[Game] Last one to post wins!

Pleeb

58 minutes ago, TB said:

Meditation advances and evolves and what you have to do to continue to improve at it changes as you go. If you don't realize that or if you mistake your own skill level and do things meant for a higher or lower stage, it may lead to getting not much done. 

We didn’t know that!! I suppose it makes sense but I don’t think we’ve conceptualized that very much. Like I get at first it’s focusing on something primarily, then once you’ve mastered that it’s easier to move onto a larger area of focus and master that, (trying to focus on everything at first would be overwhelming and too difficult to be ‘productive’ maybe) and I guess it would kinda change over time but it can seem counter-intuitive to visualize that.

58 minutes ago, TB said:

Having no thoughts at all is actually possible and a goal of meditation, but it isn't achieved through blocking or suppressing. It is a very advanced skill that requires different things entirely. You just have to know what those things are and do them properly long enough.

“I get that way while exercising! I call it “enlightenment” in a tongue and cheek way, because it’s like my mind’s thought-stream gets quieter. When I was younger and didn’t exercise strenuously very often or intentionally, it felt like “it made me dumb for a while.” I didn’t realize until later that I didn’t have to have conscious thoughts in focus in order to think, like there’s visual ways of thinking and non-verbal stuff and more, and the “dumbness” actually has a calming effect that was beneficial for me.

58 minutes ago, TB said:

It does start with finding something to focus on though, like the breath, and just bringing attention back to it without judgement anytime you notice it went somewhere else. With those instructions alone though, I think there is a limit to what a person might achieve. I suppose it is possible to figure it all out on your own, but it probably takes unreasonably larger amount of time and there is said chance of failing. 

“I definitely think trying to improve one’s sense of focus generally is a good idea, considering that we often don’t explicitly practice this intentionally, and modern culture and advertising etc preys on this and hopes it stays a weak skill for most people. Maybe you can change what you’re focusing on too!”

Yeah re-inventing the wheel isn’t always necessary!

58 minutes ago, TB said:

Yeah, it is important to focus a lot on quality of practice than quantity I think. I'm trying to figure that out still.

“I’ve made more progress with speed on my instrument in the past several months than I’ve made in entire years, simply because now I know how to practice more efficiently and I’m less discouraged. I can watch myself get faster pretty quickly when the practicing is focused, intentional, and consistent, while also giving myself enough rest to avoid burning out. The rate of improvement can be kinda surprising, just by being a little more efficient with the quality.”

Yeah it could take some time to figure out what’s most efficient though so that seems natural.. we learn how to learn better!

58 minutes ago, TB said:

Its same for learning Japanese. If you don't have access to English at all, it is easier. I can't break English addiction though, so my Japanese suffers. It's like trying to get buff but stuffing face with cake all the time

Yeah! “That’s like me trying to keep translating languages in my head into and from English, and it doesn’t always work and kinda holds me back. It’s a lot better when I can get more immersed in the language and use it for its own sake, and make those unique associations more immediate.”

I’m Couguhl‘s tulpa! [his words are in quotes]

..JSYK

———-

“Now I know why they have [self-]bans!” -Me

• Replies 152.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Ember Vernon said:

well im kaleb and im with ember im the host 

hi!!!!!

14 minutes ago, TB said:

Hello Kaleb and Ember

You can just call me TB 

I am the host and I have a tulpa named Rena. I have some vocality and proxying issues so she probably won't talk here for now, but she at least says hi, too

Hi everyone!! I just want to say hi 😂 including to all you tulips!!

im going to go for a run! Well.. he’s going to go for a run HAHA

I still don’t like running even while not fronting so.. haha I’m glad he likes it though, I can encourage others to do it if they want to but I don’t see how I could do that intentionally :S

..JSYK

———-

Just now, Bear said:

Have fun

Hopefully we won’t get eaten by a BEAR

”LOL. I used to actually fear that but then I learned black bears are actually adorable af and are big scared wussies. I’m not even joking, they get nervous so easily and there’s not a single record of a mother killing anyone in defense of cubs, it’s a grizzly bear trait. There’s hours of videos of people filming them just eating and shuffling through the woods right in front of them.. Sometimes they’ll do “bluster” behaviors, they might seem like they’re being aggressive if you’re not familiar with them but it’s only because they’re nervous. Anyway, ya know, gotta go”

..JSYK

———-

2 hours ago, Sierra said:

ah I see, so maybe that’s a larger issue than the specific kind of work (schoolwork) that feels like resistance - like maybe the schoolwork boringness is only a symptom and it’s less about the particular work itself! Bc if you aren’t even sure you want to do this schoolwork but “have to,” and then you know you’re just going to keep doing these classes, that’s going to be a lot harder to get through than something you’re studying for a specific reason that you can derive a sense of meaning from!

Like if you knew you wanted to be a doctor and dedicate your life to it, then you’d have decided to accept all these things that allow you to be a doctor - even though studying is hard it’s ultimately good for you and you learn to almost enjoy learning about it more because it’s getting you closer to who you want to be and it’s making you better, so you’ll have intense motivations to study and learn everything you can.

But if you’re just going to school because everyone says it’s “what you should do,” you don’t feel like there are enough good reasons to justify it, maybe it’s detracting from areas of your life that do give you a sense of purpose or meaning, you’re just trying to get through school so you can get through working so you can get through retirement so you can etc well that’s going to feel like a drag!

(We gotta do something with all that stuff in the meantime!)

And that will feel more like “getting through it” like “how can I survive this.” “What’s the point” makes perfect sense because there wouldn’t be an apparent point!

it is both the work and the reason for the work that is a problem. I have no problems with things like studying or actually learning the subject. I like learning things, even if it is things about a subject that I don't particularly enjoy. there are some tasks in some classes that I can get done easily, even if they are difficult tasks, because they are actually interesting and worthwhile to do. but there are a lot of things that are just tedious and that I wouldn't want to do even if I had good reason to, but then not having all that compelling of reasons to do them makes it even more difficult

2 hours ago, Sierra said:

What if you were actually thinking more short term here than you realized? Like it’s natural that life throws curveballs and things get in the way of goals but it’s like sailing a ship - all you have to know is where you’re going, and by that you can eventually get there and you won’t care about the short-term detours because your path is bigger and encompasses them. Because if you don’t know where you’re going maybe you’ll just be wasting energy wandering.. or at least trying to figure out a better place to go!

Life is like the ship - constantly throws you off course and moves you around in the short term, so it can be very unpredictable what could alter your plans in the moment but if you have a long term destination then it’s all okay because you can course-correct the entire time on your journey and learn to feel good because you know you’re getting closer to what you want, even if you have to go 10 miles in the wrong direction first! If you don’t have a destination you want to get closer to then I can see how any path wouldn’t really feel like a path - it would just feel like labor. Think about the word path - it implies that it’s a thing that connects you to a future place or result! There can’t just be a path with no end points or starting point because then it would just be a trail (of effort) and not a path

perhaps it would be better to have an end goal. the problem is, the things that I am currently most inclined to devote my life to are not likely to work out as a profession. as of right now, there is only 1 person who is able to make a living off of conlanging, even though there are probably at least 10s of plenty qualified people who would also want such a job. I just don't know enough about the world yet to set an end goal that I both want to achieve and have any reasonable chance of achieving

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

13 minutes ago, Sierra said:

We didn’t know that!! I suppose it makes sense but I don’t think we’ve conceptualized that very much. Like I get at first it’s focusing on something primarily, then once you’ve mastered that it’s easier to move onto a larger area of focus and master that, (trying to focus on everything at first would be overwhelming and too difficult to be ‘productive’ maybe) and I guess it would kinda change over time but it can seem counter-intuitive to visualize that.

Widening the scope of attention is part of it, yeah. I don't think I will go into detail here unless someone wanted me to for some reason, though, because it might be an annoying incomprehensible text wall, and I am also uncomfortable explaining things above my skill level. I have a different thread for meditation, but I forgot to make my next post I wanted to due to circumstances and I haven't got back to it yet.

24 minutes ago, Sierra said:

“I get that way while exercising! I call it “enlightenment” in a tongue and cheek way, because it’s like my mind’s thought-stream gets quieter. When I was younger and didn’t exercise strenuously very often or intentionally, it felt like “it made me dumb for a while.” I didn’t realize until later that I didn’t have to have conscious thoughts in focus in order to think, like there’s visual ways of thinking and non-verbal stuff and more, and the “dumbness” actually has a calming effect that was beneficial for me.

Except when my meditation was at it's best, my mind is rarely quiet. I have awful intrusive thought problem.

I'm glad you can experience that. Apparently meditation can quiet down more than just verbal thoughts, too. 

28 minutes ago, Sierra said:

"I definitely think trying to improve one’s sense of focus generally is a good idea, considering that we often don’t explicitly practice this intentionally, and modern culture and advertising etc preys on this and hopes it stays a weak skill for most people. Maybe you can change what you’re focusing on too!”

Yeah. Modern world has so many things competing for your attention. I've heard ability to focus and control your attention is a high measure for success.

31 minutes ago, Sierra said:

"I’ve made more progress with speed on my instrument in the past several months than I’ve made in entire years, simply because now I know how to practice more efficiently and I’m less discouraged. I can watch myself get faster pretty quickly when the practicing is focused, intentional, and consistent, while also giving myself enough rest to avoid burning out. The rate of improvement can be kinda surprising, just by being a little more efficient with the quality.”

Yeah it could take some time to figure out what’s most efficient though so that seems natural.. we learn how to learn better!

90% of my drawing progress probably happened in roughly a year. I am still awful at efficiently improving though.

32 minutes ago, Sierra said:

Yeah! “That’s like me trying to keep translating languages in my head into and from English, and it doesn’t always work and kinda holds me back. It’s a lot better when I can get more immersed in the language and use it for its own sake, and make those unique associations more immediate.”

Yeah that can be a bad habit. I also do that but it is because I am always paranoid of friends showing me random Japanese and asking me what it means. It is common I will understand something in japanese fully but have no idea how to say it in English anyway. I have to try localizing it and saying what they mean in a way that makes sense, instead of translating it literally, which can sound bizarre and strange. I'm not good with words, so getting the same effect is hard for me.

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

I am absolutely... refreshing and scrolling through all these posts, yep. I even check if any are directed at me, I'm paying so much attention

Hi. I'm one of Luminesce's tulpas. Unlike the others, I don't think I stand out too much from him personality wise.

I'm just special because "I'm a tulpa". So I don't think I've much to offer, here. I'm happy enough to just be with him.

Ask us stuff - https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas