Establishing Rules For You Tulpa

Kendall

So I'm wondering when creating your Tulpas did any of you bother to discuss 'rules' with them. Does and don'ts and such.

The idea came to me when I opted to give Sebastian the ability to destroy/shoo away intrusive thoughts while we were talking. His preferred method of doing this is taking a rifle to whatever I'm thinking (figuratively speaking) he puts the image in my head of him shooting whatever the thought is with his sniper rifle.

I laid down the law that he isn't allowed to do this to me unless we are actually engaged in conversation and my mind wanders. Then along he came today out of nowhere and did it. I didn't mind so much because I was thinking depressive thoughts (I suffer pretty severe depression but take meds and see a therapist weekly so I am getting help so no worries <3)

Out of no where there was the image of myself with a blade in my hand cutting myself, him, looking through his scope at me then BAM shooting the blade out of my hand and a firm voice telling me, "Not an option Soldier, not an option."

When it comes to him protecting me from myself in this manner I'm willing to give him all the leniency in the world but it still made me wonder what other rules people had established with there tuppers and how much success they had.

Sebastian Moran

Form: Human

Literal Birthday: March 1st, 2014

Working On: Vocality

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved to General Discussion.

I never set any sort of "rules" with my tulpa; but I did ask that he stay out of my memories. Come to think of it, I asked this of him quite a long time ago--who knows whether he's restrained himself all this time.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Thanks for moving it, forgot about the general discussion board! :)

Never gave much thought about restricting access to my memories. I knew you could, saw it in the guides and such but I just wanted Seb to know me without me having to explain all of the hard stuff.

Sebastian Moran

Though I allowed Shira access to my memories, I did restrict her from looking in to my dreams as they have a tendency to be horrifying and a bad representation of myself as a person. Other than that, I don't think I laid down any other 'rules'. I don't believe it fair for me to have free reign but not her.

I might have set "rules" in the beginning that I can't remember now, but now that they are independent and all, we are able to have actual conversation and dialogue about things rather than just set rules like they are little kids. They know what is not kind to mess with and I do the same for them. If anyone steps on each other's toes and does something the other doesn't like, we talk about it. I never prevented them from seeing any memories or dreams, because I always considered them to be on the same maturity level as me. They are also able to know what type of memory is there before fully experiencing it, so it's not too hard to not look if they couldn't handle seeing a bad dream or sad memory. But life happens and life is full of the bad with the good, and that's something we think we face best together rather than one of us taking the brunt of it all.

I was always under the impression that it was bad to hide things from your tupper.

While I too had heard about that, we had made the decision together that Shira wouldn't venture to my dreams. I suppose its not really even a rule, we just figured that there was no reason for her to see the dreams that misrepresent me.

Establishing rules for your tulpa (in a seemingly militant way) is like making self-referential constraints for the sake of easing your conscience that the totality of what goes on in your mind, and your perception of reality won’t go into self-sabotaging mode.

It would become difficult to set rules for your tulpa when circumstances are bound to challenge them. As for the whole “accessing memories” aspect, seems kind of equivalent of stagnating progress if one’s willing to go through a self-fulfilling prophecy for their tulpas to not utilize pre-existing knowledge as a supplement to development.

But hey, there’s no right or wrong into this, but a bit of common sense can go a long way.

Who guys these are some great opinions!

Sebastian would like me to point out that you can't 'rape the willing,' and he is oh so willing. Now I'm blushing.

I would like to hope that you don't actually molest your tupper against its will but I suppose it is your subconscious to abuse, so have fun!

Another reason I didn't bother with restricting memory access, I just couldn't see how to do it. He is there in my head, a separate consciousness but still of my own making. I couldn't see how he couldn't not get into my memory. Maybe that's just part of being so open about it though.

We did discuss a few other rules after posting this, one being that he isn't allowed to cause harm to anyone, including me and himself. I put this down for a few reasons, he does have an aggressive streak and I suffer from thoughts of self-harm that I worry about leeching onto him.

His response was a sort of, "Duh but if it makes you feel better to have it in writing then go for it."

Also he has a military background so he's not above issuing orders to me but I put out that I only ever want him to do it in a friendly joking manner unless I'm in a situation that requires more force. (ie. working out or hurting myself) I asked this of him because I have a history with people telling/ordering me what to do that upsets me and I don't want him to do something that comes natural to him and upset me by accident.

I understand that these rules may be broken down the line and I wont hold it against him. Unless he somehow hurts someone, then I will but I don't really believe he has the power to do that unless I give it to him.

Anyway, I was't trying to treat him as a child more just setting boundaries like you would with a roommate.

Sebastian Moran

there was no reason for her to see the dreams that misrepresent me.

How can a dream misrepresent you when it's a window into your naked subconscious? [Genuine, not rhetorical, question.]

I have never explored or implemented any restrictions with my intrinsic tulpas. Requests and boundaries have been discussed roughly equally, but I'm more often on the receiving end.

The doppelgeist tulpas (for want of a better term) sometimes require far stronger boundaries and even blockades, but I'm no more willing to force strict rules on them than I am with corporal adult humans.