[Game] Last one to post wins!

Pleeb

2 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

If people have the freedom to spell the word wrong, I have the freedom to complain about it and tell them it has every reason to be wrong, and there is no point in time where it'll stop being wrong, the history of the word will never cease to exist, so I'm not letting it go

and I have no plans of stopping you, however you must know that this effort is futile. trying to stop language from evolving is like trying to stop the ocean from having waves

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

• Replies 152.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Breloomancer said:

trying to stop language from evolving is like trying to stop the ocean from having waves

devolving*

I'll make some ripples in my own social bubble, might as well put the moon avatar to use

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

54 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

devolving*

I'll make some ripples in my own social bubble, might as well put the moon avatar to use

linguistic evolution always looks like devolution when it's happening, it's only after the fact that nonlinguists start to apriciate it

-Me

Foregoing all the logic and history behind how a word is spelled and legitimizing a typo is "evolution" of language the same way the society in Idiocracy is an "evolution" of current society

You can say it's evolution because things literally must go forwards based on how time works, but it's devolution in every other way

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

historically it doesn't make sense, but phonologically it does, because you pronounce the vowel on both of those words the same way. it is more useful to be able to sound out how a word is spelled than to know it's entomology in day to day usage, so by any practical measurement, the new spelling is an improvement. https://xkcd.com/2247/

-Me

Extravert is literally pronounced "extra", and then vert. What could be easier and more intuitive than that? Extrovert is a whole new word. The only point of reference is the other word often used as its opposite, introvert. So as a reference point people are choosing the o from "introvert", instead of the word "extra" that's incredibly common in daily use, let alone all its uses in other words like extraordinary.

Also this is a non-argument anyways, because it didn't even develop naturally. The original appearance of "extrovert" a hundred years ago was a literal typo - "bad latin". The fact that the word "extravert" even still exists a hundred years later says an awful lot, because any other word/spelling that's been replaced should be more or less gone at that point. Even wikipedia uses "extraversion" over "extroversion", and it's one of the first results on google when searching "extroversion".

As far as hills go, I can't think of any other hill I'm more likely to die on than this one. Most things I'm committed to aren't "hills", but this one has somehow managed to become one, it's pretty dumb

12 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

Extravert is literally pronounced "extra", and then vert. What could be easier and more intuitive than that? Extrovert is a whole new word.

introvert is /ɪntʃɹəvɹt/ extraovert is /ɛkstɹəvɹt/. is is just a reanalysis of the roots from being intro.vert and extra.vert to being int.rovert and ext.rovert.

18 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

The fact that the word "extravert" even still exists a hundred years later says an awful lot, because any other word/spelling that's been replaced should be more or less gone at that point.

no, you are just wrong here. the fact that a lot of people still use extravert after 100 years means absolutely nothing other than "linguistic evolution is slow, and it happens differently in different regions and modalities"

-Me