Nickname badges

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello all,

I have been wondering for a while what people think about nickname "badges" on the IRC channels. For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, I have a few examples below.

Nibi[Twi|Quora}`Ash`
Metal[serena]
Luna[Mon]

The "badge" is the secondary part of the nickname and is used to signify which member of the system is speaking. Such that:

[Hey there]

actually means

Twi is part of Nibi's system
Hey there

What are your thoughts on these? I personally do not care and believe that users should choose the proxying system that works best for them, be it multiple clients, nick-badging or prefixing.

It doesn't matter to me. These days I just proxy by something like,

Chess\ 'Ello gov'na!

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

Guest Anonymous

It seems there's been a lot of debate on this lately.

So far as I am concerned, there really is no issue with badges. The issue seems to have become a minor annoyance when you have things like

HostNick[F]{K}/S/|G|-X-
Where nobody has any idea who the person is that's speaking. However, I don't see this as anything more than a minor annoyance.

The other minor annoyance is lengthy names with multiple tulpas, like

Host[TulpaA]{TulpaB}|TulpaC|

In my opinion, i'd just let people express their own way of doing it. I've only seen a small number of people have trouble with it -- Not that their opinions are invalid, they are not -- But I feel the issue is not one that requires moderation, and just let people represent themselves how they wish to do so.

I see small issue with it. Though, like Metallica said, it becomes a bit of an annoyance when they're using 50 different tulpas and badges. Though, from what I've seen, few are complaining and though they have a valid reason to be annoyed, they are in the minority compared to those of us who use them/don't care.

I only have problems with the badge shit if the tulpa isn't actively speaking and they're just keeping the badge on for the hell of it (because some people tend to leave all of their badges on when it's just one person talking, and it stretches my chat a bit) or if the tulpa isn't able to speak but the host keeps the badge on anyway.

And like Metallica said, letter badges are annoying, especially when you have multiple badges with the same damn letter in them.

Be sure to look back at this thread, too.

It's annoying. I don't see the issue with it. When it gets beyond two badges, letters or not, it gets ugly to look at, kinda annoying, . Often, two full-name badges are also just too long.

Beyond that, it also screws up some clients, tab-completing someone's name when it has three-four badges on it just kinda looks dumb if you're only talking to one of them, and it can be confusing for people who don't know the nicks behind the little letters, if it's just that - which is necessary for any more than two badges, generally for any more than a single badge.

If you, like me, think is is unfair for Pleeb to pay all the site costs alone, please consider making a private grant to tulpa.info

>Resig if you agree!

Guest Anonymous

I thought it would only be fair to give my system's view on all this name badging stuff. Simply put, our system does not give a damn about it. We do not care and want to allow it without restriction. We believe that the real "problem" is badly configured nick alignment, and can be fixed with client scripts that limit it.

On our clients we have an alignment of 10 characters as maximum. Any nickname longer than 9 characters (including the channel prefix) will be truncated as such:

DreamWalke+| *shrugs* they do it at a hospital but it was sticky like glue..

The truncated nick is DreamWalker.

The problem about people using nickname badges for tulpas that either aren't vocal or aren't speaking at that time is valid, but frankly we would prefer to err on the side of permissive when making channel rules.

(because some people tend to leave all of their badges on when it's just one person talking, and it stretches my chat a bit)

How to fix hexchat:

(sacarasc) Xe: /set text_max_indent X
(sacarasc) X is the max number of pixels to indent.

The issue seems to have become a minor annoyance when you have things like

HostNick[F]{K}/S/|G|-X-

Where nobody has any idea who the person is that's speaking. However, I don't see this as anything more than a minor annoyance.

And like Metallica said, letter badges are annoying, especially when you have multiple badges with the same letter in them.

it can be confusing for people who don't know the nicks behind the little letters

That is indeed annoying, and could probably be handled by some policy, we are just hesitant to add unneeded restrictions to everyone when designing channel policies. If you can understand the room we are catering these rules to is for all communities and people. A sizable portion of the community likes nickname badges.

My only complaint is that it makes a username annoying and difficult to read if there are many (like 4 or more) tulpas and multiple types of delimiters, especially if you're a chatty cathy. I think it would be preferable to put everyone in the 'real name' field on IRC so people can whois for the information if it is desired instead of attaching it to every single message, but I certainly wouldn't try to enforce it.

We are working on making a web client for IRC that allows you to set the "real name"/gecos field. Most web clients do not do this.

To be frank, the assertion that my (or any) tulpa is an attention whore because she would prefer to use her name alongside mine -- The one her friends know her by -- is arrogant, offensive, and demeaning. Should everyone use generic usernames too then. How about we all use the default tulpamancer|????? with random numbers and never really know who anyone is? I don't think many would

be happy with that solution.

it also [messes] up some clients

Which ones?

>Which ones?

Only one I know of is xchat/hexchat. Nice solution to that one. I didn't know about setting the max indent, so I just turned off indenting in the options.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Noobfag here with a really stupid question: Why are badges banned on the forum but for the most part tolerated, and even encouraged over on the IRC?

On the IRC, they can provide information on who's there and who's currently available to chat. This can be updated at any time with the /nick command. It also tells people who's speaking [in the brackets], which can be a simple way to indicate this when rapidly typing line after line. --although I prefer and encourage using the tulpa's name or initial and a \ or / at the start of the line.

On the forum, posts are persistent, so there's no need to tell which tulpas are awake and not busy at the moment. Changing your name on the forum involves requesting an admin edit your account, so people change names much less often. In a medium where multiple paragraphs are typically typed up in one go, it's not so much of a chore to use a name prefix or TulpaName says: "...". Besides, there's already a spot right below your username where you can put tulpa names if you like, or use your sig.

Also, set your theme to one of the ones that shows poster names and pictures to the left of posts, make your browser window a bit narrow if you have a large screen, and find a post by someone with a long name like you get when you put a badge. It looks something like this:

tTRdITy.png

Kinda ugly, right?

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)