[Game] Last one to post wins!

Pleeb

You think you don't understand, I had to create meaning out of your post with no context I could see, mine's just a simple pun along the lines of "789"

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

• Replies 152.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh no, you're not gonna become a Vtuber fan are you?

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

it's too late for me. I've already been following hololive EN for most of the time that it has existed (which isn't very long, to be fair)

an irl close friend of mine fell really far down the Vtuber rabbithole, and that pretty much sealed my fate. he kept sending me vtuber clips and telling me about them and seemed pretty determined to get me into them, and then one day we were talking and I told him about this musician that I had started listening to that I really enjoyed, and he revealed to me that she had recently become a vtuber (it was more recent at the time, though it is still pretty recent), and that was the straw that broke the camels back and finally got me to look into it on my own, and what do you know? turns out that it isn't just about simping over anime girls making strange, cute sounds and saying weird things in poor english (though it certainly can include that). there is a lot of variety within the vtuber scene and different creators do different things and have different audiences, and many vtubers are quite skilled at what they do. there is really a lot more to it than I had first realized

I think that the impression that I got of what the vtuber scene was like as an outsider mostly learning about it through memes and what people told me was really misleading. I think that a lot of it has to do with the self deprecating culture of weebs that made things look a lot worse than they actually are

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

Well, there's two different aspects to us not liking Vtubers. First, nearly every single Discord server we're in (the Touhou servers and doujin music servers) has had excessive HoloLive posting for months straight now, so that's been kinda annoying. And second, less of a big deal but IMO more hard hitting: Vtuber appeal is rooted in the unreal, people portraying themselves as something that first of all they aren't, but second of all won't ever be "real". Mostly harmless, sure? But the principle bothers us a bit - there's no denying the large majority of Vtubers have their appeal in being basically waifus or husbandos, and we just see this as a new extension to unhealthy obsessions (common to the "weeb" community/s, yes).

Though I feel like for the English-speaking audiences, it's just a fad, in Japan this is just a widescale realization of what Miku's holographic concerts were years ago..

It's still fun, and we're not particularly outspoken against it or anything, but I just wanted to explain our distaste so it didn't just sound like hating-because-it's-popular stuff you know?

Edited by Reisen

2 minutes ago, Reisen said:

First, nearly every single Discord server we're in (the Touhou servers and doujin music servers) has had excessive HoloLive posting for months straight now, so that's been kinda annoying

I can image that would be annoying. it's not really the fault of the Vtubers themselves though

3 minutes ago, Reisen said:

And second, less of a big deal but IMO more hard hitting: Vtuber appeal is rooted in the unreal, people portraying themselves as something that first of all they aren't, but second of all won't ever be "real"

this isn't entirely true. as I said before, there is a lot of diversity in vtubers and so different ones have different levels putting on characters. in many cases there isn't really much of a character at all except for as a thing to reference for the sake of jokes. in fact, I would even posit that the pseudo anonymity of using a virtual avatar and a fake name allows some of them to open up and be more genuine than they could be if they were using their real name and face

anyway, this seems like a really silly complaint to me, even if it were true. fucking, all fiction is by definition unreal. even reality isn't all that real; people are always putting on masks to make themselves appear in a certain way that isn't actually how they are (or rather, isn't how they are when they aren't wearing that mask). you could make this complaint about just about anything and have it be somewhat true

19 minutes ago, Reisen said:

there's no denying the large majority of Vtubers have their appeal in being basically waifus or husbandos

I don't really follow enough vtubers to be able to say what the majority is like for sure, but from what I have seen, there hasn't really been all that much of people legitimately, non jokingly simping for vtubers or expressing that someone wants to be in a relationship with them. I'm sure that it happens, probably more often than it does with other similar sorts of celebrities, but it still doesn't seem to have all that high of an occurrence

29 minutes ago, Reisen said:

Though I feel like for the English-speaking audiences, it's just a fad, in Japan this is just a widescale realization of what Miku's holographic concerts were years ago..

I disagree. those in the know have been predicting that pretty much this exact situation would happen for a few years now. conditions were good for vtubers to become popular in the west even before covid, that just happened to speed it along. after quarantine ends, the explosive growth of vtubers in the west will likely slow, but it seems unlikely that it will reverse (at least on a large scale. growth likely will reverse for some individual vtubers). vtubers are here, and they are here to stay

I think that there are some legitimate concerns about vtubers though

with hololive specifically, it is sort of unnerving to me how there are all of these rules and constraints about what you can and can't do and talk about, so nobody can ever get too real and everything is wrapped up in some sort of bubble, separate from the outside world. and sometimes they will suddenly start doing something differently and you can't know if they did it differently of their own choice or because the higher ups told them that they had to. and when people donate money to the streamers, I always wonder "how does donation money really get distributed in hololive? does it actually go to the people that it was given to?". and it is also so strange to me that you could say or do the wrong thing and get fired, and now you can't use that character or that channel anymore, even though that character basically is you. it is probably less weird for people who have already gotten used to idol agencies, and more weird to me who hates corporations

there is also the concern of parasocial relations, though that really applies to streamers as a whole, not just vtubers. but yeah, it probably isn't the best idea to think of a person who you don't really know and who doesn't really know you as a close friend

it is 20 minutes til 1AM. I have tried to go to sleep twice and failed each time. I am going to try again now. hopefully, next time I post will be in the morning after I have had some rest

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

6 minutes ago, Breloomancer said:

I don't really follow enough vtubers to be able to say what the majority is like for sure, but from what I have seen, there hasn't really been all that much of people legitimately, non jokingly simping for vtubers

Oh you sweet, summer child...

Anyways, you disagreeing with my points hasn't really made me stop believing them. We do kind of worry about "waifuism" and/or people's obsessions with anime-esque media a lot, and Vtubing just feels like it's adding to the problem. I don't feel so strongly that I want to actually argue about this, though..

But! I will bet you! You specifically think Vtuber popularity won't reverse. I bet it will, and if you and us are still here in 3 years or so, we'll see! I mean it's still rapidly expanding right now, so this won't be the exact benchmark in time. But, I'm fairly certain this is not a cultural "progression" - just a fad. Of course it'll stick to some extent - literally nothing ever hasn't - but, yeah. If it does stick, it'll be through Japan's influence, because I don't think Japan will get tired of Vtubers until the next making-fake-girls-real evolution comes along. They're... having a rough time, all around.

Hmm.. I don't want to say what I was going to say after that, because it's a super downer. Let's leave it at "Japan is having a very rough time - and 2020 is about as bad as it's ever been"

If I were to do youtube videos I would be more comfortable displaying my form. Even I wasn't, Cat wouldn't want our face anywhere near a tulpamancy video until we're really old or something.

My form is pretty real to me, and I know it's possible for singlets to create forms for themselves (Gray's form is older than the system). I wonder if some vTubers internalize their avatar to the point they see themselves as that avatar?

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread