• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't feel like giving my thoughts here, especially because this is relevant to the structure and health of the forums and talking about that here is like shouting into a void. I'm more casual about stuff I think is questionably thread worthy, but this discussion is critical if people have locked up frustrations about how threads are moved. I want to make sure the rest of the staff can find and see it.

I get angry when people are angry about how the forums are run and then don't actually make a thread about it to trigger discussion and a possible revision to the rules. If you want a change, make it happen!

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

this seems like unneeded bureaucracy. it already started being talked about here. it is annoying to have to switch threads. it is not shouting into a void to talk here; lots of people see it. this is about your specific moderation, so I don't see why the rest of the staff needs to be involved

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

I'm not going to moderate against the rules. Duplicate threads have to be merged, that's what I was trained to do.

There's no point in me talking about it unless you want real change to happen. I like to remind people the door is open if they want to move forward with it, but I'm not going to moderate inconsistently in the meantime.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Hmm, frustrations? That there's a necro-post once every few months? No rule will stop that, it's just a part of forum life. I laid out the facts and you can do with them as you please, but all I really said is that some ""duplicate"" threads warrant being made and discussed again. It's up to your diligence as a moderator to tell whether a thread is productive (will produce positive discussion) or destructive (will burn people out or annoy them). But for sure, when in doubt, simply don't touch the thread. All acts of moderation tend to come with a small (or sometimes large) annoyance tax of their own, people often prefer lack of moderation in truly inconsequential cases.

Edited by Reisen

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

Please don't confuse people what the rules are and are not. "The mods should" is your opinion, not the rules.

I didn't say mods have to do anything. And also, unless the rules changed when we weren't looking, recreating ancient threads if you're not comfortable responding to them has been standard procedure on .info for... at least 5 years, but possibly all of them? Anyways, I'd like to know what of anything I said you disagree with specifically

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

5 hours ago, Reisen said:

As long as the mods remember that recreating threads that existed in the past is the recommended way to avoid necro-posting, there shouldn't really ever be any problems.

This is what contradicts the rules. Duplicate threads fall under spam.

It is not against the rules to revive old threads. However, posting a duplicate thread is. It isn't a serious offense, it can be really easy to do accidentally. However, intentionally creating duplicate threads is not okay.

There is no special fine print that says you can't necro ancient threads or you can post a duplicate thread under special conditions. I'm not sure who gave you the idea posting duplicate threads is not breaking the rules.

I believe it was us, in a forum suggestions post that was confirmed by an admin, like five years ago. I guess I'll go look for it --

-- Oh, would you look at that, we suggested it and one or two users agreed with it, but a Staff member (was Nobillis a staff member? Might as well be..) said they preferred necroposting. Sort of the opposite of what I thought! Though as we see in this thread, people have been saying what we were saying since 2013. The discussions focused on the Q&A board however, because repeat threads were (and are) a pressing issue. However, there is a difference in "repeat questions" and "repeat threads" that is necessarily made by moderation on any forums we've seen, but maybe not always covered in the rules themselves?

To the Forum Q&A board!

(though for the record, I recall a later discussion with I think Vos about how to handle repeat threads, and I have the same memory of the conclusion being that it was mods' discretion as to whether a thread should be merged or not, but I don't know how to find it)

Edited by Reisen

I made a new post (fittingly, in a thread about necroposting) asking to have this clarified here: https://community.tulpa.info/topic/1880-reviving-old-threads/?do=findComment&comment=322891

But I found the thread I was talking about, and weirdly, it's been deleted: https://community.tulpa.info/topic/15590-necroposting-versus-making-a-new-thread/?do=findComment&comment=273413

Luckily I have Vos's post in the thread, though:

As long as you have something worthwhile to contribute (more than just posting something like "cool post"), it's fine to revive an older thread. And while we'll sometimes allow duplicate topics, making threads on things that have come up multiple times before like the tulpas in media threads will be merged into a megathread.

So I had this (where Vos said some duplicate threads are okay, while others will be merged, at Staffs' discretion) and the 5-years-ago thread mixed up, but I still think that was pretty great memory on my part!