• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that having multiple names is cool. I wouldn't want to get rid of any of my current names, but it might be fun to get another name that I introduce myself to new people as. one group of people can know me by one name, and another can know me as another name. names can be a form of self expression just as much as they can be a way to identify someone I think

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

it would be interesting if people just gave themselves a new extra name when they were older, but I feel like then people would feel forced to do that if it was a normal thing and sooooo many people wouldn't be happy with the name they chose

anyways, welcome to the internet where we have Usernames!

Edited by Lucilyn

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Usernames are great. I wish I had something to change mine to. Tempted to just go CM and never tell anyone what it stands for lol. Cliantha Miura was just a random name I picked for a Fallout 3 character like 6 or 7 years ago and decided it was "good enough" username to go by. Didn't expect to be involved in the tulpa circles for long back then.

Iro - He/they - 30th April 1997 - Host of the system - Speaker if there's no tag

Desmond - He/him - 21st April 2014

L - He/him - 5th May 2014

Nevira - She/her - 14th December 2014

Misa - She/her - 5th December 2015

Roska - He/him - 22nd July 2019

Danyla - They/them - 13th July 2020

Asha - He/him - 13th June 2022

I like to combine morphemes together into neologisms for usernames, like 'breloomancer' (breloom + mancer). I also have some other usernames like that for some more recent accounts, but I would prefer not to name those in order to not link those names to this name. Miela, on the other hand, just likes to repeat and mash together and alter phonemes until she finds something that she thinks sounds nice, but is otherwise pretty much meaningless, that's how she ended up with 'the imign'

-Me

6 hours ago, Breloomancer said:

I wonder why most so much of the world has adopted the "given name, family name" convention, where you have one name given to you by your parents and one name that is inherited from your family (normally patrilinially). why isn't it more normal for people to also have a name that they give themselves later in life, or a name that they are given by someone other than their family, or multiple family names, given both matrilinially and patrilinially, or multiple given names? I guess that a middle name is sort of a second given name that is almost never used. titles are also more common in some cultures. I guess that there is some variety

When my mother had a year of college in Costa Rica, her ID said FirstName LastName-LastName, like Karen Morgan-Morgan (made-up name) because it's customary there to have two last names, your mother's and your father's. 

There's confirmation names. 

Sometimes middle names are used like a first name. It's not uncommon for someone's first name to be John or James or Robert or George or Arthur something like that (usually named after a father/grandfather) and then have a slightly less common/traditional middle name that they go by. I didn't know my uncle's name is actually my paternal grandfather's name for many many years because he's always gone by his middle name. The AJ I knew wasn't actually a junior but an Arthur John, after I believe his father and uncle. 

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

I think that there are 2 general categories of names: individual names, and associate names

associate names are names that multiple people who are somehow related have. this includes family names, job names, names based on where someone is from, ect

individual names are names that are given to individuals to identify them specifically, this includes given names, self given names, titles, epitaphs, ect

it makes sense that a common form of associate name is the family name, since historically families have been very important and because most people have a family to take the name of, and it also makes sense that given names are the most common form of individual names, since individual names tend to become necessary before a person is able to have most other forms of individual name

-Me