameboxes are above the posts.

I'll look into fixing that ASAP.

Also, why keep the thread ratings anyway?

Because the stars look cool and people will be able to get an idea of what could be good and what could be BS.

NAO GO FIVE-STAR THIS THREAD!

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But this is a good thread, and I just clicked one star. Coupled with the attached names, what's to stop a dedicated group of people from voting down all topics from a certain person, or just voting down all topics? It can't be trusted.

Also, what's your stance on changing "Today" and "Yesterday" to the actual dates?

EDIT: And now I can't change my vote. If someone made a mistake, they can't fix it. Personally, I am just going to ignore the ratings, but they are still present and still can be annoying and distracting.

EDIT2: Also another gripe that will probably go unnoticed is that the current black on light grey is uncomfortable to read. Looking back at the old forums, they were more eye-friendly. More opinions form different people should be taken into account before doing something concerning this.

EDIT3: .gif files can have transparent parts. I say this because: http://i.imgur.com/KURo9.png

[Note: Opinions]

But this is a good thread, and I just clicked one star. Coupled with the attached names, what's to stop a dedicated group of people from voting down all topics from a certain person, or just voting down all topics? It can't be trusted.

I also clicked one star on my topic for the hell of it after making that post. It's all in good fun and doesn't really matter to me anyway, I just like the cool icons I put next to it.

Also, what's your stance on changing "Today" and "Yesterday" to the actual dates?

Sorry, I thought I replied to that. I think it should be actual dates, and I'll look into what to do to fix that after I solve the problem with guests seeing the users on the top.

EDIT: And now I can't change my vote. If someone made a mistake, they can't fix it. Personally, I am just going to ignore the ratings, but they are still present and still can be annoying and distracting.

I'll request a plugin that will allow users to disable it on their end, and if nobody can create it, I'll see if I can program it in myself. This way those who are bothered so much by a rating system can disable it.

EDIT2: Also another gripe that will probably go unnoticed is that the current black on light grey is uncomfortable to read. Looking back at the old forums, they were more eye-friendly.

It's not going unnotcied; I just don't have a good eye for contrasts:

The colors are slightly different in this scheme than in the old one, and the background is a lot lighter now. I figured the black text contrasted well, at least it does on my monitor.

Does anyone with a better eye for color than myself have a suggestion for what would be a good color for text?

However, I'll ask around to some other people I know, see if I can find a good text color if nobody on the forums has a suggestion.

More opinions form different people should be taken into account before doing something concerning this.

The old forum had several bugs that would have never gotten fixed, downtime, and a growing database that I would have had to pay for if I wanted a copy of or wanted a backup.

The switch to the new software came from me taking everyone's complaints about the issues we were dealiing with (espcially the Latest Replies/Mark as Read problems the older forums had).

For everything else (the theme, etc), I'm very open to everyone's opinions (see Reply#39, or just see most of the topics on these forums) to the point where I actually paid almost $100 for a dedicated server to host tulpa.info, converted the site from XHTML to HTML, and created an entire template with images, folder icons, smileys, etc, from almost nothing.

EDIT3: .gif files can have transparent parts. I say this because: http://i.imgur.com/KURo9.png

I know gif files can be transparent, refer to these images I made (and a few were made yesterday):

dot_newhotfolder.gif, folder.gif, postbit_find.gif, exclamation.gif, postbit_www.gif.

The problem with those two icons is that when they were made, it ended up having no transparency. I tried several times yesterday to manually edit out the background color, but to no avail -- the images don't look the same as they did due to some bluring having to be removed.

Take a look at that screenshot and you'll notice a third "Forum is Locked" button that also looks out of place; I'm still not sure what to do with that either. I'm probably going to just made a different transparent on/off for the bottom, or remove the legiend altogether.

I'm heading out right now, but I'll try to fix the things mentioned above when I get home.

Spoiler

"Yesterday" and "Today" have been changed to the actual dates. Who knew it was a simple PHP edit? The view should be fixed for guests, as well.

I also made a request for disabling the rating system on a per-user basis, and in the meantime I'm going to go back to finishing the images.

Spoiler

Which color do you guys like better (I like offset 3, maybe 4):

Pure White

Offset 01

Offset 02

Offset 03

Offset 04

Offset 05

Offset 06

Offset 07

Offset 08

Offset 09

Offset 10

Offset 11

Offset 12

Offset 13

Offset 14

Offset 15

Spoiler

I have it set to 3 atm, I'll leave this up in another hour to see what everyone else has to say, then I'll change it to 2.

Spoiler

Offset 15. Either leave the text white and do a darker background or leave the background and make it offset 15. I need that snazzy high contrast in my life.