[Game] Last one to post wins!

Pleeb

I recently heard of a podcast called "cult or just weird", and they had a 2 part episode on tulpas. it seemed like they did a lot of research and were genuinely curious about tulpamancy. they really made a good attempt at learning about tulpamancy, but there were a few very important things about tulpamancy that they fundamentally misunderstood that made them approach a lot of other aspects of tulpamancy from the wrong angle. I might write them an email since it seemed like they were actually interested in it.

their misinformation was not as bad as most other things that I've seen, but I just got to thinking about how despite seeing probably just about every semi mainstream work on western non occultist tulpamancy, I haven't seen a single one that wasn't made by a tulpamancer that I thought accurately portrayed what tulpamancy is like

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

• Replies 152.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, those researchers - actually, it's the same people doing the Stanford study, huh? - I saw talking to Michael (Vsauce) were doing a pretty alright job, though they didn't talk about tulpamancers for long. But yes, Tulpa.info remains the one place I'm totally confident in giving a decent impression to curious people. From the subreddit to random discord servers to far worse places like image boards (chans) and sub-communities on like Tumblr, I don't have very high hopes anyone going into researching tulpas will come out with a good opinion.

But hey, that's also fair, isn't it? If it's so easy to get misinformation, maybe we just don't represent enough of Tulpamancy to be talking about it as a whole. Sucks to think, and we should definitely work to increase our representation, but just food for thought that maybe people aren't necessarily "Wrong" if they get a different impression than we at Tulpa.info would want to give

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

the two most fundamental misunderstandings that they had were that

1. they didn't understand that a tulpa is not generally believed to be inherently any different from a host

2. there are many different tulpamancy groups that hold many different beliefs

r/tulpas is currently the largest single tulpa space, but it only holds a plurality of the population, so it is not right to say just look there and think you know what tulpamancers are like. also, when you look at parts of two different sets of ideas thinking that they are just one set, you won't end up understanding either sets of ideas.

when they talked on vsauce it was alright, but it wasn't a thing about tulpas, they just mentioned tulpas. they weren't trying to go in depth so they were able to avoid a lot of pitfalls

Edited by Breloomancer

-Me

Oh yeah, I've not heard anyone talk about tulpas in-depth particularly well. Even a lot of tulpamancers have done it kind of poorly. I stay away from the amazon books and stuff people sometimes say they wrote just because I'm afraid I'll hate what I read

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I've been thinking about making nice share-able index-card sized graphics about tulpamancy, but omg, 1) would I get ripped apart in-community? 2) How could I avoid pitfalls and weird holes? 3) Anything fitting on an index card is going to be reductionist as hell. And I know people will want to know, how are tulpas made? I don't want an index-card sized graphic being what people are trying to make a tulpa off of. I don't want people sharing a set of 5 graphics and going, "Let's make tulpas." 

Maybe some things should be hidden, should be only found in longer papers. We don't make quickstart guides for-

You know, I thought about that for a second and couldn't think of anything that I wouldn't be able to find a quickstart guide for.

You could be clever with a "How Tulpas Are Created" and say stuff like "Tulpamancers use meditative techniques" without going into detail about wtf you're meant to do. -J

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

you don't have to cover all of tulpamancy with the cards, just cover whatever you think that you can without leaving out important stuff.

you don't make quickstart guides for heart surgery, though that's not really like tulpamancy

-Me