How does Tulpa survive?

By what I've seen and experienced, tulpa thrive off of attention and thoughts about them. Breeze loves chugging Mountain Dew, but she doesn't actually need it to live. (Or even should have it in the first place.) Breeze also claims anything that strengthens my mind also strengthens her, which makes perfect sense to me.

Since they are concepts, yes they do feed on attention. For them to be healthy is for them to be at the front of your thoughts, lest they wither away (which is commonly represented as them getting sleepy a lot). Eventually, like any idea, they'll simply cease to exist. Of course all it takes to revive them is to just remember them. They're pretty much like sponges.

You can substitute this for virgin blood if you've got a low attention span.

Scarlet - anime, 8/15/2012

As the others have said, they survive based on attention. They require no sustenance such as food--imaginary or not.

It is debated whether they need sleep. But when I say "need", it's more about whether it's inevitable, not whether they'd die if they didn't sleep. Though I guess it's the same for hosts.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."