• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The concept of "subjective reality" as Steve teaches it is pretty powerful, but he does go overboard in some of the articles acting like you could do literally anything. Maybe he's a little crazy, or maybe he's just trying to really prove a point, because the way the average person says "You have a bit of control over how you see reality" is usually entirely missing the mark. Maybe Steve is too in some of his articles, lol, but regardless I learned the most powerful ways of thinking I know from him (and a couple other places saying roughly the same things).

The most important thing I ever realized was that how I think about things, was not the only way that makes sense. My entire mindset could change and I wouldn't have to be "wrong" in any ways compared to how I thought at the time, our "subjective realities" are just that malleable. In fact, I also realized (though it's hard to really process) that most people see and think of the world completely differently than everyone else. Physically/on an objective level things remain the same, but what you don't realize is how much your perception of reality isn't objective. There are so many little things (and big things) affecting the objective information between the world and your conscious perception of it.

The easiest example I can give, out of surely infinite, is the way you may look at a game you feel strong nostalgia for, compared to someone seeing it for the first time. The difference in your subjective reality and others' realities/consensual reality is so incredibly obvious in these cases that (usually lol) you can straight up see it - that how you see and think about it is simply disconnected from someone else's view. To sometimes smaller, sometimes bigger extents, that concept exists in infinitely many ways for any given person. From how they think about a place or person to how they think about the world, the intentions of others, morality or anything else, people are all seeing and thinking about the exact same things totally differently.

That's what subjective reality is to me. Steve did teach me that, and then he went on to get kind of crazy with it, which is why despite all my talking about the concept I never really link to his articles on it lol.

Anyways, the way I used this above all else was to allow myself to change my own ways of thinking about things (that's probably another skill altogether, but this concept kind of enables it to work more efficiently), shaping my mindset and beliefs and all into what I wanted them to be. Namely, far more positive and productive, enjoying simply existing and appreciating human experience. I was rather cynical (definitely felt the opposite of all those things) and depressed in my early teens, and only Reisen and.. actually Erin Pavlina but also Steve Pavlina to some extent, in conjunction were able to convince me I could and should change.

Though it's not like everything either of them says is gospel. Erin is a professional psychic and Steve enjoys doing extremely weird/sometimes stupid stuff just to learn about it (like polyphasic sleeping... or only drinking juice for 30 days), though he's very successful and happy and I appreciate all the work and writing he's done immensely. Erin is an amazing person and as long as you're not paying her for psychic readings, there's a lot of good to be learned from her articles even if you're more or less atheist like me. I was ~spiritually inclined for my mid teens mostly thanks to her, but despite dropping most the meta stuff she taught I value the lessons behind them immensely to this day.

So what I'm trying to say is, both of their sites are very hit or miss and you need to take what clicks with you and leave what doesn't, because either of them can be extremely helpful or seem borderline crazy depending on where you end up lol. You could also just listen to my well-tempered rants since I already sifted through all their stuff myself over the years, and only kept the useful/reasonable stuff. I'm not recommending anyone read their sites (maybe Erin's if you're into spiritual/meta stuff) unless you specifically want to, only the articles I specifically link to I guess. And even then it'll always be hit or miss for any given individual

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

23 minutes ago, Miri said:

Did he actually believe in anything of what he said in his past (or present?) craziness?

I mean, the only thing I can remember being totally overboard was one or two of his later "subjective reality" articles where he talked about basically making anything you want of reality. I took it as simply saying if you so chose to desync yourself from consensual reality that hard, you could, just as a proof of concept, I guess. Someone who did those things would for all intents and purposes be clinically insane, though.

He has a few things here or there that are questionable at the very least, but for the most part I at least get where he's coming from. Seems like you kind of have to know him/his articles long-term to understand him on some far-reaching topics. It's at least at the point where I don't just recommend people read all his articles that sound interesting, anymore. You can do that for Erin, though. I honestly believe she has the least-dangerous meta beliefs possible, it really seems like she makes sure people believing what she says wholeheartedly would never be worse off for it even if it was all fake, such as synchronicities about "it being time to change careers" and stuff actually stemming from your own mind, eventually giving you a placebo reason to quit a job you've been wanting to quit. I dunno, I don't think it's harmful. Unless you pay $$$ to get readings from her. I've no doubt she can offer some great, personally-tailored advice in one of those, but unless you won some big money gambling or inherited it or something and actually believe in this stuff, I would never recommend paying anything

Edited by Luminesce

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I always found it suspicious that he was so interested in helping supposed ''dream characters'' he believes to be just him. Kind of made me thought he was just saying those things to get the attention of people who want to believe that.

something something experience is experience whether or not it's real

I would never be mean to dream characters, because the simple experience of doing that isn't something I like, and I would be happy to make them happy too, if I didn't have more pressing things to do in a dream anyway. Also, my "knowing Steve" senses tell me if he referred to the rest of the world as dream characters, it was to make a point but also because he was on a subjective reality kick. None of the extremes I've seen from him actually translate to his normal, daily life. He's the epitome of trying everything once and from that experience, taking what seems good and dropping what doesn't. He just tries a lot crazier stuff than the average person, sometimes, including whole different mindsets although I bet those articles are old and he's comfortable in his current one by now. Though he also tries things like spontaneously deciding to really commit to learning to make (digital?) music for 30 days, or working out for 30 days, random stuff like that. He's big into 30 day trials of stuff, really committing to something for about that long to see how it goes, and if the experience seemed promising, he keeps at it. Wasn't always "30 Day Trials" though, might've started with like his Polyphasic Sleeping stuff, which went on for a long time by comparison

EDIT: this was supposed to be Miri but I forgot to switch accounts.

I guess that's fair enough. Note: don't take things literally.

Edited by Guest