[Game] Last one to post wins!

Pleeb

45 minutes ago, Tewi said:

@ My considering gender identity a "crutch" - this isn't something anyone is going to agree with me on, it's just part of how I see the world. And perhaps our way of thinking about the trans movement relies on it.

I don't completely disagree here. I think you're trying to say don't let an aspect of identity define who you are as a person, and I think there's a lot of truth behind that. It makes me think of the movement of being "Asperger's" as an identity and not just a diagnosis, which caused a lot of uproar when asperger's syndrome because part of the general autism spectrum. I don't think being "aspie" should be the biggest part of who you are, because it's something that impairs your ability to function in life.

However, people often cling onto aspects to identify themselves with. Gray feels like he's not really himself if he's not obsessed with that math project of his, and some people identify strongly with their career. The moby dick guy's whole identity was chasing the stupid whale. I can go on and on.

Should being male/female determine your whole identity? No. But it's a part of who you are, so it's worth the hassle to assess and sort it out. I think the movement of you can be your true self by being your preferred gender makes sense, but if that's the only thing you focus on then... You need to do more forcing, go look for some hobbies or something.

As for the giving power to gender norms. It... kind of does? But it also doesn't. I don't think destroying the concept of gender is necessary. Gender is only toxic because it's part of sex, which has been abused as a means to discriminate or shun people who are different. Even identities like "gamer" and "sports nerd" can fall into this trap, even though they're small fry compared to sexuality and race.

Sadly, any identity can be twisted into a force of discrimination, and it comes with the catch that "___ power" seems to re-enforce the system. I don't think identities are the problem, the lack of respect for our fellow humans is.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

• Replies 152.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Ranger said:

if that's the only thing you focus on then... You need to do more forcing, go look for some hobbies or something.

This.

Super Girls don't cry

the gender binary is harmful. forcing people to conform to certain standards based on what genitals you have is harmful. it causes measurable damage to people. I don't know that gender is entirely a social construct, but I am quite certain that it is at least partially a social construct. just letting people be themselves would be ideal

13 minutes ago, Ranger said:

if that's the only thing you focus on then... You need to do more forcing, go look for some hobbies or something.

I think that the people who focus on just one thing as the crux of their identity are mostly preteens who are still in the beginning stages of identity formation, and for them it's fine; obviously they need to grow out of it at some point, but finding a few things that you make the core of your identity is a perfectly normal part of the identity formation process and it's not really something to worry about unless they are still doing it in their mid-late teens or later

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

Indeed

Iro - He/they - 30th April 1997 - Host of the system

Desmond - He/him - 21st April 2014

L - He/him - 5th May 2014

Nevira - She/her - 14th December 2014

Misa - She/her - 5th December 2015

Roska - He/him - 22nd July 2019

Danyla - They/them - 13th July 2020

Asha - He/him - 13th June 2022